pressure on a rabbit

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

vincentg781

pressure on a rabbit

Post by vincentg781 »

hi guys I belong to a beagle club and all I hear about is too much pressure on a rabbit from running too many dogs on it . I do not agree with this could someone set me straight on this I thought the rabbit liked to be run as much as hounds like to run it

Remmy

Re: pressure on a rabbit

Post by Remmy »

I don't think the rabbit likes to run. It is being chased by something that wants to eat it.
Home of:
Emerick's Shoot em up Blue Nellie
Emerick's Thicket Chirpin Cricket
Coal Hill's Queen of Hearts
Remmy
Winnie

Director Presque Isle Beagle Club

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Read the "Run To Catch" posting on here. Don't know what "too much pressure " is.
Over the past 50 years I've run hounds on most game chaseable and I ALWAYS want a hound to be putting pressure on it's game.
Constant pressure is what puts rabbits in the sack and game up a tree.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

May be dealing with a wolf in sheeps clothing here guys. Members of his own "supposed" club ought to be able to answer his questions.

John Way

Post by John Way »

I’m thinking they are specifically alluding to rabbits on the beagle club grounds ??? Perhaps thinking , to many hounds putting to much pressure on them to often is gonna be detrimental to the population. Especially in the nesting season. ?? Otherwise during a pursuit, putting relentless hound pressure on your quarry is what its all about.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

In beagle clubs where they run slow dogs they prefer the rabbits to be calm and hop away slowly when pursued by hounds. Rabbits that get pressured by faster hounds tend to sprint away and go longer distances. This is problematic for slow hounds as the tracks tend to get cold leading to lost rabbit.

The big difference is dogs that follow a rabbit versus dogs that try to overtake it. Bottom line... if you have faster dogs than the club you belong to there is going to be conflict.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Good answer mybeagles
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch