Why always the sire?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Hare Chaser

Re: Why always the sire?

Post by Hare Chaser »

Ever notice that if the litter doesn't turn out good it's often declared the sire's fault?? To many people think you can take any old female to an advertised big name stud and get great pups. Then there are those that feel it's not all that important that their females be proven in the field as long as the pedigree is lined up with champions on both sides.

Rabbit/Hareman123

Post by Rabbit/Hareman123 »

Newt wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:44 am
Excellent post Mike P. Any new breeder should copy that post and read it prior to any mating. Too many matings are made due to the reputations of Trial hounds that lived decades ago.
X2,you nailed it Mike P.

BCBeagles

Post by BCBeagles »

If you aren't breeding for extreme quality from your hounds in the pen.....today...not 5 years ago....not 3 generations back....not hoping it will pop back up, as in a trait, you don't see now......

Then in my opinion you are wasting your time....quality in the field first.....alone...no help...they have to be able to perform....all tasks without many screwups.....if you aren't critical and see the weaknesses every hound possesses you are simply fooling yourself and setting yourself up to waste a bunch of time on mediocrity.

Failures come at a much higher rate than successes even when breeding hounds you are really satisfied with and have many of the traits to be extremely consistent in the field.....we just keep it real here and keep trying......

Newt

Post by Newt »

Hare Chaser wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:21 am
Ever notice that if the litter doesn't turn out good it's often declared the sire's fault?? To many people think you can take any old female to an advertised big name stud and get great pups. Then there are those that feel it's not all that important that their females be proven in the field as long as the pedigree is lined up with champions on both sides.

If they had watched that Stud in the field, in conditions in which they are expected to perform, they probably shouldn't be surprised.
I took a buddy to a field trial a few years ago and the performance was disappointing. Not one rabbit was circled that day. Rabbit after rabbit was jumped by the gallery, but each time the rabbit turned the dogs kept going straight. Loss after loss!
I thought that he had learned his lesson but he believed internet hype more than his "lying " eyes. His hunting buddies gave him hell every time he took those dogs hunting.

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

I have 2 females, your welcome to watch them in the field. Looking for a great stud dog, that has all the tools. It will only cost you $1000 to breed your stud to each of my females. If they don’t turn out I will take the heat for it. You can blame my females.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)