Round and round she goes...

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

S.R.Patch

Round and round she goes...

Post by S.R.Patch »

Beautiful weather for working, Timed out just right for getting all the hay in, a good crop of rabbits seen, garden is jumping and producing. Father and mother were strong enough they did their fist camping trip and got to visit with all their old friends. We got them all set up and their friends took care of them while we got back to work, they really had a good time and want to go again.
I've seen 5 rabbit in the back yard and they using the hay bales for cover. They've stayed away from the garden but start the hound to raising cane as they eat the white clover out by the kennel. They may become stocking rabbits if this doesn't end soon, for there's nothing worst than being woken to "quiet those hounds!" as my wife puts it.
I've gone back to feeding Diamond food. It seems after some time the recipe on these foods changes with the design of the bags. I tried it again by accident after all these many yrs. when I found some damaged bags on sale at the farm store. A noticeable difference from what I had with less feed, you can tell by the smell and feel of the food, the hounds sure like the change up also.
This rain sure has the flies working on the hounds ears, so a paintbrush full of motor oil and put on fresh grass heals them up good in a week, got to get some "Fly-away" for horses next time at the farm store. It's only the hounds on the ground that they bother but I'd rather they be on the ground than tighter quarters. Sometimes it looks more like a prairie dog lot than a hound dog lot...lol
Hope all you are having a wonderful summer with your families. Remember the Lord gives us valleys so we can appreciate being up on the ridge.
Best wishes...

warddog

Re: Round and round she goes...

Post by warddog »

Patch, so glad to hear your parents are up and about especially to the point of going camping! My best to them and the rest of your family.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Always good to hear from you and Family Mr.Patch .

Yeas sir the Good Lord sure being good to us all here in N.E.Ga. this year, getting a mighty good rain ever few days,, best year in many years, for the rain.

Thanks for the up date .

Keep Looking Up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

513Moogie

Post by 513Moogie »

My 'three pups are running with mom and the four of them really sound great and my health is good so that's reason enough to praise the Lord. Been a while since I played that song. Rain keeps the water holes full so I don't have to carry water. Will be at the farm outside Livingston Tn. for the eclipse.

Aubrey Holcombe

Think I will be in my starting pen, with some of my pups on that day, but wouldn't even know it was the Eclipse Day, unless it gets, Mighty Dark ??

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

513Moogie

Post by 513Moogie »

A lot of money being made off this event. I've never used a starting pen but sure they're are advantages for starting pups. I purposely did not hurry these pups because I wanted to incorporate obedience training before and while in the field. It has worked out well, really easy to handle them with minimal use of their collars. How do you stop the deer running if they aren't exposed to them in the training pen?

Aubrey Holcombe

On occasions, sometimes an old doe will jump inside my st.Pens, have her fawn in there, but that is not any problems, as I have found this deer running thing is IN Their Breeding I was 77 yesterday and can' say that I have been without a beagle for 70 years, except in the 50's when i was in the U.S.Army for a few years, was NO deer here in Ga. back then, back about that that time the DNR was bringing themp here to GA.

I find that some breed of beagles were not fond of running deer while some were crazy about them. I say away from those that were deer runner, from the beginning, and would just breed the Rabbit dogs, over 20 to 30 Generations you can breed that trait out just about 100% Now if you want to do some breeding that is Not your bloodline, You've got to be very careful and so I find it's best to say within your one bloodline!

There was a mighty good bloodline that was being breed in N.C. way back when i was a younger man, and it was a mighty good rabbit dog, but it was crazy about trash,, and one in Ala. that was also Trashy, I never use those bloodlines and I just don't talk about them as folks get very mad if I say they are Trash, but as many trial that i was running back in the 90's I had the opportunity to witness many differant bloodline run ever week at trials all over USA.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

513Moogie

Post by 513Moogie »

I'm 62 and back when I was a kid I started with an off the chart black beagle that just joined in with another dog I had at the time. I'd say being wild was his ticket to greatness. Not being a breeder like the members hear I've just crossed bred to good dogs and stop the trash running early.
An old Kentucky boy at a shop I worked at tried to tell me that a beagle that was aloud to run free in the country made the best hunting dogs. At the time I had an off the charts grandbaby to that black. that had run circles around most dogs and found it hard believe that so I gave a friend of mine in the country one of my pups at about 4 months old and said don't let him run during the day. Her turned out to be a rabbit slayer with off the chart speed. He would follow a deer just to see if it was wounded but never chase it far. Once the deer stopped you had to shoot the deer as he would circle and bark til the deer ran out of gas. Could catch all the rabbits he needed to eat well. When I breed witch is just for myself I look for those traits in the ones I keep. Just a crap shoot at best but It's worked for me. Getting back to the OP I can thank God for my beagles as they have given me a cup runnith over of joy and still are. That hooked tailed pup I kept and it appears to have been blessed wth skills off the chart.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Here's a vid of some pups in a pen with deer. I'm not very good with a camera but they ran the rabbits all around the deer, very proud of them.
https://youtu.be/iF-uFvOTVHA

Here's a vid of our hounds getting in with Pete Mara's hounds on a hare.
https://youtu.be/cZMS-GISSDI

Here's a favorite vid of mine thar Pete's daughter-in-law made. The shots of all the hounds coupled is Pete, my son and me. They are a great family of hunters.
https://youtu.be/gSAnuJcX6LI

513Moogie

Post by 513Moogie »

That last video was great. Those beagles have that large chest cavity for pulling in large amounts of air that makes them vary efficient runners. Someone has a little bit of disc jockey in them. I'll show that one to some of my clients, they'll enjoy it.
When there're plenty of rabbits it sure helps keep them off deer. It took about two yrs. to break mom. If she don't join in on a jump real fast I know the pups are up to no good. I'll be able to spot the deer early and from a distance as the season where's on and I'll take them right to them and get some NO DEER work in.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Nice video's an the last one was GREAT! Looks like those 7 month old pups were job all around that deer. I don't know where that was but it looked like some of the mine property we run on with that THICK Sericia grass. It makes it very difficult to see the hounds much, let alone the rabbit. I highly doubt one can run behind the hounds to see much of what they are doing.