Run to catch

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Run to catch

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

mybeagles
I like your post and totally agree with you about hounds being able to adjust to conditions.
I don't focus on speed and I go to trials so infrequently I couldn't tell you how my hounds measure up to what folks are running in different formats or parts of the country.
What I do know after the past 50 years of hound dogging is that I demand a dog that will "get after" his game.
I've been fortunate enough over my dogging career to have spent many,many nights coon hunting,a lot of days listening to the bear dogs run a bear,winter days of cat hunting on snow,hunted with a World Champion squirrel dog and my neighbor had a 200 acre fox pen literally in my back woods.
The one thing I've noticed is that the outstanding dogs in any of these pursuits all possessed what I choose to call a "run to catch" attitude.
I just don't see a SLOW.... MEDIUM/SLOW..... or even a MEDIUM speed hound possessing that mind set or having the mental desire or physical ability to overtake their game.
As always JMHO.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I demand that desire in my dogs its just been a battle to find hounds with the drive that will settle down enough to walk a track when its 10 below and icy. That has left me with dogs "too rough for UBGF" and "a little too easy" for Midwest and Large Pack. I'm ok with that because I'm happy with what I run but its tough to validate what you have when you don't fit in. I also find breeding decisions and pup purchases a complicated mess.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Shady Grove Beagles

What do they say these days "I feel your pain?"
A lot of fellows on this board and even more on THE HUNTED HARE board talk about needing a hound with the tools to hunt in extreme conditions such as -10 below on ice,crust,etc.
Guess I'm feeling blessed as I don't have to hunt in those conditions anymore or require a hound that can grind it out when it's like that. I also don't need to go out and press my dogs when it's real hot and humid,90 degrees and ain't rained in a month. The beauty of being retired.....
Could my dogs perform adequately in those conditions???? Probably about as good as most others I've seen in extreme conditions. The very rare hound can do it on a regular basis.Many others look okay sometimes and terrible sometimes and then there's those you didn't need to bother taking out of the kennel.
If you want to be successful in trialing I'm convinced that you need to breed to fit the format you want to attend. I've heard it said a hundred times that a good dog should be able to win anywhere.I don't believe that for one minute!!
Just like mybeagles stated they've broken down S.P.O. to five different speeds and if your hound "doesn't fit" well good luck with that........
And it's been known and spoken about for years the difference in what the judges want to see out of hounds trialing in Maine and at the New York Large Pack clubs............
Kind of like having a 13 3/4" beagle [a tweener if you will]. Too big for the little hounds and too little for the big dogs. Too slow/conservative here and too fast aggressive for there.
I guess I've got it easy as my beagles just have to satisfy me as to producing rabbits for the gun and music to listen to during the running season.
I'm a line breeder so my dogs maintain a good consistency which makes for a nice compatible/smooth pack.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

As anyone that has ran hounds with me knows, my hounds are not fast, just accurately quick.
There are plenty that had seen Bonnie run, by no means was she a windsplitter!
She was quick but rarely a front running hound in the trials, she excelled at her ability to snap back to a check quickly when the speedsters overran, pick that check and be gone with it until the speedsters passed her up again and caused another check. She had a knack for knowing where that check was and the direction to take it in and run with accurate line control.
She wasn't over competive neither, just stayed with the pack and cleaned up many checks.
Was she perfect, absolutely not, however she was extremely consistent day in/day out and that is what I breed for and like in a hound.
I like a hound that accurately runs as fast as their abilities allow, no more, no less.
The conditions these young hounds caught the rabbits in this past weekend didn't allow the hounds to be fast. They were relentless and consistent on the track which allowed them to overtake the rabbits.
Also, they are pack mates that run together several times/week. They may end up looking like sh*t in the trials when they don't have their pack mates there working with them as a team.
Not looking to get into a pissing contest here guys, just happy with how these hounds are doing at such a young age.
Last edited by Swampman on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

No reason for anyone to get worked up with you. Sounds like you have exactly what I’m looking for. If they don’t like it that’s tough. I don’t like most of what I see judging so I just move on.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I do consider mine "run to catch" style, they just do it with line control and close check work on most days.
In my opinion, there is a distinct difference between this kind of hound and rough, swinging fast hounds.
I don't want to put words in Shady's mouth, but I believe this is what he is trying to say as well?

I don't care for many I see in the trials neither, but I still like to go and let my hounds compete when they are mature, in shape and I have time.

Dan, you are correct, however on my left hand! ;)

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I don't care for many I see in the trials neither, but I still like to go and let my hounds compete when they are mature, in shape and I have time.
Absolutely, I enjoy judging as well. Not always impressed but when I see that shining star in the crowd every now and then it’s all worth it.

I’m in rebuilding phase, just a 3 y/o and some pups. This summers crop of pups (4) didn’t make the cut. I won’t be going over seas again so i can start putting something together here at Rose City Beagles. May have to get a pup from you and Shady Grove if I can get enough coin saved.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Shady Grove Beagles

mybeagles
Someone told me they thought you were a military chaplain.
If that's so, then thank you for your ministry.
God Bless.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

Not a chaplain. Have had many opportunities to share my faith during some challenging situations. Proud to have served, I will enjoy these last couple years as a trainer looking back on a lifetime of adventures.
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

BMBeagles

Post by BMBeagles »

Mybeagles Thankyou for your service !

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

My beagles I have certainly been impressed with my pup from Shady Grove (Dana) he will be 1 year old in a couple of weeks, been running since around 7/7.5 months old. Thank you for your service, James Best.

Shady Grove Beagles

This post has had a good run and I've thoroughly enjoyed the discussions/in-put.
In the 22 years since I moved here to Tennessee from New Hampshire I've always maintained that the very best rabbit running with good long,hard,on and on races were when the gun season ended.
From my experience I'd say from the 1'st of March to the middle of April is just about the best running of the year. It comes as no surprise that this coincides with the onset of breeding season and the buck rabbits are out and about traveling. You've all heard the expression"wild as a March hare"?
Our gun season ended two days ago.Someone should have told my dogs.
Running on the R.R. tracks today and got to see the rabbits multiple times and watch the dog work too.Had one particular rabbit that they pushed hard for 1hr.20mins. and they caught him.Yes,a buck. I wasn't close enough to get it away from them so more tape worm meds. will be in order.
A rabbit is either going to have to lose them or hide/take refuge from them. He isn't going to out run or out last them.

Hey Rowdy. Would love to get together there in Wisconsin with you and Dan one of these days and turn em loose!!!

Shady Grove Beagles

Last weekend of our gun season.Had a great weekend with my good friend Peter Burns [Puckett Creek Beagles] over in middle Tn.
Pete has some good connections in his area and quite a bit of private land to hunt on. Pete is the only rabbit hunter to hunt these spots and there's always a good population.
The days were really too warm for comfortable rabbit hunting but the dogs didn't seem to mind. They had a ton of rain and there was a lot of standing water in the lower areas.We had several cotton tails swim the ponds but the beagles swam too and stayed after them.
This is a spot Pete hunts only once a year and we were looking for some rabbits for the freezer so we both shot our limit.
Hope you all have had an enjoyable hunting season and have some hounds that you really are liking.
Attachments
dana and pete 75%.jpg
dana and pete 75%.jpg (75.6 KiB) Viewed 356421 times

Shady Grove Beagles

As I've always maintained I think some of the best running here in Tn. is March through early April.
Today was no exception as the girls ran several as if they were looking at em the entire time.Must have been buck rabbits as they were running big and wide. The way these cotton tails were running today would compare to many of the hare or swamp rabbit races I've experienced.
Baby rabbits are on the ground here in Tn. Saw two that weren't much bigger than my fist.Caught the dogs off as I don't want them catching them. They're this year's races !

Shady Grove Beagles

Took a couple of the beagles out to run this morning.
Took a RUN AND look at my CATCH !
A little different "Run and Catch" but I'll take them.Awful good sauteed in garlic and butter or battered and fried.
How do you like your Morels?
Attachments
Morels 2.jpg
Morels 2.jpg (107.46 KiB) Viewed 355959 times