conditions terrible

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

conditions terrible

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Don't know how many of you have seen it on the news but we are having a tough go of it here in east Tn.
We haven't had any rain here since late September and that coming on the heels of a record setting hot summer.We are in a severe drought.
Farmers are having to feed hay now as the pastures are all brown and the price of hay is getting real high if you can find anybody around here who has any to sell.
Several of the farmers I go to church with are selling off some of their stock as hay is expensive and price of beef is down.
There are over 60 wild fires burning in the mountains of western North Carolina,east Tennessee and North Georgia that have already consumed thousands of acres.
Here in Monroe County where I live and all the way up to Knoxville we have had heavy smoke that lays across the land like a heavy ground fog for over a week now.It was so thick this morning that I couldn't even see a 1/4 mile across the lake where i was running the beagles.
As far as the running/gunning goes.I'm still getting the dogs out but it's an exercise in frustration.The dogs are giving it their best but struggle to keep up on the rabbit and if they don't stay right up on him the race breaks down pretty quickly.
Pray for rain.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

RollingTrack

Re: conditions terrible

Post by RollingTrack »

:check: praying
ROLLING KENNELLS
-------HOME of-------
RILEYS ROLLING DIRTY GIRL
RILEYS ROLLING JAZZY J
RILEYS ROLLING MISS DIXIE

coondawg

Post by coondawg »

Same here in north Alabama the smoke and haze has lifted abit but still hot and dry need rain in a bad way got 4 pups need started so bad here haven't even tried and no rain in site to speak of been paying preacher but no luck!!! good luck to y'all have heard of the fires will be praying for everyone that way

kwolf

Post by kwolf »

Hey Dana hope things get better for you down there , we got some rain and even a little snow here in Ohio today, temps have fallen thru the floor, yesterday it was 74 today it never got out of the 30's.Good luck on better weather and some great conditions to get them hounds out , you probably got spoiled up in the new england states. Take care Ron

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey Ron
Yes I did enjoy the running up in Vermont and New Hampshire.Most everyday the running was flat out pedal to the metal races and boy I just love to hear half a dozen beagles pounding for an hour or two race on a hare.
Been back to Tn. now for a month and with conditions the way they are the races are very picky,stop and go and long checks.The beagles are giving A+ performances as to their efforts but results fall short. As a friend of mine used to say when the dogs were giving less than a stellar performance "I'd hate to be trying to sell a dog today".
Oh well.....most any beagle can run when the conditions are perfect.This is where they've got to really get down and work at it.
Praying for some rain.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

I don't remember in my life ( 58 yrs. ) very being this dry with whatever it was ... 77 days or so above 90*F prior to this drought . I've talked to countless ol timers both hunters & farmers and either do they. It's been over 60 days with only 2 or 3 tenths of an inch of rain . As of today we are nearing negative 11" of rain .... no relieve insight according to weather man !!
I was able to start my 2 pups that are 8 months old ... but it's go'n be hard to make rabbit dogs out of them I'm afraid . Seems to be several rabbits this year but scenting
is almost impossible.
My papaw always said you cant control the weather and to be thankful for what the good Lord give's ... so I will be thankful . But I pray for rain not so much for me but for the farmer and the folks fighting all these wild fire's risking life & limb ... saw yesterday where 1 of these brave folks lost his life up in KY. so I pray for his family and hope everyone take's great caution with any burning of leaves and brush . As I understand 9 of 10 forest fire's are started by humans .
As ol DR says keep looking up
rv
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

I guess what ever comes, we all got something to complain about.
I told my kids I never seen summer like they did growing up. All our grass burnt up and only the weed needed mowing, we never had green lawns to mow in the summer. Some yrs field corn looked like popcorn and I rode the wagon and gleaned the corners where father would knock down the corn with the single row picker, so none went to waste. Some yrs we baled the bean stubble for lack of hay, very dirty, heavy and worn out your jeans and tore up your arms. No-till was developed for dry seasons to save soil and hold what moisture there was in the ground.
Hard times test where we fall short, whether man or his hounds. It's where those that fill the middle can show their worth when the going gets tuff. When the cruse control kicks off, you get to see who can hold the road with a singleness of mind and the endowed gifts to get the job done.
Every day a new lesson for the young and a reminder to the old...Thinking of changing my handle to Jumpdawg#1 . :biggrin:

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Condition can be tough at all times of the year. But getting out with your hounds is what its all about. I have never own a trial dog or a field champ. But when the time for a tune up I never looked at conditions to turn them loose to see what happens. Turned loose with 20 to 30 miles per hours winds when others said its tough on dogs and turned loose and watched then snort up dust. Its all about getting out to see what your dogs got in them to hear a race. Bottom line they will make the best of conditions no matter. It can only make them better for when condition are right. Get out when you can and you might find the dog you least expect show signs you never expected. Bad days give you the right to brag on a dog not the days even a poodle can run a rabbit.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Bluemouse, I agree. I'm going out running in a few minutes. Me and a buddy went out last week and had some pretty good races. Each race is different depending on the terrain the cottontail chooses. Some days, once the rabbit takes to the woods, there is just no scent left on the leaves. Its tough on the dogs but thick briars and weeds seem to provide the best opportunity. Its been so dry here there is hardly any dew.in the mornings.

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Its so dry here yesterday I saw a bush chasing a dog.

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

And yet, most people in your state's don't believe in global climate change and voted in the dude saying it's a Chinese hoax...

Not to be too political but if we don't do something our planet is going to be uninhabital for billions of humans.
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

Maybe we should stick liberals in a bubble and stop them from sucking up good oxygen. With all their whining and crying they are doubling up whats needed to survive.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Eight years ago, Obama promised that he was going to heal the planet and make the oceans recede. Ten Trillion more dollars in deficit, coal mines shut down, and climate is still changing. Hmmm? Maybe there is a higher power laughing at liberals puffed up opinion of themselves.
Obama has already chosen seven multi million dollar mansions where he plans to live. Sounds like he is truly concerned with waste.

fatboy

Post by fatboy »

Global warming started at the end of the last ice age. And before that it was warm when the dinosaurs were here.

bluemouse

Post by bluemouse »

The lies started with Gore and continued with Obama pushing their green agenda. Studies show polar ice caps the same as a hundred years ago. The weather runs in cycles and if we were in a cold cycle I bet liberals would be selling snow cones machines for profit.