Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: Run to catch

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Hello Dana:

I would say those females litter to "Spit" will do just fine on the South Cane Cutters, they are also a Hare young born with their eyes open an hair on them, no big feet, but can swim these swamp waters like a fish, and tough to run, your big hounds will do just fine with the Cane Cutters!

Keep me posted, my litter off "Spit" all seven pups are three weeks old and reading, writing and arithmetic, mighty fine and well educated pups, to be southern breed..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Well I may be biting off more than I can chew but I went ahead and bred my Shady Grove's Josie Blue two days ago to U.K.C. HB CH. and LP R.CH. B. Outback's Danger Ranger. Ranger is the sire to the Buster dog I bred Fly to and he's out of a litter I bred five years ago.
Now if they take, I'll have two litters arriving mid April within a couple days of each other. Never done that before.
Josie's previous litter of ten are coming three years old and reports on all of them have been very good.

Daddy Rabbit. This is Spit's mother and I'd say there's going to be some more blueticks.LOL.
Attachments
DSCN1293 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN1293 (600 x 450).jpg (114.99 KiB) Viewed 378797 times
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Aubrey Holcombe

Hay Big Bossman"

Look Out Now! If they turn out like Mr. Spit,, they will be Keepers !!

Ever body that seen "Spit" run a rabbit, can't believe the ol boy can run with his head Down, as fast as he can!! I love him, he is a rabbit running machine, and sure does love the Girls, don't make any difference, the color size or Blood Line, he is ready for action!

The only female he ever say that gave him any problem, was that big Gal From Tenn. a few years when he was very young! He is lots bigger now and would be a Dog Fight,, if she said No!!

God luck and if you ever have a Runt,, let me know..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Dixie Land~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

Shady Grove Beagles

Had a super enjoyable week with long time friends Bob Ferranti from New Hampshire and his son Ryan from Vermont.
They brought their beagles down and we ran cotton tails here in Tennessee and gunned some swamp rabbits down in Alabama.Their dogs had left running on two feet of snow and single digit temps but never missed a beat running down here.
Their females Mia and Basil were raised here out of Josh Stofer's F.C. Bone Box Blue Spook x Shady Grove's Josie Blue. It does my heart good to see how nice they have turned out.
They are just coming 3 years old and can flat get it.
Daddy Rabbit. These are litter mate sisters to your Spit dog. And you were right. they had no problems puttin' it on the swamp rabbits in the water.
Attachments
DSCN1302 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN1302 (600 x 450).jpg (88.4 KiB) Viewed 378664 times
DSCN1300 (1) (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN1300 (1) (600 x 450).jpg (87.02 KiB) Viewed 378664 times

Aubrey Holcombe

Good to hear from you Friend. The litter mates don't look anything like my Buddy "Spit" he is a good hound and boy does he love to see me coming with a New Girls Friend !! The old boy has a home here at Rabbit Town USA ~~

IF YOU HAVE A FEMALE FOR SALE LET ME KNOW.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

I

Shady Grove Beagles

Daddy Rabbit
I assume your referring to a female pup out of one of the litters I've recently bred ?
If so you will be right up near the top of the list. Both stud owners want a pup instead of cash and my friend Ryan from Vermont has been waiting for me to have pups for over a year now. A guy here in town tries to buy Josie every time we run. She'll never be for sale and he knows it so he said he'll settle for a female pup.
Nice feeling when guys want one of your pups.

Aubrey Holcombe

Dana;
I understand, as it happen to be often, lost of Gun Hunters. here in this past of the Southeast. looking to get one of my Gun Dogs !F YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE A RUNT, LET ME KNOW NEVER CAN TELL WHAT THEY WILL LOOK LIKE.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Aubrey Holcombe

Dana;
I understand, as it happen to be often, lost of Gun Hunters. here in this past of the Southeast. looking to get one of my Gun Dogs !F YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE A RUNT, LET ME KNOW NEVER CAN TELL WHAT THEY WILL LOOK LIKE.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>>>

I don't know why it sent 2 ??

D.R.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Aubrey Holcombe wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:20 pm
Dana;

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>>>

I don't know why it sent 2 ??

D.R.
I'm with Daddy Rabbit as I most generally try to get the runt BUT I like my rabbit dogs small. I'm about out of it as my last one is 12 and not hunted much anymore as she can't go as she once did. NOW I'm back to TREE DOGS but they are little to as I just got a treeing Feist squirrel dog pup to fool with. YEP, my wife had been bawling for a house dog because I always had the hounds outside in the kennel, so I told her that beings my last one was about gone she could get a house dog as long as it was a hunting breed. Well, we saw TONS of squirrels on my place while deer hunting last year and she loves to eat squirrel so I told her she could get her house dog and some squirrel as well. YEP, she bought into it. LOL

Shady Grove Beagles

Hello Friends
As mentioned in previous posts I have bred my Shady Grove's Fly Girl and Shady Grove's Josie Blue and both are showing to be full of pups expected in the next 2 weeks or so.
If anyone has an interest in a pup please see my post in the "Up-coming Litters" section.
Thanks for any interest and good running to you all.
Sires and dams can be viewed in earlier posts in this section.

Shady Grove Beagles

Congratulations to my friend Blake Grosch and his 15" bluetick male B. Outback's Danger Ranger.
Blake took Ranger out to western Ky. To their A.K.C. Large Pack trial.
29 big males and they ran them for over four hours. Ranger stayed all the way and hit the bench with a 3'rd place.
Not too bad for a dog that had never run Large Pack before.
Ranger can be seen further back on this page.

Shady Grove Beagles

Well, I pretty much hate to make this post but here goes.
I've had the worst "luck" raising pups this Spring that I've ever had. Bred two of my females to two studs I considered to be very worthy of producing some good pups and was excited anticipating these crosses. Well you know what they say "don't count your chickens before they're hatched" or your pups before they're weaned.
Fly dropped 11 pups three days early and by all observations was being an excellent mother. I have dealt with big litters before having had females have 11 and 13 pups previously and would just as soon have them have 5-6. Big litters tend to come early and put a lot of stress on the mother. Plus dogs have eight teats so someone is struggling to feed or getting left out. In big litters that come early there are usually several pups that are smaller than the rest as a result of their placement in the uterus during gestation. Kind of like being in the back of the bus. They're not necessarily getting the nutrition that the bigger pups with a more advantageous uterine placement got. That was the case here with some nice big pups and some much smaller.
Couple this with fluctuating early Spring temperature swings and I had trouble maintaining adequate whelping box temps. I had heat lamps in both whelping boxes but we had very strong winds one night and lost power for four hours during the night when temps were in low 30's. Temps in the whelping boxes when I checked in the morning were low 60's and that is too cold for two and three day old pups. Once they get chilled you're fighting a losing battle in my experience. Bottom line is only half that litter has made it to three weeks old. Those five are big, fat , healthy and growing like weeds and I'm happy to have them.
My Josie Blue ended up dropping 6 pups and again was being an excellent mother but within a week had lost the whole litter. She had successfully raised 10 pups her previous litter so this was very frustrating.
She had developed an acute mastitis and it ended up with her on amoxicillin and me treating her with hot compresses to her teats 4-5 times a day and massaging them and expressing pus / infection out of them. Vet. said that the infected milk supply was what did the pups in.
Breeding dogs and raising pups isn't always as easy as some might think. I had a friend in Pa. tell me about a Field Champion female he was expecting to get a pup out of that recently ended up smothering her whole litter. Have a friend in Vermont that last litter he raised had pups coming dead and then a race to the vets for a caesarian to save the rest. Talked with Daddy Rabbit not too long ago and he was on his way back from the vet with a bitch that had recently whelped, got sick, running a fever and had quit eating. Know a local guy here that had a litter last week and his female was killing and eating her pups [ never had to deal with that ].
Guess I'm not the only one that has had their struggles but it sure has been frustrating for me and to those who were waiting for a pup.

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Sorry to hear that Dana. 5 people are going to happy though. Beagling sure has its ups and downs but you just have to keep fighting the good fight. I'm hoping to get Diva bred her next cycle.

Shady Grove Beagles

James
Diva on to your Lumberjack male may be just the ticket. When she due in ? Best of luck on the cross
Did that guy in N.C. ever get interested in using Dan on his female ?

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Towards the end of this month Dana. I wanted to wait another year but he is getting old and I really like the potential l feel that cross should have so I'm going to go ahead this year. The female I kept off of Dan and Flirt, Gypsy is looking really nice. Her and my 2 year old young female Easy run a real nice rabbit last time out by themselves after I had the rest caught up. Gypsy seems to have gotten the real good qualities of Dan and Flirt. She seems to have Flirts hunt and jumping talent, drives the track like Dan and gets some checks too like both her parents. I really like her. The fellow who bought her 2 littermates likes them a lot 2 specially the female. He's real high on her. The guy contacted me but that's as far as it went. I told him he was welcome to watch Dan go. He may reach out again you never know.