Garmin Bundle

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hare Chaser

Re: Garmin Bundle

Post by Hare Chaser »

I had Birds Eye. In my opinion it's worthless for me. I've got the new Garmin Hunt maps for my area. They do have some value but are definitely over priced and cannot be up dated. Which means in a couple of years if Garmin updates your area and you want the latest you have to buy it again. Enjoy using the system for what I assume was your main purpose in purchasing it, accurately keeping track of your hounds. Nothing is perfect but I've had no serious issues with the Garmin system beginning with the Astro 220 and DC 30 collars. Like many "tools" if you take care of them they'll take care of you. Understand their advantages and limitations and I think you'll be pleased in the end. I know I am!

steve w

Post by steve w »

Sounds like you got more work to do, did you check out the link I provided ? http://www.dusupply.com/info/howto-inst ... astro-320/

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Steve W - I put the longer antenna on. It did give me more range, but it's still under two miles. At times less than half a mile with the big antenna, but usually about 1.5 miles. I did think I'd get more range with it, but all of the other advantages with this system make it far superior to my ole tried and true Johnson's.

beagler86

Post by beagler86 »

With the birds eye you download a map of the place you hunt and when you hunt that area you can use the birds eye, but if you pick up and go 10 miles to another area you wont have birds eye. You have to download a birds eye map for each area you hunt.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Slaux wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:01 pm
Steve W - I put the longer antenna on. It did give me more range, but it's still under two miles. At times less than half a mile with the big antenna, but usually about 1.5 miles. I did think I'd get more range with it, but all of the other advantages with this system make it far superior to my ole tried and true Johnson's.
Glad to hear overall your not experiencing buyer remorse. Like I said before it's rare I need the longer antenna and when I do I usually had to drive anyway's. I found the pro's to far outweigh the con's. As to birdseye Harechaser makes a point I have heard before, some find it useless and I can only speculate that either the map views them self or the fact that a total forest of the same trees with no distinguishing difference makes for not much value on the handheld screen. It's all I use but most of the time I'm in SW MI so there's all kinds of differences in terrain which show up well. The thing I find useless is the 100k pre-loaded topo maps, if I need a topo it has to be the 24K or I might as well not bother with the map page. If you do end up liking birdseye it is a good idea to put it all on a sd card,8gb was plenty for me. Downloading in the highest resolution to me is a must and it can eat up your memory space pretty fast.