Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Run to catch

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Cool,foggy and wet ground.
Conditions like that you don't need a shotgun - 55 minutes of run to catch.
Biggest surprise was Queenie brought the rabbit to me from a fair distance away.She usually eats them !
Gun season doesn't open for almost another 2 weeks,but the dogs don't know that.
Attachments
DSCN0478 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN0478 (600 x 450).jpg (137.52 KiB) Viewed 9632 times
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Give That Gal, a Atta-girl with a big pat on her head!!

Looking real Good, Dana.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Well Dana Diva has started. looked good today

Aubrey Holcombe

Is she a liter mate to my "Spitfire" male?
I love my pup, he is full of Pee & vinegar,I have spent lots of time with him, he been running now since he was 4 month old, I have a couple of enclosures, wild rabbits, in them and that helps a bunch.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>>>>>

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Yes D.R. she is his littermate.

Aubrey Holcombe

How tall is she going to be? My male was the runt in the litter, I am thinking ? He was small for about 4 or 5 mounts, and I was so glad! Then he took a growing spurt and he is 14" now, but he is good line control, and can step it up when running with my best hounds, has a good mouth, and give more an more as he getting older.

Stay in tough, and thanks for the info on your female..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Diva is on the small side too. I am hoping she just keeps growing. I picked her up Saturday from the enclosure. She was tired, looked like she had plenty of running but we turned the 3 pups in there out with a couple of older dogs. I seen 2 crossings and she was 15/20 yards out front driving the track. Even as tired as she seemed I had to go catch her. She looked good. I'll cut her loose this coming weekend with some of mine in the wild and see what she looks like.

Shady Grove Beagles

Friends from New Hampshire Bob and Ryan Ferranti down for a week of rabbit hunting here in Tennessee.
Brought 4 dogs with them.We hunted on a W.M.A.yesterday to stay away from the opening day muzzle loaders who were everywhere else.
Don't know if that area has been pounded or what but rabbits were hard to come by.We ran 8 dogs and managed to get 2 up and had good hard runs.
Here's my Josie Blue with two of her females daughters;Basil and Mia. The two young dogs sure enjoyed their first kills and looked and sounded pretty good doing it.
Attachments
DSCN0492 (600 x 450).jpg
DSCN0492 (600 x 450).jpg (139.47 KiB) Viewed 9081 times

Aubrey Holcombe

Good looking hounds, and these deer hunters here in Ga. got everything to themselves. Start out in Sept. and goes to the middle of January.

I will be glad when I can get my Gun Dogs out, ''Spit" is getting all fired up, I believe the pup is going to do well..

Thanks for the photo's and sorry the nor-than boys, didn't get in
lots of rabbits, If I can get up two and have a good race it worth my time any day.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

I had a good running rabbit this morning fellows. Sissy jumped him and he wanted to run long, my buddy said boy you think that's right. I said well I've heard Chase and Zeb. He said I just don't hear them old dogs. I said bud when they can run like that them old dogs are running where Sissy, Dan. Birdie, Doc and Diva have already been. That's right Dana, she isn't as big as her sisters above or her mama but she is wirey, spindley almost fiest like built, maybe 14 inches, squeals and she can move the track. Anyway I finally seen the rabbit after about 30 minute, right before he went in a tree hole. they where putting on him. I told my buddy I said that's why you don't shock unless you are sure. About 30 minutes later his 8 month old puppy got after a deer that run right by us, the 1st thing she has ever run. I told him last week she was about to start he better put a shock collar on her, he didn't. Lucky for him it was her 1st run and she didn't know enough to go to far, a couple hundred yards out across the field and came back. Nothing else went but I had to lay down the law on him and tell him she couldn't go with me no more with her without a shock collar. Diva is looking real good, she has had 3 or 4 checks and a jump. She is a little tight with her mouth so far but like Dan I expect that to come with running. Dan is making a super nice dog.

Shady Grove Beagles

Looking for some in-put.
Had a couple of friends here from Vt. and N.H. last week for some rabbit hunting.They brought 4 dogs with them and I ran my 4.
Last Tuesday we headed out with 2 inches of snow on the ground and bushes,26 degrees and a pretty stiff wind.Certainly not your usual Tn. November weather.
Didn't think we'd do very well and to my surprise the 8 dogs burned them up with several of the runs hitting the hour mark with the beagles driving them hard.
Two days later with the sky blue,no wind and 52 degrees the same 8 dogs we jumped 6 different rabbits.Four of them ran one circle and went to ground with the dogs marking the holes.The other 2 races I also think holed but the dogs came back to us after working the check for 10 minutes with no result.We didn't go in on those two to check for a hole.These races also were pretty hard going races.
Both areas were on public land that I know have been hunted and probably pretty hard.
Do you think that the difference was -weather? hunting pressure? speed of the pack? predator population? buck or doe rabbits? Always find it curious that one day that you think won't be good is and vice-versa.
Always interested what other houndsmen think.Fact is that's the reason I post here. Try to keep some BEAGLING / RABBIT HUNTING discussion going between those of us that share this passion.
Everybody says that everybody has gone to Face Book. That maybe true but I've found some of that discussion leaves a lot to be desired....................
So what do you all think?

Welshman

Post by Welshman »

I appreciate reading all your posts on this forum. Always interesting and well written. I also know that personally I could not begin to dissect the variables of your two hunts any better than you and I will not begin to try. I do wonder if the previous day or days weather and the incoming weather may have an affect on the game. All animals either domestic or wild seem to be more in tune with mother nature. Also I have never been on Facebook nor do I feel I will ever have a desire to, so please don't abandon this site.
Good hunting to you!

warddog

Post by warddog »

There are a few people on this cite that I have and will always think are E.F. Huttons of the time. They are of the same age as I am but have spent more time in all aspects of rabbit hunting than I have as a sport hunter. I have never competition hunted beagles Although I have been to a couple just to see what they are all about. I did competition hunt coon hounds for years and got a bad taste in my mouth of competition over pleasure which became obvious to me. NOT all had that air about them but a vast majority did which seemed to me like a personality change when it was turned over to a judge for points and especially money. With that said I have followed many, many years behind coon hounds and beagles and what I have learned is that the moment one says they will NOT do this or they will not do that the dogs will do this and or that. The questions Shady grove airs about the game running or going to hole one day or time of day can change 180° at any time and I can also say that can apply to the dogs as well. I guess part of this is that I do not think man has or can even figure it out and that is why we all like it so much as I relate it to fishing as well. When we turn the dogs loose it is like casting into a good ole fishing hole because we really do not know what's gonna get on the end of that hook. I think that EVERYTHING Shady cited can be factors in how game moves as well as how the dogs can move them and man is constantly trying to figure out what or which ones apply to the specific circumstances. All of these things can attribute to a trip to the field and when doing so, it is like playing cards and those cards have backs on them for a reason. We are confident that we have a pretty good set of cards but we can't see the other cards faces until the game plays out and we sit back to ponder what went wrong or what went right. We are normally pretty happy when we have hands that are pretty consistent overall knowing that there will be outliners as dogs are dogs and cards are cards. and I think it is the excitement of what may be dealt out that makes us love it. I know that doesn't even come close to specifically answering Shady's question but what it says in my eyes is I do NOT truly know as I have never smelled a game animal in my life and I can only take my hat off to the subject matter experts who can't say a word.

Aubrey Holcombe

Mr. Shady Grove, has lots of real, time life experience with these hounds dogs, and I can never give him any pointers, as he may have already done that and if no will be doing it sooner or later ?

I have something I been experimenting, with here of late. Let me ask any of you what do you think is the Most important thing, that can effect the scenting conditions ?

Well, I Need ref-raze that question, and say One, of the most important things, I have found, that make for good scenting conditions?

To be continued..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

Daddy Rabbit, I'm no expert by any means, but I will throw my opinion in anyway which is based on articles I have read and my observations in the field. Humidity is probably the biggest factor concerning scent. Humidity is water vapor in the air and water vapor will hold scent molecules within it. Kind of like dust particles sticking to a wet surface better than a dry one. This allows more scent molecules to remain in the air longer. Now temperature effects humidity so it also plays a role. Cooler temperatures are more humid and that is why it's usually better running early and late in the day. However, in winter months if temperatures become very cold the scent molecules will freeze within the water vapor and become trapped where it becomes harder to smell. Barometric pressure and wind will also effect how scent is carried through the air. So, it's a combination of factors and each play a role, but IMO and according to what I have read, humidity seems to be the greatest one.