Rose City Joey running Solo

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

mybeagles

Rose City Joey running Solo

Post by mybeagles »

My 6 month French Brittany trying to disrupt Joey while running but he was pretty focused today.

https://youtu.be/domcOVer7ZM

https://youtu.be/nto5SEBofFY
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

BCBeagles

Re: Rose City Joey running Solo

Post by BCBeagles »

Awesome stuff Dave...it is amazing what focus and control can do for a rabbit race.

How is he bred? Nice dog!

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Jim,

I got him as pup from Terry Maniez in Michigan. They were both his dogs. The sire has impressive nose. He has couple crosses of Buckshot Jones in pedigree.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

He does a nice job...I would own him. Thanks for the videos!

HAREHOUND

Post by HAREHOUND »

nice clips Dave. i haven't run with joey much, but enough to know he is a very nice dog. and that was a couple years ago so i am sure the experience factor is showing up since then.

deerhost

Post by deerhost »

thats the male we braced with Marky is it Dave. I liked him then and I still like him. Enough foot, good control never to far off the check. How does he mind in the kennel?

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Yes it is. He has great kennel manners. Doesn't bark, chew, or any foolishness. Im surrounded by houses here so no way to keep a barking dog....thats why Choppy had to go....lol
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

mybeagles
I've seen where your location says Germany. Is that where your beagle was running? If so what type of rabbit or hare do they have there? What kind of rules or regulations are there in Germany for running/training a beagle? Have heard that it is very difficult to be a gun hunter in many of the European countries.
Looked like your hound was doing a good job on his rabbit---close on the line but showing decent foot too.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Hunting regulations are ridiculous here. The hunters safety program is 1 year long here, mandatory for every hunter. They have a condensed course for US service members but its all day Sat/Sun then Mon and Tue evening for 4 months. In the US the DNR officers don't go that long.....lol

To run dogs your required to have 500 acres minimum. Expected to have total recall on your dog if it crosses property line and shock collars are illegal. Having hunted with several of the hog hunters that use dogs they don't follow this very closely. Many of the various hunting dogs here will chase deer, some worse than others due to inability to break them. Sometimes these dogs leave the section as you can imagine. Many of the laws are based on feel good liberal gibberish. They do use Garmin here but the Alphas are illegal and the frequency won't work.

On the plus side the hunters here are very safe and responsible stewards of the resources. I have actually learned some things I have adopted that I never thought of but now seem like common sense.

They have two types of rabbits here. The Kinechens are similar to our cottontail. They live in burrowing colonies and go to ground much quicker than cottontail. Not much use for running. Don't have any of those in my region as they prefer sandy soil. The military base I work at is known as "The Rock" for good reason. The second type is the Hasse. We know it as European Hare. It is not a Jack rabbit but hare. Bigger than our hare, does not turn white in winter. When you jump them they frequently run open field for longer distance than Im accustomed to. I don't know if this is due to the area I run with open fields/thickets and nearby golf course. I don't have any other places to run so I don't get to see how they may run in different terrain. They are quite scarce due to the extremely high population of Red fox. I see more fox in 1 week than you will see in a lifetime in the midwest. Trapping is illegal as you can imagine. Europe treated all the wild fox for rabies by putting medicated food sources in the woods at an extremely high expense to create a rabies free country. There are no predators and they don't get rabies so they populate like cats. Considered a nuisance most hunters will shoot them when they can. There is not much of a fur market here. If I was going to live here longer I would get into calling fox, perhaps get some fox hounds. I tried to get my beagle to run them but I broke him on one when he was a pup so couldn't get him to switch back. He ran a couple for me but eventually quit them completely.

Most of the hunting in my area is focussed on wild boar because they do a terrible amount of crop damage. The owners of the hunting leases are held liable for crop damage.....long story, but that can get extremely expensive if they don't keep the boar in check.

Lastly I would add that hunting here is expensive. Hunting course with my 6 million dollar required insurance policy, gun registration fees, license, etc was about $1500. That doesn't include a place to hunt which will cost from $1000-$5000 a year depending on the size of property and how much work you want to invest into the property. You also have to pay a trophy fee for every animal you shoot, plus pay for the meat. Needless to say you could buy premium beef cuts far cheaper than it cost for wild game.

All that said it was a unique experience but I am thrilled to be coming home for good in July.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Thanks for sharing that Dave. Many of us here in the USA like to think that our ability to hunt is an inalienable right. It's not and that's why to some degree everyone who hunts or traps wild game or is a fisherman has a responsibility to be an embassador for the outdoor sports we enjoy. Some of the crap that gets videoed and posted up on web sights just provides fuel for the antis who want to establish legislation similar to what you have listed and worse. We live in a day our fathers and forefathers never thought they would see. Good stewardship of what we have, respect for public and private property and becoming good at relating to the non-hunting/trapping/fishing population here at home will go a long way in extending our privileges to continue these activities.

SMITTY1233

Post by SMITTY1233 »

If this doesn't give you some perspective on the importance of protecting our hunting rights nothing will. Thanks for serving cousin and for protecting my freedom to live in the greatest country in the world where I can participate in one of my biggest passions in life Hounding.

Terry Maniez is a name I haven't heard in a while. I've ran with Terry a time or two. Great guy!

mybeagles wrote:Hunting regulations are ridiculous here. The hunters safety program is 1 year long here, mandatory for every hunter. They have a condensed course for US service members but its all day Sat/Sun then Mon and Tue evening for 4 months. In the US the DNR officers don't go that long.....lol

To run dogs your required to have 500 acres minimum. Expected to have total recall on your dog if it crosses property line and shock collars are illegal. Having hunted with several of the hog hunters that use dogs they don't follow this very closely. Many of the various hunting dogs here will chase deer, some worse than others due to inability to break them. Sometimes these dogs leave the section as you can imagine. Many of the laws are based on feel good liberal gibberish. They do use Garmin here but the Alphas are illegal and the frequency won't work.

On the plus side the hunters here are very safe and responsible stewards of the resources. I have actually learned some things I have adopted that I never thought of but now seem like common sense.

They have two types of rabbits here. The Kinechens are similar to our cottontail. They live in burrowing colonies and go to ground much quicker than cottontail. Not much use for running. Don't have any of those in my region as they prefer sandy soil. The military base I work at is known as "The Rock" for good reason. The second type is the Hasse. We know it as European Hare. It is not a Jack rabbit but hare. Bigger than our hare, does not turn white in winter. When you jump them they frequently run open field for longer distance than Im accustomed to. I don't know if this is due to the area I run with open fields/thickets and nearby golf course. I don't have any other places to run so I don't get to see how they may run in different terrain. They are quite scarce due to the extremely high population of Red fox. I see more fox in 1 week than you will see in a lifetime in the midwest. Trapping is illegal as you can imagine. Europe treated all the wild fox for rabies by putting medicated food sources in the woods at an extremely high expense to create a rabies free country. There are no predators and they don't get rabies so they populate like cats. Considered a nuisance most hunters will shoot them when they can. There is not much of a fur market here. If I was going to live here longer I would get into calling fox, perhaps get some fox hounds. I tried to get my beagle to run them but I broke him on one when he was a pup so couldn't get him to switch back. He ran a couple for me but eventually quit them completely.

Most of the hunting in my area is focussed on wild boar because they do a terrible amount of crop damage. The owners of the hunting leases are held liable for crop damage.....long story, but that can get extremely expensive if they don't keep the boar in check.

Lastly I would add that hunting here is expensive. Hunting course with my 6 million dollar required insurance policy, gun registration fees, license, etc was about $1500. That doesn't include a place to hunt which will cost from $1000-$5000 a year depending on the size of property and how much work you want to invest into the property. You also have to pay a trophy fee for every animal you shoot, plus pay for the meat. Needless to say you could buy premium beef cuts far cheaper than it cost for wild game.

All that said it was a unique experience but I am thrilled to be coming home for good in July.
hounds... hare.... hunter.... bang... what gets better than that.
SMITH BROS. BEAGLES
KRIS SMITH
517-881-0353

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Dave, sound like you need to get you a cob and a red coat, then you'll be hunting in style...lol

Have you found any of the beagle packs in Germany?

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Patch,

German hunters have select colors they wear.....green, brown, and black. When I busted out my red/black Woolrich Elmer Fudd top coat, Orange Stormy Cromer hat and pair of Muck boots they looked at me like a redheaded step child.

I did run into one old German hunter (87) who sported red Stormy Cromer that he bought 35 years ago when he visited Minnesota for a hunt. Took a picture with him but can't find the photo
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Yes, green is the traditional beagler coat colour in the English kit also. The colour of the collar on the coat may differ by the Master and Committee's choice. The hunt staff wore a good pair of tennis shoe for running and knee high socks. I was given a good waxed jacket and a pair of green wellies for which to follow the hunt.
Your expense borne is why many join a County hunt(pack) and just pay a subscription to enjoy a day hunting. The cost and requirements are to brutal for most individuals, so a subscription gets you land cleared and a meeting with good friends hunting hounds, a kennelman cares for all the hounds and the Master has the connections to get the "ok" to hunt over the farmers lands. With land so limited, it is understood by all, the land owner, the farmer and the sport enthusiast, that cooperation and respect benefits all. Gives understanding to the old phrase, "The sport of Kings", when thinking about fox hunting.