Keep Hawks and owls from getting your rabbit in Pen /wild

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Keep Hawks and owls from getting your rabbit in Pen /wild

Post by CASKEY'S KENNEL »

If you want to keep the owls and hawks from getting your rabbits in your pen or in the wild . Hang CD's with fishing string from some of your trees branches . The shine from the sun light and moon light will help keep them away .
Last edited by CASKEY'S KENNEL on Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"WHERE THE DOGS DO THE TALKING"
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900
BEAVERCREEK Karma KIckaz sister
HUNT-EM-UP BLAZER'S MARGRET. 5 AKC FC
IFC BANGOR'S BARKIN BLUE ELVIS 4 AKC FC

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Re: Keep Hawks and owls from getting your rabbit in Pen /wil

This is the legal way . :D
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Hanging cd's on a string works well if the cd's are hung high or if the hawks are low, but where I live the trees are tall with no way to hang the cd's up there. You need to figure out a way to reflect the sun back up to the tree tops where they perch. This year I tried using a 2x2 piece of tin with a hole in the middle, took some fence wire and bent a loop in the end and bent it on a 90 degree angle, put the wire thru the hole in the tin and bent the wire on over flat. Next I bent the wire around the top of the tin piece, then up at a 90 degree angle, which I slid a cd over the wire. The cd now is perpendicular to the ground and will reflect the sun up. You can bend the wire in a goose neck and twist around fence posts or staple to wood posts and the wind will wobble the cd in different directions, reflecting sun up all over the place. I am in the process of putting these all over my 8 acre pen.

God Bless,
Bob
:loser: Coffmans Dougie Macrae at Stud (HOF Happyrun Calico Clem)
Coffmans Rabbit Ridge Hit Man (IFC Kickaz X South Woods Marley)

mjd

Post by mjd »

Put 3 or 4 foot stakes in ground and nail cd to top with cap nails for roofing

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Tried that too, but they are fixed and hawks will find a place where the sun is not reflected back up at them and perch. With cd's on a wire, they move in the wind and cover more area. I made some today, but doubled the wire for strength; I think they will work better.
God Bless,
Bob

allniter

Post by allniter »

4x4 --- 12ft. long with a trap on top with long chain helps
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

CASKEY'S KENNEL

allniter wrote:4x4 --- 12ft. long with a trap on top with long chain helps
You breaking a rule and you could have a problem .
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

I remember years ago reading where Berton Oney shot a Red Tail Hawk that had scooped up a 6 week old Redtick coon hound pup out of his yard. He saw it happen, grabbed a shotgun and shot the hawk. Thinking no one knew about it he threw the thing over the fence into some brush. Unbeknownst to him, a neighbor found out about it and turned him in. He was charged with a federal offense for killing a migratory raptor, fined $1000 and I believe lost his hunting license for more than a year. This was published in Full Cry magazine if I remember correctly.

Anyone who does stuff like that is best off not even telling themselves they did it!

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

I was starting pups for a guy, saw my post in my pen, had night eyes on it, said that he ran dogs with a game warden; he hates hawks himself and wouldn't turn anyone in himself, but his game warden friend told him of a beagle club that was caught with a post and a trap, fined $25,000. That was to a club, he said he didn't know if the fine would be the same to an individual or not. Wouldn't be worth the risk to me, anyways with as many people as I have coming around with pups.

God Bless,
Bob

Markday

Post by Markday »

I've tried cd's, predator lights, predator tape. Nothing really works once owls and Hawks cats etc finds out there is rabbits in your pen it's a constant battle keeping rabbits in it. Has been for me anyway mine is 2 acre's with lots of cover. It's just something you have to deal with I guess

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Markday, You are right to an extent; my experience has been that if there is no other game/food available except what's in your pen, they will come in after your rabbits no matter what you do. But if there is plentiful other game close by it is easier to go and get it rather than put up with all of the preditor control devices we put in our pens. Bottom line is if the preditors are hungry enough nothing will stop them from eating from your buffet table. I prefer to delay that from happening as long as possible. Right now I have a coon stealing rabbits out of my puppy pen. It's that time of year in Ohio

fastone

Post by fastone »

True story on Bert Owney ,we knew him well .Was at his home quite a few times I ran coon with a dog from there GRNTCH RICES BUCK a top English hound many moons ago
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

Rcoff

Post by Rcoff »

Try hanging pie tins, seem to work better than cd's. I use 1/2 inch white tape that they use for electric wire for horse pastures, seems to hold them up better than anything else that I found; On a dead still day, they still will not help, but in a breeze they not only reflect sun but make noise as well.
Thanks, and God bless,
Bob