Field Trial Ponderings

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Wicker's Beagles

Re: Field Trial Ponderings

Post by Wicker's Beagles »

From what I've witnessed at Field Trials with my own two eyes is that Field Trials are not promoting or rewarding what I would consider desirable traits for a true hunting rabbit dog. Instead I see them ruining dogs natural ability more than harnessing or enhancing it.

Examples would be where I've attended trials and the handlers carry these swarping thrashing sticks and go along beating the weeds & brush to flush rabbits out for their no hunting walk behind standing around on a path dogs to chase. If I had to do that for my dog I'd not own that dog.

Another would be the goof ball handlers that hang sleigh bells around their dogs neck and it rattles continuously as the dog moves, If I have to hang a sleigh bell on my dog for it to perform I'd not own that dog.

Another would be where the handlers never shut up and are continuously chatting up there dog, "hunt em up" "look for em" "look in here" If I had to constantly be a cheerleader for my dog to search for a rabbit I'd not own that one either.

Another would be where the judges are on horseback and charge in on a pack of dogs disrupting their search or running, I have never ever in my lifetime ever witnessed anyone actually hunting rabbits with beagles off from horseback. Have You? It's pure nonsense....

Guys if these things or conditions are what you consider it takes to determine a top rabbit dog and that's what you desire and promote that's great, I wish you all the luck in the world at your field trials, but Please, don't ever ask to go running dogs or hunting with me because I'll not tolerate this foolishness, These things absolutely add no value in the determination of any hounds abilities.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Well stated Wickert!

Truth be told some of the dogs would perform far better if these behaviors were eliminated or modified to make it more realistic.

I think what most field trial committees would tell you and I understand the concern having been in that situation is: if we take to long jumping rabbits guys won't come back and if we run dogs till dark by the 3rd or 4th day of the trial we will not be able to find game or may have trials leaking over into the next day.

Clubs may need to host fewer trials per year or come up with alternative running grounds if this becomes a problem. I personally find it unrealistic to be finished with a class of 25+ hounds by noon and running the winners pack after lunch and people loaded up with trophies in hand by 2:00 pm. I would love to see trials run all day and let the hounds determine the placing order not the judges. That is possible.

If there are any field trial committees that feel the same way and willing to partner me with a judge of like mind feel free to send me a PM with judging request. If you hope is to be done by 1:00 each day and you will be pressuring the judges to finish up please scratch me off your list. Doubt I'm on very many lists anyway...lol
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

fastone

Post by fastone »

Hey Shady Grove questions on studs and what to breed to and what for started this thread ! Good point Wickers
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Fastone,

I actually started this thread about field trials but welcome any and all comments. Breeding to FC's and being able to watch them run is certainly a relevant topic.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

ray s

Post by ray s »

Wicker's Beagles wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 am

"Examples would be where I've attended trials and the handlers carry these swarping thrashing sticks and go along beating the weeds & brush to flush rabbits out for their no hunting walk behind standing around on a path dogs to chase. If I had to do that for my dog I'd not own that dog."

(Ray) Most of trials I've been to, when this is prevalent, are when they run on grounds that has little to no game.

"Another would be where the handlers never shut up and are continuously chatting up there dog, "hunt em up" "look for em" "look in here" If I had to constantly be a cheerleader for my dog to search for a rabbit I'd not own that one either."

(Ray) I totally agree and absolutely hate that. I have never seen it help any hound hunt. And once again if there aren't any rabbits and there hasn't been any rabbits in that area for days, our hounds are not going to " grub out" that area. They know when game is in the area.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey wicker
Don't know if I qualify as a "goof ball" or not.I have used bells on beagles many times over the years and it has absolutely nothing to do with making it perform.
I don't use expensive tracking equipment to keep track of my beagles so bells can help. I've run beagles at night for years and a bell is pretty helpful.
A bell has allowed me on three different occasions to find dogs hanging upside down in a fence that never barked or whined.
Some say a bell will discourage coyotes to a degree.
What ever works.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Wicker's Beagles

Post by Wicker's Beagles »

During a Field Trial everybody should leave their sleigh bells in their vehicle because nobody wants to hear them and it's a major nuisance to other dogs and people.

Please, Just bring your dog, pay your entry fee, and everything will be fine.
Last edited by Wicker's Beagles on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fastone

Post by fastone »

:shock:
Rabbit Ridge Kennels,home of
RABBIT RIDGE Penny
RABBIT RIDGE Zoey
King Ralph's Dolly

We feed and recommend VICTOR feed.
http://rabbitridgekennels.webs.com/

BMBeagles

Post by BMBeagles »

fastone wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:20 pm
:shock:
What does this mean ??? Just asking !

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Post by CASKEY'S KENNEL »

Had a older feller close to 70 years old tell me a while back . That's used to "JUDGE AKC trials..."That his dogs don't need to Solo a rabbit . When he trials they run in a pack . So they have FC's that cannot Solo a rabbit ? If a dog cannot Solo a rabbit at 7 months to a 1 year old. And pups that run other pups barking at 1 year ole looking for them that's a brain issue to me and most likely a cull in my book .Move on to other breeding . I have pups that will trail other pups looking for them but will never open there mouth . It seems it does not matter the age of a beagler are how long they been beaglers . I guess some are just Kennel blind . But they have the rite to feed what they want .

Has anybody ever seen FC Larson's Sport run a rabbit?
"WHERE THE DOGS DO THE TALKING"
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900
BEAVERCREEK Karma KIckaz sister
HUNT-EM-UP BLAZER'S MARGRET. 5 AKC FC
IFC BANGOR'S BARKIN BLUE ELVIS 4 AKC FC

hard on a check

Post by hard on a check »

CASKEY'S KENNEL wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:28 am
Yes..I seen Sport run in Dale's running pen,he was only around 18 months old at the time,he did a nice job that day.

CASKEY'S KENNEL

Post by CASKEY'S KENNEL »

hard on a check wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:43 am
CASKEY'S KENNEL wrote:
Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:28 am
Yes..I seen Sport run in Dale's running pen,he was only around 18 months old at the time,he did a nice job that day.
Good deal I figured he was a pretty nice male . I had Larson Riley which is the same cross for a while and breed him once . Breed him to a clean running female Brankos Ali-baba blood . Kept one female that can run a nice rabbit. But has a loose mouth at times she got that from Riley boy did he have a loose mouth. But his pups hunt hard and are tough . Riley in OHIO now he had to go .
"WHERE THE DOGS DO THE TALKING"
Living with TINNITUS .
225-910-2900
BEAVERCREEK Karma KIckaz sister
HUNT-EM-UP BLAZER'S MARGRET. 5 AKC FC
IFC BANGOR'S BARKIN BLUE ELVIS 4 AKC FC

southbarr

Post by southbarr »

A few people wonder why I don't put my FC males in General services, read most of the post and you will have your answer.
Davie Crockett

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

If you don't want to show them in the field and deal with all the aggravation then not offering them for public stud is your best bet. Your choice for sure.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

southbarr wrote:
Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:20 pm
A few people wonder why I don't put my FC males in General services, read most of the post and you will have your answer.
Also the fact that if the pups don't turn out to make good dogs it's always the stud dog that's not the reproducer, right???

Far to many people don't realize just how valuable a proven reproducing female is. Granted a good reproducing female can't possibly produce as many pups as the male that is a prepotent stud. Yet for the guy who wants to raise a few dogs for himself, having a prepotent female puts him in a pretty good position. He can pick the stud he wants to breed her to any where he wants to take her to a reputable stud.