Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Markday

Re: Run to catch

Post by Markday »

Shady you must have a pack of females that work good together and are fine tuned. I like that

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

The dog sitting beside me is the mother of the two tri-colors on each end.The sire of the dog on the right is a half brother to the bluetick.
They are line bred top and bottom and run with a very similar style and ability which makes for a pretty smooth running pack.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Nice picture Dana and I'm very happy you've got a "pack" that is making you happy. Can see the influence of Rainey in the conformation of Tess, Fly and Queenie and I would guess she gave them a good shot of endurance too!

When you put down dogs with Shady's "pack" you can bet they'll be in it from start to finish and challenge whatever you drop beside them!

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

Thats good hunting shady, amazing and no shots were fired, wow keep em running.

Newt

Post by Newt »

Last week I drove up to a beagler friends to pick up a young male that I had sold him, I was going to use him for stud. On the way back I decided to stop by the farm where I run often. I turned him and his litter mate sister and a couple other bitches loose and the immediately jumped a cottontail that I had ran often. I noticed immediately that the hounds were straddle the line and the rabbit was not getting any breaks. They ran it by me several times. It would jump a small stream, run through the briar patch, where they had jumped it, and make another circle. After about thirty minutes I noticed the circles were getting smaller and the hounds were narrowing the gap between them and game. The rabbit came toward me one more time jumped the ditch with my Homer/Kalagha bred bitch leading the pack. Then they shut up. I looked and three of them were nose to nose in the edge of the briar patch. I ran over and they had the cottontail. It wasn't stiff and seemed to be breathing normally. I got it away from them and loaded them into the dog box. I noticed that the rabbit was a doe. I regretted letting them catch it. It seemed to recover slightly so I left it in some cover. (Yesterday I found a pile of rabbit hare where something had eaten the rabbit)
Yesterday, I decided to to take the stud male home so I stopped by my favorite running spot again. When I drove up another running buddy was there. I turned out four and he turned out three running hounds and two just started pups. They jumped got it going, had a split, but soon got back packed up. Like the earlier race, the rabbit kept circling and passing by us. After about forty-five minutes I told my buddy they were going to catch it. He was sceptical. I said, watch, each time they circle they are closing the gap. Soon the rabbit came out of the thicket onto the farm road, ran towards us for about a hundred ft and darted back into the brush. The hounds came out shortly before the rabbit disappeared but they didn't see it. It made one more short circle and crossed the road. The hounds were about fifty ft behind it. Then they shut up. We walked around the edge of the woods and saw the rabbit laying in the edge of the corn field. This one was a buck.
This morning I went backup there with four dogs. They jumped a rabbit and ran it for about an hour. It made about three or four circles from woods, then throug a tall grass field, then circled into the harvested cornfield. They were getting closer and closer. When they got within a hundred yards and crossed the road near my truck, I toned them and loaded them in the truck. I didn't want to catch another.

The rabbits have been running big and easy for about three weeks. The dogs are the same but the rabbits are either smelling stronger, running different, or the weather has been ideal for good running.
I've watched as rabbits made big circles in the corn field and the hounds are running like they are running a hare or fox. Nose high and wide open.
Exciting times. :bigsmile:

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

Usually run down a handful during the summer months. My female Ada got some hair in her mouth today. After about a 40 minute run the rabbit decided to sit just a little too tight. Was nearby and was able to get it before the pack all got a hold of it. Pretty sure he will make. Seems like my steadier dogs are the ones that catch the most rabbits though. Run about 4.5 or so on the garmin and just keep steady pressure on them without long breakdowns. If a rabbit stays up and running past the 50 minute mark it seems like his odds of getting caught drastically increase. Least around here
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

We've had less than favorable conditions this year to say the least.

We've been dealing with ice nearly all winter and had good snow for 1 week about 2 weeks ago. Last Tuesday it hit 40 degrees and rained over an inch in one day. We had major flooding due to the snow and frozen ground then the temps dropped and we had solid ice.

Saturday I joined 2 friends for a day of hunting, we had my hounds, Bojo (almost 2 years old), Rhett (2 1/2 years old), BB and Storm (1 1/2 years old) and Roger's hound Nyx (1 1/2 years old). It was decent temps, but 20 mph winds.
These young hounds caught 2 rabbits, not swinging, line running catches and Storm retrieved 3 rabbits. We ended up with 5, we would have had more but my 2 compadre's can't hit the side of a barn if they were locked inside of it!
Hounds put on 15 miles according to the Garmin.

Saturday night, again with the heavy rain at 35 degrees and by morning low to mid 20's and more ice, I am so sick of ice!!
It warmed up to mid 30's in the afternoon but again with the high winds, 30 mph.
Went to load up hounds and Rhett was spotting so back in the kennel she went. Loaded up Bojo, BB and Storm and hit the timber.
I missed the first rabbit and it went another 60 yards and the run ended. I went down the ridge to see why and BB had her head in a hole digging at the frozen ground. I tried to call her away but she was intent on getting that rabbit. I worked Bojo and Storm back up the ridge figuring they'll get another one going and BB will hark in. I get to the top of the ridge and here comes BB all proud prancing up the ridge with the rabbit in her mouth. That was so cool seeing that young little hounds determination and retrieving that rabbit to me.
Hounds put on 13 miles according to the Garmin.

Bojo is a grandpup and BB, Storm and Nyx (littermates) are pups out of my FCGD Stinepatch Bonnie. I lost Bonnie last May to anaplasmosis, a new tick bourne disease and I miss her immensely, but these young pups and grandpup are doing her proud.

The three littermates sire is FCGD Pinehill Twizzler which is a very nice hound with a good snow nose. Twizzler is owned by Mitch Anderson from central WI.

Dana, I hope one day we can get together with Dan and run some Hare up here in the north country.
Last edited by Swampman on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

Good hunting Swampman,nice clear picture too.

Shady Grove Beagles

Newt,ericwadel3 and Swampman.Enjoyed your posts. I enjoy hearing about other's beagle posts especially when the emphasis is on hunting and the dog work.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Sometimes we have to taste the bitter in order to more deeply savor the sweet. Loosing Bonnie was a bitter pill Rowdy yet the sweetness of experiencing what she left you with in these young dogs will cause you to joyfully remember her for many years to come.

Glad you're enjoying these young dogs. I've always found my greatest joy in hounds is in watching young dogs develop into seasoned hounds.

Shady Grove Beagles

That's what I'm talking about ! These are the kind of quotes I can relate to and tell me exactly how you're running.

Newt-- "I've watched as the rabbits made big circles in the corn fields and the hounds are running like they are running a hare or a fox.Nose high and wide open.Exciting times!"

ericwadle3-- "Running about 4.5 on the Garmin,keep steady pressure on them without long breakdowns.If a rabbit stays up and running past the 50 minute mark it seems the odds of getting caught drastically increase."

swampman--"These young hounds caught 2 rabbits,not swinging,line running catches."

Spent this past weekend over in middle Tn. with my good friend Peter Burns.Pete's got some good connections in the area and quite a bit of private land to rabbit hunt on.We both shot our limit on Friday and did real well on Saturday too.
It was really too warm for good running [mid 70's] but the dogs showed out with some real pedal- to- the- metal hard driving chases. Of the 10 rabbits we took on Friday 7 of them were bucks and all the ones we took on Saturday were bucks.I'd say this was a pretty good indication that they have started breeding and they ran like a breeding buck too.
If I can figure how to post a couple pics on here I will, otherwise have to wait for my wife to get home and give me a hand.Always helps to have a tech savvy wife!!!!!

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

When this topic comes up the question I ask is......How much disregard is their for running the line.

If a pack of hounds "run to catch" and frequently break down that equals.....JUNK

If a pack of hounds can "run to catch" and closely follow the line........QUALITY

Then we take it to the next level......during December-February snow and Ice do they "run to catch" and totally blow up every race or slow down to just keep the track going? ....If not, we are Back to JUNK again.

I've come to the point where I will sacrifice the top end speed in exchange for control when the conditions are poor. I'm really sick of hearing about all the "FAST" dogs that gear down and walk a track on the snow and Ice. Maybe I need to get out more but I just haven't seen it.

All that said, absolutely no reason for a hound to be running a slow pace when conditions are great.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

I think these guys are talking about superb running conditions with footy dogs and on bare ground Dave with the exception of Swampman and I bet he doesn't need more than one hand to count the number of times he's had his dogs do that in the last 10 + years. Judging from what little I know about Swampman it's a pretty safe bet that his dogs aren't of the wild and crazy running style either. I know the (2) I bought from him are not!

Shady Grove Beagles

mybeagles
I hear what you're saying!
Obviously the beagles I keep with their background of Large Pack on Hare and Mid-West hounds usually run a track [ cottontail,swampers or hare] at a considerably faster pace than say the U.B.G.F. or P.B.G.F. hounds I've seen run.Given that, the terms "close and clean" mean something different to a fellow that prefers the more conservative beagle than it might to me.
Fellows that prefer that type of hound almost always feel that my preferred style of hound is too rough,too wild and thus breaks down a lot and struggles to keep a race going.I'm sure that is probably true with some of the beagles out there.Not the case here as I wouldn't keep a hound that couldn't keep on his rabbit.
As far as how "close to the line" they run? That's a matter of judgement and preference I guess.
I have a good friend in Ohio that used to run Mid-West regularly and judged the trials too. When he watches my hounds run up there he tells me " man they can get it and they're close,clean and snap right back in the checks".
Here in Tn. even during the winter I seldom have to contend with any snow or ice.We do though have our share of "bad days" where scenting conditions are poor.Do my "fast" dogs burn em up on those days?Of course not! Do they slow down and try their best to keep the track going? Yes! Have I seen slower,more conservative hounds with a "big nose" look better than mine in extreme tough conditions? You bet!
I don't know if my hounds would be considered to have top end speed or not [I need to" get out more" too ].Bottom line is that they have been running tracks this season with speed,accuracy and stamina to have caught more rabbits off of hard driving runs than any pack I've had before.So it's kind of "the proof is in the pudding" for me. I guess I think I've got "quality" but that's just me.LOL.

Here's a scenario that I'd like to throw out there and see what other's might think.
Two beagles; one of say U.B.G.F. breeding and the other say of Large Pack on Hare breeding of approx. the same age,size,conditioning,etc. are hunting a large open field. They are basically hunting side by side and a rabbit jumps up in front of them and a sight chase ensues across the open area.Both dogs are sight chasing and are neck and neck going across the field.
The rabbit hits the thick cover and disappears.When the dogs hit the cover the LPH hound continues at a fast pace and the U.B.G.F. hound immediately slows as the other hound pulls away.Why? Because that's the difference in how they've been bred/developed to run a rabbit.
I liken it to how some people read............reading has always been a gift for me and I can read as fast as I can speak.We've all seen others who read very slowly and some even have to use their finger to stay on the line they are reading.
I think "run to catch" type hounds have a burning desire to catch their game while other styles seem to be content to "trail" their game.
As mybeagles stated ' there's absolutely no reason for a hound to be running a slow pace when conditions are great". Amen.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Shady Grove,

I find it interesting that everyone prefers a particular speed. I can honestly say I don't. I want dogs to run the speed conditions allow. If everyone was breeding for hounds that adjusted they wouldn't be so illusive. I'm generally supportive of the trials but when it comes to speed, the trials have done great harm to beagling. We have segmented SPO into 5 different speed hounds. If your hound deviates more than 1 speed in either direction you might as well save your money. As a result we end up with hounds that run 1 speed..... SLOW....MED/SLOW....MEDIUM...MED/FAST...FAST.

Some days that would look like "run to catch", other days it might look like they were just following the line.

Only run once with Swampman but I suspect we favor a similar style dog.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly