shock collar methods/advise

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

CampReynoldsCorey

shock collar methods/advise

Post by CampReynoldsCorey »

What are your methods for training with a shock collar. Never owned one before and would like to here how you use it. Most videos I have seen are for training bird dogs.

Newt

Re: shock collar methods/advise

Post by Newt »

I train mine as soon as they're old enough and big enough to carry the collar. First I teach them to come to me by calling. When I install the collar I tone them and call. Maybe give them a treat when they come. If they get stubborn, I shock them on the lowest setting. Depending on the blood line it usually doesn't take much reinforcement to get their attention. Some dogs can be ruined if you use too much power. Some dogs scream at level one and come running. Others ignore level three. Use what is necessary to accomplish the task, and use it sparingly.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

Newt, WELL PUT SIR ! no further advice needed...

rinkydink

Post by rinkydink »

I use mine to stop a bad behavior such as chasing a deer. I do not believe it can teach a dog to DO anything, only to stop behavior.

Just me, you mileage may vary

Tom aka rinkydink

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I've been around guys who will use the shock collar on their dog for anything and everything under the sun.Shock em for this shock em for that etc.They usually end up with a dog that is so nervous / scared that he doesn't know whether to s**t or go blind.Bottom line is the dog has to KNOW what it is you're shocking him for before he can be corrected or convinced to do the right thing.If you've never taught the dog to come when called,why would you expect him to run to you cause you're causing him pain/discomfort? Start off like Newt said and progress from there.
My hounds from pups on have been taught to come in when called.If they refuse they have learned that the tone plus me calling is next followed by a low setting shock with an increase in strength if they continue to ignore me. A few times like that and they usually will respond to the tone only.Had a friend who had never really taught his dog to handle in the field.He'd call and call and the dog would hunt on ignoring him.He'd get ticked off and start shocking the dog.You think that dog was rushing back to him? No way.He headed off in the opposite direction and every time he shocked him you could hear him scream further and further away until he shocked him right out on a state 4 lane where we found him dead 2 hours later.
With a shock collar dialed up to the high setting i can make any dog STOP what they are doing with the force of the shock.The focus of the e-collar is to TRAIN the dog to do what you want him to do or stop doing what you don't want him to do.
When my son was young I could make him stop doing anything by jacking him up and giving him a licking.Did he stop?Sure But it was usually more effective to explain to him what he was getting a licking for.
I use the shock collar for basically two things only.One is to get my hounds to come to me when called and I do a progression as Newt explained.The other is to stop trash runs on off-game.In other words anything other than a rabbit.With off- game I cut them no slack.It's the highest setting with no ifs,ands or buts.I've found it to be most effective if you can light em up the very first time or two they go on that deer/fox/etc.If you can shock them right at the beginning you most times have got the battle won before it even gets started.Let them get away with it a few times and it's that much harder.
One last word about a shock collar----When in doubt,DON'T!! There's been a ton of promising hounds that have been ruined by ignorant use of a shock collar.
As always.JMHO
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

pztrailman

Post by pztrailman »

The only thing I will add is get the dogs use to the collars before you shock them. Put the collars on when they are in their kennel or playing in the yard. Even let them run a rabbit. If you shock them right away when your first put the collar on they will associate the shock with the collar. Mine can't wait to get the collar on, they know they are going running.

Newt

Post by Newt »

rinkydink wrote:I use mine to stop a bad behavior such as chasing a deer. I do not believe it can teach a dog to DO anything, only to stop behavior.

Just me, you mileage may vary

Tom aka rinkydink
I once felt that way but I have a different opinion on some dogs. If you have a dog that has an aversion, to getting into rough stuff, briars and vines,(can't take the pain of briars) I wouldn't recommend trying to pressure them. However, I have been successful in teaching some of my beagles that hunting in briars is to their advantage. I can tone them and point and they will quickly start hunting where I tell them. Others will go in but go right through and hunt on the other side in the trails.
I've messed up a few so I've learned as well. Pay attention to the dogs sensitivity and their desire, or lack of desire before I put too much pressure on them.

513Moogie

Post by 513Moogie »

I agree with most all responses and I will add I feel its best to teach the command first then reinforce it with the collar. I have three 4 month old pups that will kennel, come, and not touch their food [ wo] without a collar. Hotdogs are a good reward as you can let them bite off little pieces. Don't let a timid dog fool you because timid means I don't want to do what you want me to. The collar removes you from being the bad guy that causes discomfort but you still want to be the pack leader and let them know that. Only use the stimulation that is necessary to get the proper response. Stop trash running the first time you take them out and make it a priority each time you take them out. The collar is there to protect the dog and your investment in time and money. Let the dog tell you what it needs and use it wisely. It is the best tool there is for dog training, period. Your goal is to train them well enough that you don't need to use any stimulation at all and you get to spend lots of time enjoying them in the field.

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

Shady They should run to you because they see you as there protector. If you spend enough time with them as pups most will do this. Lots of good of advice here.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

chris axtell / coal hill ken

In my post I said "If you've NEVER taught the dog to come when called,WHY would you expect him to run to you cause you're causing him pain / discomfort?
My hounds from pups on have been taught to come in when called".

I have never had a dog run away from me when shocked.They always will come to me.But I've seen plenty others that either run the opposite direction or go off and hide.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

cris axtell/coal hill ken

Post by cris axtell/coal hill ken »

Because they see you as there protector and pack leader. my pups are born and raised in the house and I realize that most people cant do this. I do not have to intentionally teach my dogs to come when called. it's a natural behavior starting as soon as they can walk. If one of the older dogs nips at a pup they run to me for comfort. Once in the field the shock color is reinforcement of natural behavior. The advice you gave was very good for people who can't do it how I do it.
COAL HILL KENNELS. LP GR CH Coal Hill's Brush Buster. 2014 PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Mama Cass. 2010 PA state champion LP R CH GR BCH Coal Hill's Princess Willow HOG DOG POWER!!!!