Signs of DOG JOCKEY'S , DOG TRADER'S

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mybeagles

Re: Signs of DOG JOCKEY'S , DOG TRADER'S

Post by mybeagles »

Dog jockeys believe they are doing the dog community a favor filling the market For buyers that want a $2,000 dog for $200. Buyers remain willfully ignorant through the buying process so if things don't turn out the way they hoped they can blame the seller. After reading 100's of similar threads I'm convinced the buyers are dishonest with themselves believing someone is going to raise and train a dog for 2 years that's any good and then sell it for $400. TOP QUALITY young dogs start at $800 and go up fast from there. If someone is selling finished gun dogs for less they will sell faster than they can replace them or they are just average run of the mill dogs that will need lots of work. If anyone thinks I'm way off the mark here call one of the prominent beaglers and try to buy his best derby prospect. Then try to buy his best 3 year old dog.

As stated above, I hope potential buyers read this.

Disclaimer: Paying big money for a dog doesn't guarantee it's a good one.... the buyer must know what he's buying or solicit the help of a trustworthy friend that does.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Indianabeagler

Post by Indianabeagler »

I guess I am the exception then, I have sold grown young dogs for 250 to 350 dollars that made champions . I knew when I sold the dogs they were good dogs. But to each his own.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Indianabeagler wrote:I guess I am the exception then, I have sold grown young dogs for 250 to 350 dollars that made champions . I knew when I sold the dogs they were good dogs. But to each his own.
NO, you are the type of person hunters look for when buying dogs. The value of something is in the eye of the beholder and most hunters do NOT eat, live and breath beagles. YES, many of them have good ones and A LOT of them never trial nor run much after the hunting season closes. My uncle once bought a GREAT beagle that COULD circle a rabbit consistently out of a junk yard! Yep, he saw it running loose in the junk yard and bought her off the guy for $50.00. She was the best he had for quite some time. I've also seen a lot of grade ones over my years that were as good as most and better than a lot! I think I've seen folks asking where are all the $150.00 pups several times. Getting up above $500.00 kind of eliminates many hunters from the market when they use them for a couple months out of the year, then feed and care for them the rest of the time. Ones man's trash is another man's treasure just as what one will pay for something is no bearing on it's worth. many would NOT even consider $20,000 to $30,000+ for a Harley but yet the roads are full of them!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Good posts mybeagles and warddog.

Indianabeagler,you must know your own market. If that's what a good running dog sells for in your area than "it is what it is". None the less,there are breeders who regularly sell their 8 week old pups for those prices and some of them go on to make champions also.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

bigdogpace

Post by bigdogpace »

DONT SELL MANY VERY FEW BUT I ALWAYS GIVE A TRIAL PERIOD YOU DONT KNOW HOW DOG IS GONNA WORK FOR SOMEONE NOW SMALL PUPS IS DIFFERENT . THEY R WHAT THEY R. I SAW AND HEARD IT ALL SOME OF IT IS FUNNY .
BIGDOGPACE

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

The old expression "A fool and his money will soon part" often holds true. Any of the good dogs I have ever purchased never came from so called "dog jockeys" or people in the "business" of turning over dogs for a profit.

There is a lot of baggage that can come with grown dogs you no nothing about until you own them. Most dog traders don't have the dogs in their possession or put enough time in the woods with them to truly "know" the dog. Many buyers really don't know what they want and therefore don't ask the right questions and or ever see the dog run. Pedigree, heresay and titles often carry far more weight than deserved.

A well known houndsman in the Northeast who has owned top coonhounds and beagles as competition dogs and has top, plain old every day, gun dogs once told me this, "People often think that in order for a dog to be any good it has to have come from a long ways away. The best dogs I've ever bought came from people in the local region where I live." His very successful career in the AKC LPOH circuit was achieved with dogs that primarily came from folks in an area of less than a 50 mile radius from where he lives. He succesfully placed and won with his dogs in national events as well as local.

The seller carries a share of the burden in the transaction but the buyer in the end bears the brunt of the responsibility for what he or she lays down their hard earned money for.

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Post by CASKEY'S KENNEL »

:check: Watch the Dogs run words are cheap !
"WHERE THE DOGS DO THE TALKING"
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900
BEAVERCREEK Karma KIckaz sister
HUNT-EM-UP BLAZER'S MARGRET. 5 AKC FC
IFC BANGOR'S BARKIN BLUE ELVIS 4 AKC FC

JacksonBoys

Post by JacksonBoys »

mybeagles wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:06 am
Dog jockeys believe they are doing the dog community a favor filling the market For buyers that want a $2,000 dog for $200. Buyers remain willfully ignorant through the buying process so if things don't turn out the way they hoped they can blame the seller. After reading 100's of similar threads I'm convinced the buyers are dishonest with themselves believing someone is going to raise and train a dog for 2 years that's any good and then sell it for $400. TOP QUALITY young dogs start at $800 and go up fast from there. If someone is selling finished gun dogs for less they will sell faster than they can replace them or they are just average run of the mill dogs that will need lots of work. If anyone thinks I'm way off the mark here call one of the prominent beaglers and try to buy his best derby prospect. Then try to buy his best 3 year old dog.

As stated above, I hope potential buyers read this.

Disclaimer: Paying big money for a dog doesn't guarantee it's a good one.... the buyer must know what he's buying or solicit the help of a trustworthy friend that does.
:check:
Jackson Boys Kennel and Starting Pen

PCH HBCH GRCH LPRCH and PKC $ winner Matt Dillon
HBCH GRCH Jacksons Jack on the Bone
FCGD PCH HBCH Jackson Boys Slick Willie (RIP Champ)
Bill's (614)965-2219

warddog

Post by warddog »

If one is seeing the same ole guy buying dogs that have been listed for awhile and or asking if they are still for sale after the ad gets stale, then listing them for sale a week or so later, time after time HE PROBABLY IS A DOG JOCKEY! No way they could be buying them for their personal use or even knowing what the dog(s) are about in that short a time! They then use every excuse in the book for selling them, kids, church, work, no place to hunt, too many. WELl why in the heck did you just purchase them then? TO RESELL!

CASKEY'S KENNEL

:check:
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900

RollingTrack

Post by RollingTrack »

how about when you see the fault! hum,never seen him do that before! lmao :lol:
ROLLING KENNELLS
-------HOME of-------
RILEYS ROLLING DIRTY GIRL
RILEYS ROLLING JAZZY J
RILEYS ROLLING MISS DIXIE

CASKEY'S KENNEL

RollingTrack wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:31 pm
how about when you see the fault! hum,never seen him do that before! lmao :lol:
I was showing a female one time . She jumped a rabbit she ran it in 100 yard circle back to where she jumped it . And then she took the same track she left with it on the 1st time for about 10 foot and stopped . The man said well she didn't back track . I said oh I know she was just showing you how good of nose she has . We both laughed. Brag on a dog and they will make you put your foot in your mouth sometimes , Lol because I really never saw her do it before . Lol
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900

warddog

Post by warddog »

Dogs are dogs and when you least expect it, EXPECT IT!

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Get a video of the dogs running or go watch them run . If they not willing to do that don't waste your time . Don't let cheap fool you .
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900