gun dogs :vs: trial dogs---how about MEAT dogs? !

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

adirondackjoe

Re: gun dogs :vs: trial dogs---how about MEAT dogs? !

Post by adirondackjoe »

RabbitEarl I have read your post a dozen times and still don't understand what you're trying to say. I'm not saying your wrong, I just don't understand.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

x2
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Pine Lakes

Post by Pine Lakes »

I find it hard to believe that anyone actually keeps 2 different "sets" of dogs to trial and hunt. Seems inconceivable to me, but maybe I'm naïve.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Pine Lakes wrote:I find it hard to believe that anyone actually keeps 2 different "sets" of dogs to trial and hunt. Seems inconceivable to me, but maybe I'm naïve.
I think you are more apt to see that occurr amongst many who regularly frequent the AKC Large Pack on Hare circuit. Maybe it is the case in the other formats as well. Only other format I've seen is ARHA LP and that was only once. For years the majority of LPOH trials have been conducted in enclosures. I'm not a trialer but have belonged to a club for 24 years that hosts 2 LPOH trials every year. The majority but not all of folks who travel the circuit in the Northeast, rarely if ever, cast a hound out in the wild. I'm sure you know or can imagine all the issues that can develop from a life time of being run in an enclosure.

As I've stated before, I have a tremendous respect for those folks who turn loose the same hounds they consistently place in trials when they go to the woods to hunt. I've never been to a Midwest format trial but from what I read and hear from the folks that do, this would be the format I believe would suit me best. From the sounds SPOH would be very close to Midwest but the majority of those trials here in the Northeast are conducted in enclosures also.

rabbitearl

Post by rabbitearl »

Try having a trial with just a few rabbits. Then go rabbit hunting with just a few rabbits, in hunting is what 10 two 15 min the rabbit is back.Bang. find me another one. There hard to find when there not there. I am not having a gun in my hand to hear the dogs run theres plenty of time to do that in the off season. Some guys like me wants a good rabbit jump and the dogs bring it back to the gun. Some don t care.as long there in rabbits and jump an run 100 hds then bang. There happy. Hey I ve been on that side too. But when you find a rabbit and its an hr or so before you find another one. That's gets old to me. There just no rabbits. Same thing in a trials.Its gets old real fast when theres no rabbits. Rabbits are very imported in the thing we like to do. That's the reason I say. Rabbits makes the dogs look good. I see maybe some of you guys are lucky to have plenty of rabbit. There are places around here that I ve never trap a rabbit or kill one with the dogs. Thick thick places too. They just want hold rabbits. Why I don t know. Then some places always rabbits. Today I ve got 4 different pack of dogs running in my pens. These guys are not coming to run with just a few rabbits.

If you don t understand what I am saying. Let me go to your place that you hunt or just run dogs and give me just one week with my rabbit boxes I want catch them all. But the next time you go there you will see what I am talking about. Talking about cotton tail. If you see a big cat eating a rabbit in the place you run dogs. Would you say good cat or bad cat. Its like a man told me one time. I don t need but one rabbit for my dogs. He told a lie.

JovanJ

Post by JovanJ »

Hey Rabbitearl.I see your point.To me just my opinion of course.Amount of rabbits Depends on the situation.A Few buddies running.Let's get in a mess of rabbits.More fun,always will be.But if it's just me and my hounds.A few is all I want.I want to see grit in my hounds.30-40min with no jump? No problem.But they never stop searching.I love that.Then when they jump 1.Cherry on top,now give it hell .

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

like i said...

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

In my "OPINION" guys that feel all three can't be one in the same, haven't owned or seen hounds that can do all three.
I just call my hounds "hounds", simply put, they are hunting hounds that I trial, no more, no less.
I have been accused of being too picky and to a word "anal" for my expectations of a hound from my friends.

Here are two of my hounds from today, my FCGD Bonnie and Rhett, she has an NBQ in SPO on Hare and will be 2 years old in May.
Missing is 11 month old Bojo who was lame on one front leg this morning so I left him behind in the kennel today.
I run my hounds year-round and do require them to be a hunting hound first and foremost before I trial them.

Not saying my hounds are better than anyone elses hounds and I will say that there are more than myself that both hunt and trial their hounds.

Bonnie put on a clinic today for a worthless FCGD! :D

Last edited by Swampman on Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

Looks like you had a good day in the field swamp man,i would take your worthless fcgd any day, either one, nice looking dogs to boot, :check: