Signs of DOG JOCKEY'S , DOG TRADER'S

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Signs of DOG JOCKEY'S , DOG TRADER'S

Post by CASKEY'S KENNEL »

Add to the list if can help the young beagler''s out ....On what to watch out for when buying a hound .

1. Dogs will come up for sale during turkey season , Deer season and will tell you they can't run it during that time .
2. People have a litter and but there only one dog he didn't start and it's 8 months old . "CULL"
3. Getting out of beagles do to bad health . SOME NOT ALL
4.Working to much don't have time to run them .
5 . People talk up the dog on the forum on how good he is . The BUDDY Sale.
6. Some will go as low as telling you they have cancer to sell a dog .
7. Will keep the papers to the dog in the Bible and make sure you see them pull them out of it.
8. Use reglion as a "tool" to sell you a dog . SOME WILL NOT ALL!
9. Buying a dog that a dog hauler will have to pick up for you . They will give you a trial on dog but they know you will not spend the $300 to send it back ....

10. Watch the Dogs run places in a field trial don't mean anything!

Most of the time you can buy what you looking for close to where you live . Just because the the dog is 20 hours away does not make it any better than what's in your area . Do your home work before you spend your hard earned money ! :idea:
Last edited by CASKEY'S KENNEL on Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"WHERE THE DOGS DO THE TALKING"
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900
BEAVERCREEK Karma KIckaz sister
HUNT-EM-UP BLAZER'S MARGRET. 5 AKC FC
IFC BANGOR'S BARKIN BLUE ELVIS 4 AKC FC

PAB

Re: Signs of DOG JOCKEY'S , DOG TRADER'S

Post by PAB »

Dog jockey will ask you what your looking for in a dog, and always has just what your looking for. You probly should ask the seller to tell you about the dog first, then decide, and watch the dog run.

Welshman

Post by Welshman »

Another easy way is if the guy is selling a dog every month. And boy is it a good one.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Glad no one ever posts anything like any of those statements on this board!

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Hare Chaser wrote:Glad no one ever posts anything like any of those statements on this board!
They would never post it. They will tell you them things on the phone ! Sure they have some out of 5,200 beaglers . But they do have a lot of good honest people on this board more good than bad .
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900

Newt

Post by Newt »

CASKEY'S KENNEL wrote:
Hare Chaser wrote:Glad no one ever posts anything like any of those statements on this board!
They would never post it. They will tell you them things on the phone ! Sure they have some out of 5,200 beaglers . But they do have a lot of good honest people on this board more good than bad .
Some are just ignorant and impossible to teach. After lucking up and getting a good dog they think they know it all.

Norshore

Post by Norshore »

If you don't go watch a dog run in the wild and It's a turd when you have it at home it is your fault.

If you can't go because it's to far, wrong season, cost to much to travel there or what ever, it is your fault. If you want that particular dog that bad...make the trip or if you just can't manage to do that, buy a different dog closer to home that you can watch. You will be a lot happier.

Now have I bought dogs of the word of a seller without seeing a dog in the field? Yup but they were guys I had talked to in depth on that dog, and checked references on the dog and seller, and was given a trial period. I've only ever taken back one dog back and the deal was made right. I actually got a better dog than I was expecting and had 10 great seasons out of her.

As always the above is JMHO.

teddy

Post by teddy »

It hits a sore spot with me when one takes advantage of someone on a dog or anything else. I think the term "you cheated yourself by not trying it"was invented by a dog jockey.

The truth is you can spend all that hard earned money on those "extra special" hounds from up north while a better hound can be bought right at home. I learned this lesson the hard way.. and for only a fraction of the price might I add.

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

many moons ago, when i was a much much younger man , and very much naive ,i used to buy dogs from dog jockeys and the excuse to not buy the dog in the woods that day was always the same,"I'm too busy to go to the woods, or i have to take the wife some place or some other lame excuse, and the killer...once you leave here with with the dog its yours.I was 18 to 21 and wanted to hunt real bad so i took my chances and always lost, the closest i ever got to a rabbit dog in those days was when, this particular dog trader said to me I'm gonna sell you a real good dog and he said i know for a fact that he is good, take this one, this dog would leave a red hot rabbit track and tree squirrels'i mean like a coon dog, sit at the tree and bark 100 times a minute ,i would be so mad i wouldn't even shoot the squirrels,loli have had my share and spent a fortune with dog traders.

Newt

Post by Newt »

teddy wrote:It hits a sore spot with me when one takes advantage of someone on a dog or anything else. I think the term "you cheated yourself by not trying it"was invented by a dog jockey. .
You better toughen up. There are folks that cannot be helped.
I met a friend through beagling, about ten years ago. He will tell you the best dogs that he has owned came from me. Yet each time I see him and talk about breeding dogs, he will ask question like, "Do you know anyone that has a good male dog that I could breed to"? Do you know anyone with real good dogs that I could run mine with, to judge them. This is a guy who spent about $3,000 on pups, about five years ago, from well known stock from internet beaglers who advertise regularly.
I guess he would rather believe the word merchants who own those perfect internet beagles rather than his lying eyes.

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Norshore wrote:If you don't go watch a dog run in the wild and It's a turd when you have it at home it is your fault.

If you can't go because it's to far, wrong season, cost to much to travel there or what ever, it is your fault. If you want that particular dog that bad...make the trip or if you just can't manage to do that, buy a different dog closer to home that you can watch. You will be a lot happier.

Now have I bought dogs of the word of a seller without seeing a dog in the field? Yup but they were guys I had talked to in depth on that dog, and checked references on the dog and seller, and was given a trial period. I've only ever taken back one dog back and the deal was made right. I actually got a better dog than I was expecting and had 10 great seasons out of her.

As always the above is JMHO.
So your saying it's ok for someone to lie about a dog ?

If they don't try it it's there fault ?

That's just like hinding something in your basket at wal-mart . If they don't catch you then it's ok? No your a theif if a person does that .

That's a fact .
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900

CASKEY'S KENNEL

: :hammer:
Last edited by CASKEY'S KENNEL on Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

When and if I sell a dog, it is always shown in the field, 4 hr minimum. I will shoot a gun to prove not gun shy, will try to setup on a hot deer track to prove not run deer.
Only time I sold was if too big, I like smaller 13 in and under.
If it didn't meet my standards as a top notch gun dog, I wouldn't push it off to someone else, it's culled. Plain and simple, I wouldn't want my name ruin, or pass along a lemon to breed more lemons!!!

CASKEY'S KENNEL

gfedor wrote:When and if I sell a dog, it is always shown in the field, 4 hr minimum. I will shoot a gun to prove not gun shy, will try to setup on a hot deer track to prove not run deer.
Only time I sold was if too big, I like smaller 13 in and under.
If it didn't meet my standards as a top notch gun dog, I wouldn't push it off to someone else, it's culled. Plain and simple, I wouldn't want my name ruin, or pass along a lemon to breed more lemons!!!
Hope people read and learn from this post .
Thanks
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900

Indianabeagler

Post by Indianabeagler »

I have a dog jockey real real close to where I live. And wouldnt you know it he always has a dog that is exactly what you are looking for. But after someone wants to watch the dogs run before buying then suddenly those dogs are gone. :lol: