Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hurricane Creek

Re: Run to catch

Post by Hurricane Creek »

mybeagles wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:13 pm
Apparently I relayed the wrong message. I like a run to catch hound and am striving for such. I think there are run to catch hounds that run with control but they seem to get harder and harder to find. Lots of wild coyote hounds and lots of slow as pond water.
mybeagles you should make the ride down and run yours with Dana's girls. They're a pleasure to watch and hunt with; good looking well rounded hounds and they do get it done.

By choice most of mine are medium speed, and the AKC Beagle Field Trial Rules is my standard... But I enjoy having a couple "faster" hounds with the brains (control) to solo or pack, RUN when they can, grub it out when they have to, and mind as they should. I'm looking forward to my male pup out of Josie. :)

Hey Dana, I think you meant to say "Josie" in your post with the pups pic (instead of "Tess").

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

You're 100% right Ed ! Don't know how I missed that. These pups are out of Spook x Shady Grove's Josie Blue.
Josh Stofer and his wife and daughter came down from Kentucky the other day and picked out his stud fee pup.I'm proud that Josh had enough confidence in what he's seen out of Josie to want a pup out of her and Spook rather than cash. He said they're naming the pup SHAZAM ! Now that's a name to live up to.
Looking forward to seeing you Friday Ed. There's a nice male waiting for you to take back to west Tn.
Thanks for the kind words in regards to my dogs. The best reference is from someone that has hunted / run with them.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Shady Grove Beagles

This little guy is headed to Georgia tomorrow. He's a spitfire Mr. Holcombe!
Three of his brothers left this morning with two headed to Virginia and the other to a fellow in south Georgia.
This litter going in all directions ie; Vermont,New Hampshire,West Virginia,North Carolina,Kentucky and Tennessee.
They'll be run on cottontail,hare and swampers and if following in their parents footsteps should do well on all three.
Seven of these pups went to guys that have dogs from here or have hunted with me and my hounds.
Good luck guys and thanks for your confidence in trying one of these. Much appreciated.
Attachments
DSCN0244 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN0244 (600 x 450).jpg (84.62 KiB) Viewed 30088 times

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Dad Gym Dana, I didn't mean for you to Pick me the Best looking Pup, in the liter !

I was pondering as to his name,, I like that "Spitfire" I was thinking about " D.R. & Dana's Moe" Can't Go Wrong with "D.R. & Dana's Spitfire" !

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

warddog

Post by warddog »

That sure is a nice looking pup.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

OH D.R. I think I got the best looking 1 in the litter. Of course I bet so do the owners of the other 8, lol. She sure likes NC. I should try and post a picture of Dan and Diva. I got Dan from Dana 2 years ago. He is nice, real nice. Try and get some pictures up here the weekend.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

I Shall be waiting. My Long Red Train, had a Blue tick for years, he was a an Oakhill breed male, Small fellow about 12" tall for his size, he was Tough !!

He didn't let them, Red's make anything off him, although my boys was always calling him the caboose ! his name was D.R's Jeb, pure breed Oakhill by Miss Sally, I love that little fellow.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Shady Grove Beagles

Color is a funny thing in beagles and I've found it to be somewhat regional also.
Growing up in Massachusetts and rabbit hunting in the '60's and 70's all I ever saw were tri-color beagles.
In the mid 90's I ended a 21 year addiction to the big tree hounds and returned to the beagles. I'd been inquiring of some of the old timers at the Claremont Beagle Club in New Hampshire where I was a member and got directed to Vic Costanza's I.F.C. Maravic's Blue Ninja-- a true bluetick. Up until that point I'd never seen a bluetick beagle-- only my coon dogs. With the success of Ninja as a competitor in the field and as a prepotent stud dog it became pretty common to see some blueticks showing up. Ninja's son N.L.P.C F.C.Maravic's Blue Barry also produced some top blueticks such as N.L.P.C.I.F.C. Beavercreek Blue Max and F.C. Sidehill Keuka Blue. The bluetick beagle in the Northeast became fairly common.
Back then you'd see a couple of black and tan beagles [usually out of Woodstock Grampy breeding ] at a trial but I'd never seen a red and white,lemon and white,redtick or red beagle at any Large Pack on Hare trials or out hunting in the northeast.
When I moved to Tennessee in '95 and started attending some Little Pack trials I was amazed at all the red and white,lemon and white and redtick beagles there were here in this part of the country. Can't remember seeing any blueticks around here back then.
When 2006 Little Pack World Champion I.F.C. Greenwell's Reggie became known and started reproducing some dogs of note there was a surge of bluetick beagles in the midwest and southeast and quite common now.Especially in Kentucky.
If you attend any of the Large Pack on Hare trials in Michigan and Wisconsin you will see an awful lot of black and tan beagles from Birch Lake,Riverland,Wilson's Izzo breeding.

TRK

Post by TRK »

Shady, I have had some dogs that go back to the same ancestors as the ones you are talking about from Northern Michigan. Along with the Black and Tan, I have seen some that were red. I have not been around that type of breeding a lot, I was just curious if the red is common in those lines.. The red ones I have seen had very little white similar to the Black and Tans.

Shady Grove Beagles

TRK
I can't answer that question about the red hounds from that area or particular breeding.
Maybe we can get someone that is more familiar to chime in on that.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

FC Lake Ogemaw Casey who was Paycheck bred threw lots of Red dogs and B/T. Some of Gene’s dogs had Birch Lake breeding for sure. Kenny runs lots of B/T’s don’t know him to have red dogs....he did have a couple L/W dogs but I think they were out of Jeff Golf’s dogs
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

I tried to post pictures. Gave up.

Shady Grove Beagles

James
The only way I found that I can post pics on this site is to use a site called PIXresizer.You load the pictures on it and there is a place to click on for the "apply recommended "then you load the pic hit save and it saves a 600x450 pic that then can be used on the post.Down at the bottom of the post there is a place that says"options" and beside it says 'attachments".Click on that and your attachment/picture will be loaded.Post what ever you want to say and when you hit submit your post AND the picture should appear.
I didn't figure this all out by myself--- my friend Harechaser who is WAY more savvy with tech. stuff told me about it.
The regular pics we load are too large and the PIXresizer shrinks them down.
Good luck. Took me a bunch of attempts and my wife's help to finally get it down but it does work.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

I messed with it a couple of hours and then had my Daughter try. I will give that a shot, thx.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

IMG_20190520_47568.jpg
IMG_20190520_47568.jpg (90.25 KiB) Viewed 29727 times
This is Diva.