Taxidermist

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TVE1998

Taxidermist

Post by TVE1998 »

Does anyone know or would recommend a taxidermist who will do a hare?? Just got a nice white one on a weekend trip to northern new York, but no one back in Pennsylvania will do them. Would be willing to ship it. Any information would be much appreciated.

reddog1

Re: Taxidermist

Post by reddog1 »

Because rabbit and hare have very thin skin that tears easy, they have to be freeze dried into the position you want to have it mounted. The process takes some time as it has to be done slowly. I saw a mounted hare that was freeze dried and it looked good.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

There is a gentleman in Elkins WV that will do them...I am confident you can google it and find him.

Good luck!

You have the young male by FCLP Shooters Page 2 with you on the trip? take care!

TVE1998

Post by TVE1998 »

Thanks for the replies. I did have my male from shooters page 2. He had one ruff day primarily because he had never ran with other dogs other than my female. A large pack was a bit intimidating and my female was in heat so had to stay home. I managed to be close to the first jump the next day and he never looked back, was leading the pack at times and heard him pick up several checks, which really seems to be becoming a strong point for him. We only shot 3 yesterday, but ran all day. Dogs averaged about 12 miles on the Garmin.

mjd

Post by mjd »

Remmy

Post by Remmy »

TVE1998 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:30 pm
Thanks for the replies. I did have my male from shooters page 2. He had one ruff day primarily because he had never ran with other dogs other than my female. A large pack was a bit intimidating and my female was in heat so had to stay home. I managed to be close to the first jump the next day and he never looked back, was leading the pack at times and heard him pick up several checks, which really seems to be becoming a strong point for him. We only shot 3 yesterday, but ran all day. Dogs averaged about 12 miles on the Garmin.
Ha. My female out of Sammy is a check dog deluxe too.

I love hare hunting the Adirondacks too.
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

Glad to hear Copper is turning into a nice hound Paul. I probably let his litter mate sister go too soon. I have let 4 young hounds go over the last 2 years and she is the one I feel may have been a mistake. I am very picky with the hounds I keep, but I probably did not give her enough time to mature to where she could show more of her potential. There were some things about her I liked and others I was not satisfied enough with that could have improved with more experience. She was still quite young though and some just take a little longer than others. A little mouthiness in the kennel and stubbornness in correction of that influenced my decision also, I'm sure. Might have been a mistake giving up too soon and my impatience most likely benefited her new owner. Copper is definitely built more like Sammy than his dam from the pictures I have seen. Very good sized and well built male. Good luck with him!!! A nice sized white hare should make a beautiful mount if you can find someone to do a good job. Hope it works out for you.

TVE1998

Post by TVE1998 »

THANKS AGAIN JEFF FOR GIVING ME THE OPPURTUNITY TO OWN COPPER. HE'S NOT PERFECT, BUT I LIKE WHAT I SEE FROM HIM. HE DOES HAVE A TENDANCY TO LOOSE HIS ATTENTION TO HUNTING AFTER A WHILE WHEN NOTHING IS JUMPED, BUT ONCE HE GETS A SNIFF OF ONE HE'S A DIFFERENT DOG AND STAYS BUSY, JUST BURNS ME A LITTLE WHEN A DOG IS NOT HUNTING. I JUST HAVE TO REMIND MYSELF HE IS STILL YOUNG. HE STILL KEEPS PROGRESSING EVERYTIME OUT, SHOWS GOOD NOSE, AND TRACKING SKILLS. HE WAS A LITTLE MOUTHY IN THE KENNEL, BUT A BUCKET OF WATER OVER THE HEAD CURED THAT QUICKLY. HE'S ALSO THE MOST PROTECTIVE BEAGLE I HAVE EVER OWNED, HALF HIS PROBLEM GETTING HIM PACKED UP WITH THE OTHER DOGS THE FIRST DAY WAS WHEN ANY OF THEM CAME NEAR ME HE WENT AFTER THEM. I NEVER SEEN ANY AGGRESSION OUT OF THIS DOG BEFORE THIS POINT. MY FAULT FOR NEVER PUTTING HIM WITH ANY NEW DOGS I GUESS.

THANKS AGAIN

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

More than happy that you have him and are satisfied Paul. His dam could occasionally get a little nasty with a strange dog, especially if they sniffed or licked her rear, but normally wasn't real aggressive. Hopefully he will get over it with more exposure to other hounds. Good to hear about his progress from you. Take care!

John Way

Post by John Way »

Contact Buck Shot Taxidermy in Beemerville , NJ. Shop is close to PA border. Mark did a hare for me couple yrs ago. Excellent job. He did skin mine and fit over a body. Did say he would prob only freeze dry future rabbits. I’ll try and post a pic.

TVE1998

Post by TVE1998 »

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES. GOING TO TRY A GUY OUT OF WILLIAMSPORT PA. HE DOES FREEZE DRYING AND HAD GOOD REVIEWS. ALSO ONLY ABOUT 1.5 HOURS AWAY IF I NEED TO PICK IT UP.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

TVE1998 wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:52 am
Does anyone know or would recommend a taxidermist who will do a hare?? Just got a nice white one on a weekend trip to northern new York, but no one back in Pennsylvania will do them. Would be willing to ship it. Any information would be much appreciated.
Did you find it odd to harvest a "white" hare so early in the season?

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

[/quote]
Did you find it odd to harvest a "white" hare so early in the season?
[/quote]

That's not that strange. Hare will begin turning white in late October. I'm guessing this hare was not as fulll white as it would be in late Dec. or early January. Also, hare do not all turn white at the same time. Some turn earlier than others. Same thing when they turn back brown in the spring. Hare are very vulnerable during the changing of seasons. It also can make some pretty rough running dogs for the type that pick up their heads in a check.

I usually won't run much in our club grounds when the hare are turning white and there is no snow on the ground. Hare in an enclosure do not run as far out in front of the dogs as they do in the wild. Once a dog has seen a few bust out of a thicket while in the midst of a check some nasty habits that are virtually incurable can easily be developed.

TVE1998

Post by TVE1998 »

The group I go with has been going around the same time about 10 years now. Usually only get one that's mostly white this time of the year. Mine had a little Brown on the nose is all, the rest had a little white creeping up there sides, but mostly Brown.

TVE1998

Post by TVE1998 »

Picture of white one.
Attachments
KIMG0217.jpg
KIMG0217.jpg (199.7 KiB) Viewed 8770 times