Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

warddog

Re: Run to catch

Post by warddog »

I have to agree with you two ole fellas as you both are a couple years older than I am. I have hunted my entire life and age hasn't stopped me yet but what has really slowed me down is the changes to the sport. Used to be that a man could hunt about any property that held game and a lot of ole mine spill bank property back then. Now much of it has been reclaimed and what is not is under private ownership that allows no trespassing let alone hunting. Got so bad several years ago that my cousin (hunting buddy) and I joined a hunting club that leased a pretty good piece of property from the mine and had access at any time to about 1500 acres. That property was then sold to a private entity and the lease cost went up so drastically that even the club could not afford it so we are back to a small place or two. The other opportunity was to hunt state property which is actually about a half mile from us but we never had ANY luck on it for small game but deer and turkeys are abundant as are other hunters in the same situation. Neither of us want to kill many rabbits and have not put but a couple on the table for the past many years but we haven't been able to find a spot to even run that gets much of that done either. There is a place on some ole mine property that has rabbits to run and NO hunting is allowed so one can go get a run or two IF you want to stand in line to do so. It is about a mile square, I would guess with a line of trucks with dog boxes there nearly every day of the week. Rabbits are very smart and hard to run as they are dogged so much. There is a beagle club that maintains it with cover, trails, rabbits and feeders and is their running grounds that they have trials there as well so the pressure is very heavy even with them trying to help out the property. We never turn our dogs loose somewhere that we do not have permission to hunt upon and I love it but the times have changed so much that it has made what we thought it would be much less than we thought it would be when younger longing for it. We both have purchased plots of property that we can deer hunt but they hold absolutely no small game and seeing a rabbit on them is like seeing a deer when I was a kid. Now it has flip flopped and we have had to do so as well to be able to hunt at all. We never have had to drive all over the country to hunt small game and probably will not do so now. Yes, get er done while you can as those good ole days are long past gone in our area.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Shady::

Thanks for the come back, man You been my Hero for many years, Keep Sharing your Rabbit Hunting Ventures, with us as they always Top Shelf. I SURE do enjoy, the photo's of hounds.

Keep Looking Up!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check: :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Shady Grove's Josie Blue with a belly full of pups sired by Josh Stofer's Bone Box Blue Spook.About a week away from seeing the results of this cross.
As a back yard breeder who breeds what he runs and runs what he breeds I'm pretty excited about these pups.
In 1993 I bought a female pup from Victor Costanza out of IFC Maravic's Blue Ninja x Greenbriar Charity and have been breeding and running dogs out of that bloodline ever since.
I didn't breed either Spook or Josie but both are very representative of this family of hounds in pedigree and performance which is in my mind the cornerstone of making any cross.
Spook is the kind of male that I'm very happy to add to the dogs from my kennel as having hunted and run with him half a dozen times and his consistency in competition gives some assurance of his quality. He's out of the last litter sired by F.C. Pinnacle Hill Sport
I'd like to thank my very good friend Jonah Staten up in Ohio for giving me Josie as a pup. She's made a special dog in my book and has been very reflective of her sire and dam.
Been a couple of years since the last litter born here.Can't help it,it's always exciting for me.
Hope springs eternal !
Attachments
DSC02786 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC02786 (600 x 450).jpg (119.5 KiB) Viewed 54570 times
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Good luck with them my friend. Hope all goes well with Josie through the process from birth to weaning. You always do a good job caring for and tending them.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Good luck with them Dana, hope they turn out well for you.

Aubrey Holcombe

Very Nice looking female, and here is wishing you, and her the very best in these endeavor, good time of the year for pups. Thanks for posting both, you and the hound.

Say this traveling all over the County Gun Hunting Keeping, you nice and fit as a fiddle, keep it up, makes us happy.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

Shady Grove Beagles

Thank You
Harechaser,Swampman and Daddy Rabbit.
Thanks for the well wishes on Josie's pups.
We came home from church yesterday and she had 5 pups in the box with her.She continued to have them throughout the day and by supper time she'd had 8 more =13 !
I'd have liked to see her go a couple more days to full term [63 days ] but I guess as big as she'd gotten they needed to come when they did [6o-61 days].
The last 3 pups she had are pretty tiny compared to the others but are nursing and still here 24 hours later so will keep our fingers crossed for them.
Josie is being a super momma dog. Very calm,attentive and careful not to step or lie on them.Thankful as this is her first litter.Still,13 pups is a lot for any bitch to handle.

Aubrey Holcombe

WTG:

That's a lots of pups, most I ever had was "Ol Ester" had 12 one time and she raised them ever one.. it was her second litter and they were all sizes at birth, but once they were weaned, and eating dry dog feed the females were about the same size and the males were all a bit larger.

Good luck with them.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:

Hurricane Creek

Post by Hurricane Creek »

What a good girl! Congrats Dana on a nice litter, hope momma and babies continue to do well. And yes, I still would like a male :)

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Wow bud! Got yourself a basketful! Hope all goes well! Got your message the other night I'll give ya call later in the week!

Shady Grove Beagles

Here's the 10 pups out of Shady Grove's Josie Blue x Bone Box Blue Spook at 2 weeks old. Six males and four females.
She had 13 pups but the last 3 born were very small in comparison to the first 10 and I had my doubts as to them making it and they lasted about 36 hours before giving up and dying.
Talked to a vet. once about "runts" and why they occur. He said that once an embryo is fertilized it then has to attach to the wall of the uterus where it remains, getting nutrients and growing throughout gestation. Some pups get a more advantageous placement or spot in the uterus getting more of what the mother is providing than the ones that are so to speak "at the back of the bus". This is more apt to happen in very large litters.
Another thing to consider is that a female dog does not necessarily ovulate or let down all her eggs at the same time. Usually ovulation takes place over approximately a four day period with some eggs arriving possibly on day one of the female's "take" window and others may come on day four of the "take" period.Once the eggs are shed from the ovaries it takes them 72 hours to mature before they can unite with the male's sperm.The male's sperm can live up to 7 days inside the female.So the day of "breeding" may not necessarily be the day of conception.
We bred Josie and Spook on a Wednesday early [ her 11'th day ]. Skipped a day and Josh and I went running some of our other dogs. Then bred her again late Friday [ her 13'th day ] before I headed back to Tennessee. So there was a 48 hour time period between breedings.
This could mean that 10 of those little embryos were fertilized / conceived on the first breeding and the last 3 were conceived on the second breeding making the pups actually two days or more age difference.
Josie had her pups at 60 days from the first breeding. I've had better luck when females go the full 63 days. That means it's possible that those 3 tiny ones could actually have been only 58 days or less when they were born .
With dogs having such relatively short pregnancies as compared to us humans that means a pup being born 5-6 days early is about the same as a human preemie coming 6 weeks early and ending up staying in the hospital's neonatal unit for awhile. Just not fully mature at time of birth.
Nature is pretty wonderful and complex and so glad for a good result.
Attachments
DSC02797 (600 x 450).jpg
DSC02797 (600 x 450).jpg (93.91 KiB) Viewed 54170 times

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

A lot of white right now but I suspect the blue ticking is coming. They look really healthy, she is doing a good job with them.

Shady Grove Beagles

James
Everyone of them has black feet which is an indicator of the bluetick coloring [ tri-colors born with pink pads ].
They are already starting to show blue on their legs and bellies.No doubt the whole litter will be blueticks!
Old Blue,you good dog you......

Aubrey Holcombe

Bossman:

Give that female of yours, a pat on her head!!

That is a mighty fine Looking Litter of pups. Say is that her first litter?

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Shady Grove Beagles

Yes it is her first litter. She's 5 years old and I've wanted to breed her for awhile now because she 's one of the best track running dogs I've ever owned.
Fast AND accurate and works a check right coming out of it quick and moving on.Plus a dog with a ton of personality which is important to me.
I don't raise a lot of litters.I have an older female that I like very much and in the last 4 years I've bred her twice with good results.
This was Josie's time and I expect good results from her and Spook.