Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Run to catch

Post by Shady Grove Beagles » Wed May 30, 2018 3:35 pm

After a pretty cool Spring the hot and humid weather has arrived.
Seems the older I get the less I care about running when it's close to 90. Hard on the dogs and on me! Due to that,the dogs hadn't been out in a week.
Woke up early yesterday and it was 64 degrees and raining and I grabbed the four girls and headed out.Figured I wouldn't melt.
Ran em for 4 hours and I got soaked to the bone as the heavens opened up and dumped on me.
But oh what running! One of those days where the rabbit just can't lose them.
Ended up catching a grown buck rabbit after 1 hour and 10 minutes of pounding.
This time of year I'd have felt bad if it had been a doe. Ol' Buck needed a better game plan is all I can say................
Hope you all have got some good prospects you're getting started.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Swampman

Post by Swampman » Thu May 31, 2018 6:19 pm

Went up to my cabin for the weekend to grade the lane going in and work on the generator.
Took the hounds with and was in the timber by 5:00 AM with a couple friends and their hounds and by 8:00 AM it was getting too hot.
The hounds didn't catch any but they pounded for 3 hours and put on 15 miles, it was a blast!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:04 am

Running hare Rowdy or cottontails? I know you've got both.
Ran last night for several hours.I used to run at night all the time and had for years but hadn't done much after dark running since I retired 5 years ago and could go whenever I wanted to.
It had rained all day long and stopped after I'd eaten supper.Thought it might be a night for some good running.
Wasn't disappointed as the dogs flat out pounded!! Only draw back was the beagles weren't ready to quit when I was.Had to grab a light and hike in and catch them off. Leading 4 dogs out of the woods in the dark------reminded me too much of my coon hunting years.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Swampman

Post by Swampman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:23 pm

We were running hare.
We still had snow a month ago, been in the 90's all weekend and week until this morning, high today of 72, 66 tomorrow and 67 on Sunday.
Still have field work to do, but I'm looking forward to getting the hounds out this weekend (cottontails) with the cooler temps.

I mostly run at night during the summer, my work hours don't allow me much daylight hour running and it's just too hot anyways during the day.

I travel some for work and will be in CA. next week, wish I could take the hounds with me and run those jack rabbits they have.
Those things are huge!!