Good Dog

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Budd

Good Dog

Post by Budd »

For sake of discussion. Should a good dog always look good no matter what it is ran with? I'm guessing a good dog will stand out when ran in a brace, but what happens when he is thrown into a pack of 4 or more with a couple of them being disruptive?
Myself I think a good dog SHOULD look good no matter how many disruptive dogs it is down with..I personally don't think I have ever seen one though :( . Closest I've come to seeing one was Penny, bitch that came from Steve Margaurd. She was usually so far ahead of the pack that nothing could get in front of her to disrupt her...LOL
Pack I'm running now I don't have any stand out good dogs, all can be influenced by their pack mates. Burns my ass at times but I guess that's what Im dealt when I only run a pack.
I'm sure there are some GOOD dogs out there that can look good in bad company but to that I question for how long before caving to the pressure? Will that dog have to have some solo time to bandage it up to hide the competiveness, or shouldn't a good dog need that extra time spent on it?

Welshman

Re: Good Dog

Post by Welshman »

A good dog may not always look good no matter what, but a great one would IMO and I think that is what a few off us want. Would have really enjoyed watching that Penny dog run. You don't have any videos of her in your archives?
Stubborn old beagle with only one thing on his mind getting that rabbit!

Budd

Post by Budd »

Welshman wrote:A good dog may not always look good no matter what, but a great one would IMO and I think that is what a few off us want. Would have really enjoyed watching that Penny dog run. You don't have any videos of her in your archives?
Stubborn old beagle with only one thing on his mind getting that rabbit!
I was just getting into videoing when I had her here, partner Norwester may have some, he had her up there with him a long while as well. We had deep bawl mouth dogs that would start squealing trying to stay up with her. She was not good for a guy that runs only pack's but she was as addicting as hell and you couldn't leave her at home...LOL. Only one like her I ever seen..

Budd

Post by Budd »

Welshman wrote: Would have really enjoyed watching that Penny dog run. You don't have any videos of her in your archives?
Found one, its a old clip with a not so good camera. I remember this day, was in the -20's with DEEP snow, in first clip my son shot his first ever hare. Second clip we put her on a 20 minute old kickout track just to see if she could take it...that day was the coldest I ever run, was -32 air temp!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnid4_c ... e=youtu.be

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Any idea what penny was out of in her first 3 generations?

Budd

Post by Budd »

Nope, sure cant but knowing Steve in 3 generations there were probably only 4 dogs...LOL. He was a die hard close inbred breeder.

Welshman

Post by Welshman »

Watching those dogs fight through that snow is amazing. I have never ran or hunted in snow like that. Thanks Budd for digging up that video