Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hare Chaser

Re: Run to catch

Post by Hare Chaser »

I can't speak for John Way Dana, but you know me well enough to know that if I was trying to make you feel guilty it would be straight on between you and me, not on some public forum. You also know my circumstances regarding availability of game and spots to hunt as well as having known my conservative game harvesting practices for over 35 years of friendship through countless nights and days of following our hounds.

Many of the places I have to run dogs contain 2-3 hare. They are simply worth more to me alive than dead so on those good running days when the circles start getting smaller and smaller I choose to pick up my dogs before the inevitable happens. Yes, it does fire up the dogs a bit when they get a hold of their game. I was glad to see mine get one last week. It was the first since you shot one for them one year ago last week.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey Dan.No, I don't think you or John were trying to make me feel guilty. When my dogs catch a rabbit maybe I should say that I don't feel guilty as much as I feel bad that that game little rabbit won't run again.But then again...............

I was just thinking back to many years ago coon hunting with you in some of the big corn pieces along the river in the Upper Valley.The hounds would be smoking a big ol' coon up one row and down another as fast as they all could run and then sometimes you'd hear them catch him on the ground and what a ruccus that would be! That's one benefit of getting old---oh the memories !
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Mine haven't caught any since I started back running this year. I lost 2 of my old dogs and a 5 year old male that was the best male dog I had, you can sure tell the difference when you loose some. these youngins are gonna have to come along a little before I catch another one. They try hard but got a little ways to go. I don't really like to catch them but it's nice to know you have dogs that can.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Shady Grove Beagles wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:38 pm
I was just thinking back to many years ago coon hunting with you in some of the big corn pieces along the river in the Upper Valley.The hounds would be smoking a big ol' coon up one row and down another as fast as they all could run and then sometimes you'd hear them catch him on the ground and what a ruccus that would be! That's one benefit of getting old---oh the memories !
I'd love to hear and now be able to video, Night Champion Robinson's Blue Drum and Grand Champion Night Champion Hood's Finley River Jody run that coon on Moose Mtn the last of October in 1986. Drum was a true pleasure dog as was Jody. Not sure there are many dogs around today that could work up an old track like Drum could and have the meat at the end of it. Definitely have not heard a hound with a voice like his since he passed. Good days that I'd revisit again if I could.

warddog

Post by warddog »

That Finley River Jody name brought back many coon hunting memories for me as well. I had two females, way back in the 70's directly out of ole Finley River Chief that were as nice as I had from that point forward. I don't know if this Jody was of that lineage but if so being a nice pleasure hound would have fit it. Those memories are things that can NOT be lost like some of those ole hounds (coon and rabbit) of the past that some of us still use as a measuring stick today. Sometimes I can't remember what I had for supper last night but I can still remember the good ole hounds long gone. Heck, I can also remember some of the sorry ones as well! LOL

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

My Walkers Full-Cry Babe was by Finley River Chief. She was a waste of dog food, but I was young and impressed by pedigrees. I gave her away to late after she came in season and caused the dog fight that killed my best hound. It was my fault for keeping her around.
I started with walkers but ended with English red ticks, smarter better track dog and no offgame troubles, no slick treeing or dog fighting at the tree. jmho of what I saw. My uncle had a fine pair of walkers, but favored bluetic. I had deer trouble with blue tic also. I always liked a redbone but never found one that had much hunt desire, always seemed they had to soft a nature about them.
Hard to speak openly about hounds, always ends like your bad-mouthing family...lol

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

warddog wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:10 am
That Finley River Jody name brought back many coon hunting memories for me as well. I had two females, way back in the 70's directly out of ole Finley River Chief that were as nice as I had from that point forward. I don't know if this Jody was of that lineage but if so being a nice pleasure hound would have fit it. Those memories are things that can NOT be lost like some of those ole hounds (coon and rabbit) of the past that some of us still use as a measuring stick today. Sometimes I can't remember what I had for supper last night but I can still remember the good ole hounds long gone. Heck, I can also remember some of the sorry ones as well! LOL
You guys are waking up a lot of memories in me too ,one of the best coon hounds I've ever walked behind was a direct son of Gr Nt Ch Ganns Finisher,who is of the same blood as finley river chief........

Shady Grove Beagles

I know this is a rabbit / beagle site but I also realize that an awful lot of beaglers have also kept the big tree hounds.
When I first moved to Tn. an older beagler I met at the trials told me that "most beaglers around here used to be coon hunters or chicken fighters before they got old" LOL.
I kept and followed the coon hounds for 21 years in New Hampshire and just couldn't get enough of it! Traveling the country for Nite Hunts and also doing some bear and cat hunting with the big hounds.Me and harechaser have spent many a night in the woods waiting for those locating barks and now when we run beagles we get to reminise. Although Dan has got a much better memory than I do !! Probably cause he's younger.LOL.
If you don't have a hound that runs to catch you won't put many bear or cats in a tree.

warddog

Post by warddog »

a lot of folks think that coon hunting and rabbit hunting are two totally different things but I, have always said they are not. I have done plenty of night trailing, been to a couple beagle trials and the game is pretty much the same other than the size of the hounds. Regardless of size they have to start, jump or strike, trail and then account for their quarry either in a tree, a hole a brush pile or at the end of a gun. I remember back when UKC first started into beagle registration along with trials and even had two that I single registered as foundation stock with yellow papers. The UKC format for trialing beagles seemed to be pretty close to that of a coon hound trial. I suspect that is why a lot of us ole big hound chasers just get smaller dogs as the difference is pretty much the size of the game, the dogs and whether the lights are on or not.

BMBeagles

Post by BMBeagles »

Do your your dogs catch them in late season ? Jan,feb ?hows there hunt when soloed on snow ? Im looking for a pup from hunting stock

Shady Grove Beagles

BMBeagles
If you are asking me if my dogs regularly catch rabbits in Jan. and Feb. the answer is no.
I live here in Tn. so the snow question is often moot.We often go through a hunting season with no snow at all and when we do get 3-4" it doesn't affect my dogs at all.
All my dogs are from hunting stock as that's WHAT I do with my hounds--pleasure run and gun hunt.
Don't have any pups except for a 9 month old female that I'm running and she's staying here.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Hey Dana have you got my messages. I rarely get the chance to hunt on snow, Dan is looking really good, went to running about a month ago now.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

They catch a few here and there in the winter when they make the mistake of getting out in the open, but it doesn't happen too often.
Season is upon us! :D

Shady Grove Beagles

Great pics Rowdy. Thanks for posting!
Had a nice cool / wet morning today.Took all four of my females.
First rabbit up was a pounder with very short checks and the girls drove him hard and to a hole after about 45 minutes.
Second rabbit they could drive pretty hard but he must have been an educated rabbit as he was able to throw in enough tricks to cause the dogs to slow down and work out the checks. Very excited to watch my 9 month old Queenie pup pick a nice check in front of her three older kennel mates and go with it.Rabbit gave then the slip after a 30 minute race.
Last rabbit gave a real good run going out quite a ways in big circles.All four were singing the chorus and running basically with out checks for about 50 minutes when they caught him.
This is the 5'th rabbit my dogs have run to the catch in the past 7 weeks. Either these cotton tails have gotten slower or I'm really liking these four females I've got!

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Cool Dana.
Did you and Dan make the trip to VT to his cabin this year?