Can't unload your gun early nowadays....be safe...not sorry.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BCBeagles

Can't unload your gun early nowadays....be safe...not sorry.

Post by BCBeagles »

Had a great hunt Tuesday in a new area with a Coworker of my brothers...could not have had better weather, safe hunting, and nice running from the hounds.

Long story short....on our way out of the woods....ON property we had permission to be on....some real high end folks rent a trailer on the edge of this property we finish on.

They completely flip out on us and the dogs...one guy in particular....threatened to kill all our dogs...called us everything but a sewing machine...

Started to come to us in the woods off of the edge of the yard....I believe they thought better of it when they realized there was three of us with guns...

We did not provoke this, nor start yelling back as to not escalate the intensity.

The moral of the story is.....I had, as I always do when leaving the woods, unloaded my gun for safety reasons. I normally completely empty the tube as well.

I WON'T be doing that anymore...sad to say, but with the nut job dope heads at every turn....it's just not safe...

Had that idiot rushed us with a gun....I would have been standing there with shotgun and shells in my vest.....not anymore....shells will stay in the tube until completely away from potential issues...

Shame it has come to this, but if that nut case would have decided to charge us.....I would have defended myself....

I am going to talk with a Conservation officer friend to see what applies to us, the hunters, as it seems nowadays we are not viewed as we once were.

Hoping this can help someone out....maybe even save a life...in today's world you never know.

Happy Holidays to all and safe hunting!!

brewer69kennels

Re: Can't unload your gun early nowadays....be safe...not sorry.

Post by brewer69kennels »

Hello Jim
Drop the shotgun and pull that Keltec, I think that would resolve the issue, You are so right, hunters even when in the right are frowned upon these days sadly, had a man threaten to shot our beagles one time while running on land we had permission to hunt on, said my beagles had killed his goats the week before, funny thing is we did not even hunt the area the week before. That being said Merry Christmas to you and yours, and we sure hope to make it down to run with you again before the season ends.

rnbrunton

Post by rnbrunton »

Good post,keep us updated.I always have a carry gun on my waist even while shot gunning.
Red AKC Gundogs Just one more chase.RNB Eastview Tomahawk Chief 1996-2006

BMBeagles

Post by BMBeagles »

Hard to get a game warden or sherriff to do anything in a situation like that . Ive tried that ! I think if you were forced into defending yourself these days you would have to prove your innocence in court which would be costly and you would probably still get hit with some kind of lawsuit ! Lots of Attorneys At Large out there ! Lol

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

I agree.....shame it has all come to that.

I am doing more research on it....thru a conservation officer...I would like to know my rights in defense if this does happen again or a more extreme version of this.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

rnbrunton wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:49 pm
Good post,keep us updated.I always have a carry gun on my waist even while shot gunning.
Yep, my Ruger Redhawk .44 mag goes with me at all times when afield.

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Cell phone video will work wonders in this day and age. I n Michigan that would be considered hunter harrasment . Punishable by fines and jail time

513Moogie

Post by 513Moogie »

If you have to use your weapon in self defense and are a member of the association dedicated to gun owners, they will provide a lawyer free of charge. Not a bad deal for the price of membership if you think you'll need it. I would record my way out like the man said. Be safe.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Had a very similar incident many years ago but it was more EXTREME version. It's a long story but basically a friend, his son and another guy were deer hunting with muzzle loaders, property we hard permission to hunt and had hunted before. A young guy from an adjacent property started shooting from his property through the woods we were hunting as my friends son and I were walking out of the woods. I could hear the rounds going through the woods so I got the friends son into a ditch for cover. We ALL finally got out of the woods to the road and that is where it got nasty. I suspect the young guy was in his early 20ies and got a surprise when he drove towards us. We stopped him in the road and showed him what looking down the end of a gun looked like X 4. Thought that may give him an eye opener so he left. We talked about it for awhile and then left and as we got onto a paved road a truck was speeding behind us honking the horn and acting like he was gonna run us off the road. The young guy evidently went home and told his granddad some BS story and now he was hot after our two trucks. We stopped after about a quarter mile of his tailgating us and got out as he did. We met in the middle of the road and he went off on my friend and I about threatening his grandson. My friend told him in no uncertain words about his stupid grandson and this guy doubled up his fist and let him have it in the face. I told the guy he wasn't very smart either with four of us and all with guns and the idiot took a swing am me. I hauled off and let him have it and he dropped to the pavement and busted his head open like a pumpkin. Another car had came up from the other way as the other guy in the truck with us had flagged them through and they knew this guy as he was bleeding all over. We told them we didn't know him but he attacked us and got what he came after. We left him with them and called the local game warden as we went straight to the prosecuting attorney's office in the town my friend lived in as he knew them both.

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

It's a shame some in our society feel they can try to bully or intimidate with the threat of violence anyone who doesn't share the same beliefs as them. It's a crazy time we live in and we must realize that there are unstable people out there who I believe have become more emboldened by today's media and the political atmosphere to feel justified in using such tactics. That said, I would see if some pressure couldn't be applied on the landlord of those people, through legal means, by suggestion of possible future legal culpability of the landlord if something further happens once he has been made aware of their tendency towards violence and intimidation. Maybe the landlord would consider evicting them for their behavior. Anyway Jim, I would be very cautious of those people and not trust that they wouldn't try and harm your dogs if you hunt there in the future. It is not beneath people like that to set traps or put out poison and then try and claim they knew nothing about it once a hound is injured or killed. Good luck and be careful!
Last edited by SNOWDOGS1 on Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Most of these days we all carry phones with video capabilities. Were I accosted I would immediately pull out the phone and start the video recording. Quickly eliminates the he said she said stuff with first hand facts to show local law enforcement. That being said, my other hand would be resting on a peacemaker in the event it became necessary to step up the game.

Butch

Post by Butch »

Jim, I still would unload your guns when walking out of the brush. Ive heard of too many people getting killed when walking out of the woods single file with loaded guns. Just keep the shells easy to get at when you need them. Merry Christmas

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

You are correct Butch....I will keep them in the tube...not the chamber...just have them ready if needed.

Same to you...Happy Holidays!

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

What sad words at Christmas time. Have any of you ever shot or killed another human being? My advice is to deescalate the situation, not add to it. It's been along time since Jim Lane was disarming men with his bare hands, but it would be a better option than a shoot-out at the OK corral as your all suggesting.
Children with dead parents and others who parents are sitting in jail awaiting manslaughter or a trial result is a poor choice on Christmas morn. But I'm sure mother would explain to the children as they open presents, it all just a part of rabbit hunting.
One time up on Drummond we had boys shooting pistols over our heads. While it was a scary stunt, they didn't seem to realize shooting at a hare with pistols into the rock surface sent the shot on into the woods below where we were standing.
Merry Christmas to all...