Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Beagle Huntsman

Re: Run to catch

Post by Beagle Huntsman »

Dana: That’s very good work by your hounds to catch a rabbit in June. With so many rabbits running around this time of year, it’s hard to stay with the same one long enough for that to happen. Equimax paste seems to work for me on tapes. I had to use it on the hounds a few times in the spring!

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Mr. Swampman, thanks for the info. that you sent me a few days ago, about that old web sight.. I thought it was kind of funny what the old man from Ky. had to say ! Seems they seen him for way he is, an idiot and took his power away,, he was never right in that job in the first place.. I have never missed that web sight and have No desire to be back with them, my hounds deserve much better..

Thanks, D.R.
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Beagle Huntsman
Took the girls out early this morning trying to beat the heat.Got a couple hours in before it got uncomfortable.When I start breaking a sweat sitting on my camp stool listening to them run I know it's about time to pick up.
You are right about the woods being full of rabbits. It seemed like all we could get after this morning was little rabbits about the size of a pop can. We all love to listen to those pedal to the metal races but it's rewarding when you see your"fast" hounds gear down and show patience to keep the track going.
Like my buddy Jonah Staten likes to say " walk em when you have to, catch em when you can".
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Aubrey Holcombe

I have a pair of Blue Ticks pups that was 3.5 months old a few days ago, they out of my male,'' Dr. and Dr.'s Spitfire'' they both are running wild rabbits in my Starting Pen. It's been raining about every day, so at daylight I been putting them in with just one old female they looking mighty good for their age.
Their Sir I been call that pup ''Spit'' can get it done, but can't run in my Starting pen, will catch my rabbits!!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

Aubrey Holcombe

I have a pair of Blue Ticks pups that was 3.5 months old a few days ago, they out of my male,'' Dr. and Dr.'s Spitfire'' they both are running wild rabbits in my Starting Pen. It's been raining about every day, so at daylight I been putting them in with just one old female they looking mighty good for their age.
Their Sir I been call that pup ''Spit'' can get it done, but can't run in my Starting pen, will catch my rabbits!!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

TRK

Post by TRK »

Mr Holcombe, I have two red female pups that have several of your dogs in their pedigree. They are not quite four months old and have been jumping and running rabbits in the wild for several weeks now. They are doing well for their age.

Aubrey Holcombe

Hello;

MR. Holcombe, was my Daddy. Just call me D.R. as they once called me ""The Red NECK WITH THE Chihuahua"' back when I was running ARHA Trials.

Good to hear, the young pups are doing good for you they Not suppose to care for Trash either. I been Breeding them now for about 25 years with lots of HUNT, AND TRASH PROOF ! Thanks for the good report.
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>>>> :check:

Shady Grove Beagles

After a cool and wet Spring where I was getting to run the dogs 3-4 times a week the beagle running has really slowed down.
Early July arrived as it usually does with it's mid 90's degree days with humidity you could cut with a knife. Don't know about the rest of you but at this stage of my hound dog running career I don't much care for running when it's that hot. Hard on me and hard on the hounds.
Then middle of July my wife and I took two weeks of vacation out of state visiting friends and family in Massachusetts.
Upon arriving back in Tennessee I was scheduled to have a torn meniscus in my knee repaired so for the past week I've been hobbling around with first crutches and then cane.
Last night I realized that my hounds had only been out once in the past month! I don't honestly think that in the past 46 years of keeping my own hounds that I'd ever gone that long without running them.
I used to run at night a lot but since i retired and can go most anytime I want not much. Well last night I was feeling restless and the dogs were starting to get a little noisy in the pen. We both needed to get out and get the edge off.
It was 82 degrees when I turned loose at 8:00 P.M. Still pretty warm. Dogs had one up within a couple of minutes and it was great to hear the music again.Running was steady for about an hour and then it started to sprinkle and things were really picking up.
I'd picked a spot where I could stay out on a farm road and listen and could get around with my cane. I knew I couldn't follow them in the woods yet.
I'd gotten about a 1/4 of a mile from the truck and it came a "toad strangler". I couldn't hear the dogs and was as wet as if I'd fallen in the lake by the time I got back to the truck.
Ended up sitting in the truck with the window half way down and could hear them pounding as the race came in and out of hearing.
It finally quit raining around 11:00 P.M. and I was able to holler them in and head for the house.
My wife thinks I'm crazy but sometimes you just gotta go !!
Hope you all have some good prospects that you are looking forward to gun season with . It will be here before we know it.

Shady Grove Beagles

Hey !
Got an e-mail from Daddy Rabbit today.He has been in the hospital recently with some issues that have thrown him off his stride.
He's one of our more senior beaglers and has been at this beagling sport a long time.
Keep him in your thoughts and prayers please.

main event`s beagles

Post by main event`s beagles »

prayers for mr. rabbit
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

warddog

Post by warddog »

Praying for a speedy recovery!

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Godspeed DR., get well soon.

Aubrey Holcombe

Thanks fellows:
Yep, spent a few days in that Big Piedmont' Athens, Ga. have some good M.D.found my problem, loosing blood, Hemoglobin was bad low, After much Medicine. an a blood transferal. First time I ever got some blood. from the blood bank. felling lots better.

keep Looking UP!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :dance:

Hurricane Creek

Post by Hurricane Creek »

Spit's brother Romeo is now with his sire and Miss Jayden in KY. Hope both have fun and are successful in the field and in the trials :)

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/beagle/ ... reek-romeo

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Hurricane he looks almost just like his sister Diva I have here in NC.