Garmin Alpha TT15 - Range/Distance it'll function?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Wicker's Beagles

Garmin Alpha TT15 - Range/Distance it'll function?

Post by Wicker's Beagles »

Pretty sure Ol' Santa Claus is going to put a brand new Garmin Alpha TT15 Combo under my tree this year......

My question is for those that are using this equipment: How far in these steep Appalachian Hills will one of these outfits actually track /train a dog?
Can I consistently get up to 3 or 4 miles or is that stretching it?
It's advertised at 9 mile range and I'm smart enough to know that's not happening where I hunt, If I can get half that it'll be alright.
If not I'll have a new one for sale soon.

Swampman

Re: Garmin Alpha TT15 - Range/Distance it'll function?

Post by Swampman »

Farthest mine have reached until lost signal was 1.7 miles.
This was with standard length collar and handheld antennas.

If you looking at buying new, go with the TT15 mini for beagles.
Check out DU supply, all prices will be the same wherever you buy it however DU will give you an additional 6 month warranty.
They know these systems inside out, you call them with a question, they have the answer immediately.
http://www.dusupply.com/

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

There are at least (2) other antennas for the hand held. One is collapsible and extends to 42". I know for fact it will get strong signal in moderate cover for at least 4 miles. The other is a flexible one that is 13" in length. I have both and carry them in my fanny pack. I've had to use the collapsible a couple times and swap out between the standard and 13" one as needed. It is a great feeling to have the extended one pick up the dogs when both the others show no signal. At the very least I'd suggest you get the 13" one to have available. I've had the DC-30's w/Astro 220's and both TT15's and Mini's. Basically they've been trouble free for me. I live and hunt in mountainous country and have been very pleased with how mine have worked nearly flawlessly. You might suggest Santa check with the distributor he(she) chooses to buy from and see what they throw in for extra deals. DU Hound Supply also has a loner program in the event one of your collars should have an issue. You call them with a shipping tracking # and your method of shipping and they'll send you the loner the same day and way you shipped yours. This enables your to loose no more than one day without a working collar if you need it providing you use Next Day Delivery services. The owners are young guys who are very tech savy and are cat and lion hunters who use the product personally on a regular basis. Great guys to do business with.

snowshoehareguide

Post by snowshoehareguide »

tell santa to drop off a rooftop antenna for your truck if you need 3-4 mile range-
http://harehunter.tripod.com/ snowshoe hare guide service

Budd

Post by Budd »

Here is a video showing the range I get with a roof mount antenna. Flat land between myself and the collars, no fields, only mature white pine forest with a few cedar swamps mixed in.
As other have mentioned.. cant go wrong ordering from Double U Hound Supply.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Q3pGWFSNY