Style of trial.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Re: Style of trial.

Post by CASKEY'S KENNEL »

Tim G wrote:I live in the Deep South I find them to be the slowest of all in spo
Yep you rite. They want them to line up like a train down here . Slow moving train that is .
"WHERE THE DOGS DO THE TALKING"
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900
BEAVERCREEK Karma KIckaz sister
HUNT-EM-UP BLAZER'S MARGRET. 5 AKC FC
IFC BANGOR'S BARKIN BLUE ELVIS 4 AKC FC

Hubbard84

Post by Hubbard84 »

I was at a large pack on hare trial recently with poor running conditions. I thought it would be interesting, and it was. There was 37 dogs down and they couldn't sustain a chase. One time dogs were moving toward the gallery and a hare was seen crossing the trail..sounded like dogs over ran the track. We heard my dog picking away on the check trying to figure it out, when another dog opened a ways away and off they went. When they are running in a pen full of hare they can roam and hit another... come through first and get points. If you're running some of these style dogs better hope for a lot of game.

Welshman

Post by Welshman »

Boys, boys, boys, I have some Ranger Dan dogs and they do the job just fine. Are you sure your dogs are running rabbit? Those swamps get pretty thick. I have seen dogs run off game and when they take off like rockets my dogs come back and settle in on the old cottontail while those off game chasers are last seen at the county line.
All in fun gentlemen!

South Woods kennel

Post by South Woods kennel »

Good check hound woulda had it n rolling out wid it before another rabbit was up.
Home of:

FC Lp South Woods Snooper
FC South Woods Cyclone
FC South Woods Miley
FC Lp South Woods Balla
CNLPC IFC South Woods Libby
NR FC South Woods Spike
FC South Woods Hazel

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

How you doing Bob? Good to know your still up and around and running the beagles.Good post and enjoyed the insights.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Newt

Post by Newt »

Hubbard84 wrote:I was at a large pack on hare trial recently with poor running conditions. I thought it would be interesting, and it was. There was 37 dogs down and they couldn't sustain a chase. One time dogs were moving toward the gallery and a hare was seen crossing the trail..sounded like dogs over ran the track. We heard my dog picking away on the check trying to figure it out, when another dog opened a ways away and off they went. When they are running in a pen full of hare they can roam and hit another... come through first and get points. If you're running some of these style dogs better hope for a lot of game.
Yeah! Trialing seems to go from one end of the spectrum to the other.
Back in the walky talky peanut roller days, the dogs "looked beautiful dying on a check".
As the poster said, LPH beagles were brought south to put some efficiency back into the beagle breed. Then they brought more, and more, and more until there are no more checks, just get another rabbit, another rabbit, and another rabbit, until we get tired, and them we will declare a winner.
Feed what you like. Life is to short to bicker, just enjoy your dogs.

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

Dana,
Having fun. I was running in a UKC club that imploded. That was fun and very close. I haven't been to a Large Pack trial in several years. I thought I had something and both got pickup together "laying a line". Probably more nose then everyone else and couldn't prove it. Oh well. What are you running now? As I recall you were heavy into Ninja. I breed my heavy Ninja bitch to Grave Digger (Lumberjack) which gave me Jack up close several times. Only a little over 1 year old. I've got old dogs with old blood and young dogs without experience. Not much in between, but maybe some young old blood pups. My very best female is a grand daughter to Heli-Prop and Super Dog and I finially got a breeding to here at 10 years old. I think she only comes in heat once a year. I have 3 with this cross, and breeding all. Basically all my hounds are Heli-Prop close, Ali-Baba close, Ninja close, Jack close and shamefully very little Ranger Dan close, sire i owned for a long time one of his best. I had to buy a pup I sold to get it back.

What are you breeding? I might be interested in a few pups.

I've been running and being successful in the NBC Triple Challenge. My son judged last year so I didn't run. but looking forward this year. Great time and no chasing ribbons, just bragging rights. That was the last time I saw you, where have you been? Are you going this year?

Bob

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey Bob
Good to hear from you.You still sportin' the world's biggest mustache? Got a picture of you,your wife and son chowing down in the dining hall at the 2006 National Beagle Club's Triple Challenge event.Man does time fly by.
The only Large Pack on Hare trial I've entered a dog in the past 21 years was Claremont Beagle Club's licensed trial in 2011. I was just coming off hare hunting my females 12 out of 14 days in Vermont and then Maine. My hunting buddy is a member at Claremont and was marshaling that weekend and said "you should enter your dogs and see how they do".
I didn't know if they'd have any gas left in the tank but figured what the heck? The three of them had never been in a trial before so I was curious as to how they'd look.
They ran that trial for 7 1/2 hours. At the end my 3 were still in the winner's pack when they called Field Trial.Shady Grove's April Rain took 1'st, Shady Grove's Whistlin' Dixie took 3'rd and Shady Grove's Sassy Sierra [Rain's dam ] stayed down till the end but didn't place.My friend Bob Ferranti owns Rain's litter mate sister Daisy who I was handling [also in her first trial ] and she also stayed down until the end. Pretty tough dogs.
Wayne Heckley was judging that day and in my opinion Wayne is one of the best,most respected,veteran judges in the Large Pack trials [he also does plenty of S.P.O ].
For about 10-12 years I hit the A.R.H.A. Little Pack circuit pretty hot and heavy both as a competitor,judge and master of hounds. Took about that long before I completely burnt out on the trialing aspect of the sport.
Nowadays it seems I'll go to a trial about once every 4-5 years.I'll get the itch to go see who's who, what they're running for dogs and see what my pot lickers can do.It had been 5 years so about a month ago I went to Jessamine County's licensed trial in Ky. My 3 females made it through 2'nd series but that was as far as we got.Judges said they didn't do a thing wrong,just got out scored. I thought they looked fine and I enjoyed my time there and visited with some real hounds men.
Nowadays I pretty much spend my dogging time gun hunting with friends or pleasure running with them.Got a buddy that owns a camp in northern Vermont's Northeast Kingdom and get up there to hare hunt with him whenever possible.Have had another friend way up in northern Maine we stay with and this year spent a week in northern New Hampshire where we rented a cabin and pounded em for a week.
After the Jessamine trial I spent a couple of days hunting with Josh Stofer in western Ky. and then several days down in the Tn. River bottoms of west Tn. hunting swampers with Ed Stutz.
I'm still running dogs with I.F.C. Maravic's Blue Ninja in them top and bottom.Haven't seen any others that I like as much. Although 22 years after Ninja's passing it's getting harder to claim" Ninja" in your bloodline.I always promised myself I wouldn't be trumpeting some "name" hound in my pedigrees 50 years after his death. LOL.
The impressive thing about Ninja is that 22 years later you still see his name with frequency is some of today's top hounds.
Over the past 5 years I've become close friends with Jonah Staten of Ohio. I've traveled up to Jonah's several times to run dogs with him and pick up a couple of pups.Jonah is a Jiggs linebreeder and has been for many years, ever since spending time with Ray Morel [Jiggs owner ] in Canada and running Jiggs and obtaining dogs out of him.
Jonah bred one of his females to I.F.C. Greenwell's Reggie about 9 years ago with excellent results =Staten's Blue Samurai. Sam has never been trialed but he has been bred to over 30+ times with good results.I've run with Sam,his litter mate sister and dogs out of Sam and I'm a believer.
I had a litter born this morning that I have posted on up-coming litters.This is pretty much where my breeding efforts are right now.I bred this female to Canadian Ft.Ch. Threejays Jack's Fly Man 2 years ago with good results and hoping for the same out of Bomber. A proven cross? Heck no! I'm keeping my fingers crossed just like we all do.LOL.
Hey,you mentioned your Boomer dog [Ranger Dan x Cool Running Sonic ] several times. Isn't that the dog you got from Ted Peercy 15+years ago? If it is I ran with that dog a bunch and probably even handled him in a couple of trials. Ted was a regular running buddy of mine and he ended up getting the dog from Don Potts when Potts was placing dogs with handlers/part owners all over the U.S. As you mentioned Boomer was a "blue collar " hound that could absolutely get the job done and was as steady as the day is long.I believe Ted let him go as he was not quite as footy as the dogs we were running at the time and maybe a tad too conservative for the Little Pack.A very nice hound though in all respects.
Guess I've run on about as much as anyone can stand................what happens when you've become an old retired fart with time on your hands.
I thank the Lord each day that I can run dogs as much as I want and have the health to do it. So ya,Bob. Still having fun.
Dana
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

Boomer was Mojavadesert-Ky Sonic Boom. Mojavadesert was Don Potts and don't remember who the KY was. Boomer really liked deer and was sent to a "Deer Camp" and I picked him up from someone in south central KY at an AHRA Little Pack trial. I am sure you know the place, it is located in a time zone black hole. I remember driving a short distance to a motel from the club house and popped in and out of central time zone several times. I entered Boomer into the trial and he was scratched for running deer. I guess he flunked deer camp. He was about a 1 1/2 old. I kept him and gunned him for Potts for about a year. We got him run up and entered him in the Futurity, he stayed down just no trophy. We entered him in some hare trials and when run up he was never picked up, but never placed either, so Potts sold him and I was lucky enough to be in the right place, it was my car, I was driving and we were returning from the Canadian Nationals. Now that could have been Ted Peercy, everything fits. Now Chad Peercy (Ky, Midwest SPO fame) and I went into partners on Blazer when Potts had to move 100 dogs in seven days. I picked up NrIFC Three Jay's Jack's Trouble (Shaker and Angie) at the same time. I did get that last win on her 6th birthday in the Adrondacks on the day after she had stayed down for the entire trial on the previous day in Maine, short night. Trouble is the finest example of the power of soloing I know of. I took Trouble, Becky and Sis to Mike Mcpheasons to be conditioned. Becky was hard hitting (NY style), Sis was smooth (Maine style) and Trouble was the first dog out in 3 straight trials, very hard hitting. Trouble burned her pads off on Mike's rocks in his pen, so he laid her up for 2 weeks and soloed her around noon with no one else in the pen for the next 4 weeks. He apologized for not being able to get her into better shape. Now she is placing in Maine, she got her 10 2nd up there, Sis was placing there also and Becky was first dog out. She went from a headbanger to a smooth machine in that 4 weeks. Becky was fired up, she was first out, plenty of gas in the tank. Sis placed the previous and couldn't lift her head. Harry Snow's told me to enter Trouble, regardless. I did and she won. She remained clean for the rest of her life. I did breed her to Boomer and had an exceptional derby that some how broke her back. I've purchased a Boomer and Threejays Jack's Flash female and it is the only Boomer's blood in my kennel. I was too busy breeding Blazer and suddenly Boomer is gone at not even 9 years old. Go figure. He was a true rabbit dog.