rabbit fillets

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

steve w.

rabbit fillets

Post by steve w. »

I've recently started to cut the backstraps out of the rabbits I clean and save them up for a special dinner of "rabbit tenders". I've found my fillet knife works real well and cook them like you would a ckicken breast strip.I peel the outer layer of tough skin away so all you have is the tenderest part.You cut along the spine from the shoulder to the hip and end up with a nice chunk of very prime meat.I'm always looking for new ways to cook most anything and thought I'd pass this one along.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Steve, do you bread them and fry them like you would chicken? if so, how do you make your breading? Sounds like a good recipe for The American Beagler.

steve w.

Post by steve w. »

Yes Bev, just like chicken. Actually tonight I had them in barbarque sauce.I have used frying magic and baked them too. Drakes works well too.Use it in your magazine if you like.

Bev
Site Admin

Post by Bev »

Thanks, Steve!

mobeagles

Post by mobeagles »

I also cut the loins out. Then you can take the rear legs and split them along the bone. With a little practice you can take all of the meat off of the bone in one piece. Then take a meat tenderizer and pound the meat until you have rather large thin pieces. This way you have something similiar to pork tenderloin. Don't have to worry about having a tough rabbit this way.

kidspot

Post by kidspot »

Ever try boiling the tougher cuts in pineapple juice (apple works too) for about 2 hours on a low simmer before frying - The acid breaks tough meat down great and leaves it with a slightly "sweet" flavor that BBQ sauce goes great with - I haven't tried it with rabbit, but it works great on tough venison and turns stew meat into roast you can cut with a fork . . . just my 2 cents worth.

Tim

steve w.

Post by steve w. »

Sounds like two tricks I'll be trying soon. Thanks mobeagles and kidspot.I'm familar with boning them legs, good way to get more blood out and clean out broken bone but never thought about pounding them. Bet you could do em' like chicken fried steak. Pineapple rabbit huh?

BlueJack

Post by BlueJack »

Hey guys, make sure you don't throw the grease or oil you fried them in away cause it makes the best gravy. MMMMM...fried rabbit...rabbit gravy...home made biscuits...MMMMM Now look what ya'll made me do, I gotta clean this drool off the keyboard.

Chuck Terry

Post by Chuck Terry »

Just finished up a platter of fried rabbit fillets. I did the tenderloin thing and also removed the leg bones like mobeagles suggested. Then cut out the tendons and cut it in uniform sized chunks. I did not do anything further to tender it - a little salt, pepper, and flour and a hot skillet of cooking oil was all it needed! It was GREAT but the biscuits and gravy were just as good! I have heard some good sounding recipes but I still have not found one to beat frying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!