Garmin - State Huntview Maps - Mini SD Cards

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Wicker's Beagles

Garmin - State Huntview Maps - Mini SD Cards

Post by Wicker's Beagles »

I recently put a Garmin Huntview Mini SD Card in my Alpha TT15 combo for the state of OHIO and it's a great addition, it's basicly Birdseye for an entire state plus a whole lot more pertinent useful information. The Garmin Huntview cards come preloaded by state, so put the card in your handheld, select enable mapping and your ready to go, you don't have to create your own maps or download area files like the typical Birdseye subscription does.

I got beagles and also coon hunt with a wide hunting rangy walker hound in these steep Appalachian Southern Ohio woods, its great for gettin in and out of these hills & hollows when a hound is treed deep in the Wayne National Forest wilderness, or a beagle decides to venture off into the vast unknown.

So far it's been a great purchase for me.... These mini SD cards cost around $80.00 per state from most Garmin Supply Dealers

:dance:

steve w

Re: Garmin - State Huntview Maps - Mini SD Cards

Post by steve w »

I like Huntview too, sure beats downloading birdseye when your at new areas. The 24K Topo and ability to tell if your on private ground and even who owns it are must haves for me. I tried the Onyx card and did not like it as much, I think the lack of birdseye was the biggest factor.

HD Ultra

Post by HD Ultra »

How do these cards match up if you already have sections of Birdseye downloaded? Thanks.

Wicker's Beagles

HD Ultra - all you'd have to do is remove your existing SD Card from your handheld and replace it with one of the Garmin Huntview Sd Cards for the appropriate State your hunting

HD Ultra

Post by HD Ultra »

Thanks

Mo. Beagler 5000

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

How do I get a huntview card?
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

horsrman

Post by horsrman »

Amazon.com, E-Bay, Gun Dog Supply probably many others. :)

Big River Beagles S

Post by Big River Beagles S »

I live on border of Iowa, Illinois and Missouri and hunt in all three, so I would have to buy a map card for all three and change it every time I change states if I am correct on this.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

From what I see there are only a very few states available. Least wise when you do a search for Garmin State Hunt View Maps not many show up. Nothing for the New England states.

Wicker's Beagles

The Garmin Huntview SD Cards are a fairly new concept and is still a work in progress, OHIO was just added in late 2016 and it is a great mapping tool, much better than just a simple small download of a Bird's Eye area map.
I'd suggest if you desire a Huntview map not yet on the available list, pick up the phone contact Garmin and express your interest of what you desire. If they see a demand for something chances are they'll develop it to be marketed and purchased, after all they are in business to sell products.

This link will help explain what is covered to date:

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/blog/fisha ... 32-states/

Butch

Post by Butch »

I just purchased a SD Card for Montana in October. I went on an Elk Hunting trip. Used it 4 days. I will sell it if anyone is interested in getting one for Montana. Paid $99 for it. Call me at 906-932-5979

steve w

Post by steve w »

Kind of interesting reading the drawbacks , Big River you made me remember using a county map book it seemed like everywhere I hunted was on two or more pages. I was talking to a coyote hunter the other day and he bought a Huntview and could not see the imagery very well, said it was dark. I told him it was probably his hand held unit and he said that's what he thought but was told by the place he bought from that the card had to much info on it and that's why it's that way, mine is fine. I also wonder why not much available on the east coast, states to small? or is they just haven't got there yet. Seems they started out west first. One of the guy's at Double U said they like Onyx better because it had better landowner info. I used satellite imagery before Garmins were on the market, had a subscription to some web sight called mapcard, I thought it was great. I would go hunt new area's and when something got my attention I would mark it on a regular GPS then go home and put the coordinates in the mapcard program and see a topo or satellite image of the area, learned quite a bit real quick that way. I suppose hunview isn't for everyone but I'm glad I got it.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

I had the birds eye when I first bought the Aplpha. I hated it and got rid of it. Before I buy this new Hunt Map I'll want to see it on someone else's unit. I love the GPS collars and would not want to go back to not having them, yet there is somewhat of a down side of sorts. When I first got in to coonhounds some 40 years ago I learned I'd better get good with a compass. I liked hunting big country and quickly figured out that a compass was trustworthy. Note: I still carry one just because!

Most of the guys in that day would only hunt the easy spots where a compass was not needed due to easy accessibility. The GPS has made people much bolder and some of my once noted "honey holes" were generally safe as few were willing to venture in to them for fear of losing dogs or themselves. That's all changed now! Kind of a selfish view I know, yet there are to many that seemingly think there is an endless supply of game and get more thrill from the kill than the houndwork. Wether coon then or hare now, I was always taught conservation was the path to preservation. The game has always been more valuable to me alive than dead as I can never hear my hounds run dead game again! Most of us today aren't dependent on what we shoot to survive.

cut2dchase

Post by cut2dchase »

I have Garmin Huntview for Ohio, the satellite imagery is not as clear
as birdseye. I like the land owner boundries and info, It works well with
Basecamp ,which is free from Garmin.

Chip E

Post by Chip E »

I have most of the states in stock or I can get them within 3 days if I don't have in stock they are $79.99 plus the shipping. Garmin has 32 states now and are working on more states.

Thank You
Chip Eisenhut
Eisenhut Dog Supplies
304-984-1430