DOG LACKS ENERGY

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TVE1998

DOG LACKS ENERGY

Post by TVE1998 »

MY FEMALE SEEMS TO REALLY LACK ENERGY WHEN SHE IS IN HEAT. TOOK HER OUT LAST NIGHT AND SHE HARDLY LEFT THE TRAIL, WHEN SHE DID FINALLY GET ONE UP IT JUST WASN'T HER. I HAVE NOTICED THIS IN PROIR HEAT CYCLES AS WELL. SHE ALSO HAS BEEN IN HEAT NEARLY 35 DAYS, IT SEEMS TO BE OVER NOW MY MALE QUITE PAYING ATTENTION TO HER, BUT THERE IS STILL A LITTLE SWELLING. SHE ALSO CONSTANTLY EATS HER STOOL, SHE'S NOT HUNGRY, A LITTLE HEAVY IF ANYTHING. SHE IS ONLY 3 YEARS OLD AND WHEN NOT IN HEAT SHE TEARS A BRIAR PATCH APART. HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM, IF SO WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST??

Hare Chaser

Re: DOG LACKS ENERGY

Post by Hare Chaser »

Get her to a Vet!

It could be a closed Pyometra. Pyometra's don't normally occur in younger females that have never raised a litter but it can happen.
A pyometra is an infection inside the uterus. They are either open or closed. An open pyometra can be recognized sooner as their is a thick pink discharge that will come away from the females you know what. The closed version there is no discharge so the infection is not seen. You see the results in the dog being sick. Pyometras will usually form (if they're going to) within a short period after the female has gone out of heat.

Again,get her to a vet if she's a dog you care for and value. Left unattended a pyometra can make her unable to reproduce or will kill her in the end.

TVE1998

Post by TVE1998 »

Thanks for the info. I will give my vet a call. She is 3 years old now and has done this every time she has gone into heat. Once she is totally out she has returned to form in the past. I will get it checked out regardless.
Thanks again

beagler282

Post by beagler282 »

Quite a few females do this when in heat. Nothing to worry about. She will be back to normal once she is out of heat.
Ray Lucas
Cedar Trail Kennels