Time to move on, training area.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

513Moogie

Time to move on, training area.

Post by 513Moogie »

Well after 15 yrs. I have to find another training area do to a incident with dog walkers on two occasions. A couple had two house dogs and one was quite old and came up to my one yr. olds twice and got right their face and growled at them and ran.. Both times my dogs got after their dog and the second time all hell broke loose as mine were jumping up to get at their dog after it was picked up. The fella was trying to kick my dogs and they dodged each kick with ease and I jumped in front of him and grabbed my dogs. He stomped off madder then hell but she seemed OK with it. A week later the dog warden wants to see my dog licenses for each dog or purchase them and provide the numbers for each x 4 saying it was a routine check. He shows up and says he's got something else to discuss saying that my dogs were accused of attacking their dog, that they were aggressive and the owner was bitten which was false. I told him my story and that I thought it was against dog rules for them to go right to another dogs nose and growl and run. I think their dog had vision problems. To make things worse the mini airplane field administrator doesn't want me near the airport on their grass and has planned on having me arrested for trespassing. I told the warden I knew I was on borrowed time after 15 yrs. of running in a city park, the care taker would leave the gate unlocked for me after hours, great guy. With a fine for no dog license I shelled out 120 dollars, licked my wounds and move on. I sit here typing this because I need a place to run the kids. There are a couple of public hunting areas in the area that may be OK but I shy away from them. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'd join any club if need be. I'm located in Hamilton Oh, 45013 northwest of Cincinnati, Oh.

Rabbit/Hareman123

Re: Time to move on, training area.

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

I pray that some of the guys in your area steps up and help, we hunters need to stick together, i hate it when we are picked on and singled out.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Sorry to hear of your troubles, reminds me of situations I have run into. A couple of places I run are full of "dog walkers" I think some of the time the dogs have more brains then the owners. The owners love coming to the game area's because they think it's alright to run there dogs off leash. Sometimes there dogs are not social enough for the dog parks yet they take no precautions to keep there dogs from encountering the beagles. More often then not they play dumb and say they don't know what got into there dog or another lame excuse yet usually it seems that they've gone out of there way to find you. Never understood why they need to beeline to a pack of barking dogs. I am lucky and have a fair amount of places to go but I am always on guard because you never know when trouble is coming, hope you find some new places and with luck they may even work out for the better.

adirondackjoe

Post by adirondackjoe »

I'm lucky. I run in the Adirondacks and there's 3 million acres of state land. I always have a place to run

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Here in Tn. I'm fortunate that I have quite a few places to run the hounds year round but much fewer places to gun them.Have a lot of state land fairly close by and the running is always pretty good there until after season opens .Then they get pounded pretty hard and it seems every body wants to kill every rabbit they can.
The private land I have permission to gun on I don't like to kill many as then they aren't there to run anymore and I'm much more in to running them than killing them.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

Yep getting harder all the time, I guess if we didn't love these little dogs we would've give it a long time ago.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Here in Ga. they seem to keep the deer season open longer and longer each year,, Now days we have less that 60 days that we can gun hunt, when they Out Of the Woods.

I have lost lots of my running grounds to Chicken Houses, they building them lost bigger, and 10 to 12 at a time. Never seen so many all in my area, over 50 house in a few miles ride, to my Church location..

I think in a few years will have only 28 day of Feb. to gun hunt ~

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

BMBeagles

Post by BMBeagles »

I feel your pain ! Iam currently driving 60mi one way to run dogs on Saturday and Sunday. That will change for me soon but i been doing it for awhile now . Places to run are scarce these days . I dont even ask for permisson anymore from land owners I just run on state game lands