Coccidia

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Slaux

Coccidia

Post by Slaux »

Hi All. Just looking for some advice. I had a litter of GSD pups recently and sold some of them this weekend. One of the pups came down ill last night and ended up testing positive. They are 7 weeks old and he is rebounding. His litter mates so far haven't shown any signs. I have the others on a Amprolium drench right now as a precaution that I have at home. This past spring I ended up getting chickens, turkeys and ducks as I had them growing up and knew my kids would enjoy raising them. I was always had trepidation over doing it though as I always worried about C with poultry. We are also feeding wild turkeys in the yard. I had C once yeas ago in a an outside bitch I had gotten for breeding. Lost most of her pups shortly after birth. It was insidious and I only saved two. That was over 30 years ago and knock on wood I haven't had it again (to my knowledge).

Question: I ordered the Amprolium as a precaution ahead of time as I was paranoid I might get it thru the birds. I know guys years ago have given their pups a dose of Albon prior to sending them out as a precaution as well. Biosol is also another good medicine for C and a host of other intestinal parasites. This past summer I tried ordering both Albon and Biosol. I couldn't get Albon shipped to Michigan and Biosol appears to be discontinued. What have been your experience with these med's. Is Amprolium as effect as Albon or Biosol, and is there a source to get the other two. Thanks for any replies....Steve

SNOWDOGS1

Re: Coccidia

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

I had 2 pups that I had shipped in come with coccidiosis. I had prescription meds from my vet for the pups, but one of my adult dogs got it. Obviously an adult dog can tolerate it better than a small pup. I used Amprolium (Corid) on him and my other dogs as a precaution. I had no problems after that, so apparently it worked. I have also, as a precaution, used sulfa med on adult hounds and that seemed to be fine also. I believe you can get Albon through Jeffers pet. It says they can't ship to Ca., but nothing about Mich. There is also a write up about a preventative for pups called Toltrazuril under Beagle Health on this site. It is under Coccidia one time dose. Might be worth looking into for future litters. Coccidiosis in pups is life threatening as you know. Anything that could prevent it is worth checking out especially if the pups are around fowl. Certainly a preventative is better than an irate owner of a new pup that showed up to his kennel with this problem. Good luck! If you can find the Toltrazuril and try it in the future, let us know if you think it is a good product. Take care.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Thanks for the reply Snowdogs. Corid / Amprolium is what I'm giving them now. From what I am reading it is not as fact acting as say Albon. I'll shop Jeffers again. Have been using them lately and really like them for service and fair prices. I never had this happen before with pups that left here. To say the least It is embarrassing. I keep my kennel ultra clean, but I guess it happens. My pups at home are fine but one other pup I sent out came down with it again yesterday. She turned right around when brought to the vet and given med's. Any other advice out there is appreciated.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Snowdogs, I did a lot of research. Jeffers is the only place I could find where you can get ALbon w/out an Rx. It appears they only sell the Albon Calf Bolus, 5g. I assume it is the same as all the rest, just listed for calves. Have you, or anyone reading this used this type of Albon, and if so, how did you administer it. My order is in, so I'll fly with it when it gets here. I've never used a "bolus" and really don't know what to expect, ( I assume it is in pill form), but don't know. Thanks for any replies.

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

I have never used it, sorry. I also assume it is in pill or capsule form. If you can find a dosage per body weight equivalent for Albon for canines, you are in business. Good luck, hope someone else on here can help with dosage.

SNOWDOGS1

Post by SNOWDOGS1 »

Found a site that says the 5% Albon should be administered in a initial dose of 25mg/ lb followed by subsequent 12.5mg/lb every 24 hrs for dogs. 3-5 days of treatment should clear up the problem. I see it is sold as 5g dosage which is 5000mg. If pups are say 4lbs, then initial dose would be 100mg. It could be very difficult to extract 100mg out of a 5000mg pill/capsule properly unless you have a scale calibrated in mgs. Good luck. Hope this helps.

Slaux

Post by Slaux »

Just an FYI. I used the Corrid drench for a week with the pups I had at home. After a few days one pup was tested and was negative. The other two pups, one of which is now sold never came down with it either. Seems like it worked well. I will be using it as a precaution from now on before sending pups out. Thanks for the replys.

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

Google Sulfadimethoxine (trade name Albon). I hear vets charge upwards of $100 for a pint of Albon. You can buy a gallon generic Sulfadimethoxine for $60. I have a gallon of the generic sitting on top of my beer fridge. I did write up a diy dog meds sometime back, would you like me to post it?

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Yes how was it used ?

Also if Mr Slaux would be so kind as to let us know how he gave Corrid to his pups for a week at 7 weeks old, before shipping.

Yours In sports
D.R.~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

A " bolus " is a capsual shaped pill .For cattle they are generally a very large sized pill , which is ok for calves or cattle . I'd say you can figure to a close guestimate how to cut them into small pieces for a pup or dog . Years ago I bought Sulfadimethoxine from Lambert's Supply and had very good success with it.
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

This has been years ago, but I had to treat a litter of pups for it. I kept them all in the same kennel and made sure the only water they got had the Albon in it. It was a liquid that goes into the drinking water, but you have to make sure that it's the only drinking water they get. They drank it like they would any other water and it seemed to do the trick. I really had to stay after the kennel and sleeping box though - keep the feces cleaned up and sanitized. That's how it's spread, so if they have it on their paws and mingle with other dogs, or run all over the yard ...

I hear more stories of it being a problem in the summertime - a combination of the heat/humidity/feces, etc.

Brice McGlamery

Post by Brice McGlamery »

AFTER I WEAN MY PUPS AT 6 WEEKS OLD I GIVE THEM I 1/2 CC OF CORRID DOWN THE THROAT THE FIRST DAY AND 3/4 CC THE NEXT 5 DAYS AND YOU WILL NOT
HAVE ANY COCCIDIA AND I RAISE A LOT OF PUPS