New beagle here

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

JD2s Sammi Jane

New beagle here

Post by JD2s Sammi Jane »

I am a proud beagle owner for the first time ever! My dog is 22 months old and I just recently started running her in ARHA little pack trials. She's doing well considering I know nothing about beagles. Lol . Her first trial she scored 100 points and finished 7th on the day. Her second trial the rabbits didn't seem to be there and she scored 55 points and finished tied for 7th. She amazes me every time I take her out and I am really anxious to see where our path is headed. Her sire is Hawgzilla, anyone on here know anything about him?

BCBeagles

Re: New beagle here

Post by BCBeagles »

Glad to hear your enthusiasm for your hound! Hope you have much success and enjoy the trials you enter!

I will say....this board...the American beagler is on the brink of being a complete wash....but still a few good folks and a way to connect to something we enjoy...the dogs.

Take care and good running to you!!

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey Jim
I've been thinking for quite a while that postings and discussion here have really tapered off.Now you say it's almost a complete wash.
Where have all the beaglers gone? I for one have enjoyed this board and the dog talk.
I don't belong to any beagle clubs,hardly ever go to a field trial anymore [ I think 4 in the past 10 years ] and basically hunt/run by myself. The exceptions being a couple of times during gun season my son will make it down to hunt with me or when I make the trip north to hunt hare with two long time friends.
This has been my source for a beagle fix and I hate to see it disappear.
JD2s Sammi Jane. Welcome to beagles and rabbit hunting and good luck with your hound.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Little Hawk

Post by Little Hawk »

I think a lot of them have gone to the Facebook groups there’s a bunch of them on Facebook, I’ve saw several in those groups that have posted on here in the past.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Shady Grove, So glad that you keep posting some Good Information and post very good Good Gun Hunting information.. I been on this one for a good many years, and I will always come check in to see what you have going on, Always have lots or respect for your Knowledge of a Good Gun Dog!!

Say, Congratulation on your Little Pack young hound, hang in there as that pup gains more experience y will Be Proud of her, might get yourself and the pup, on the Front Cover of the Rabbit Hunter Mag. one day soon..

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

JD2s Sammi Jane

Post by JD2s Sammi Jane »

Thanks all! I was very excited to finally get approved for this forum and now hear it is not a heavy traffic area. I never did mention that my dog, Sammi, was bought purely for the purpose of being my hunting buddy that ran rabbits. Boy can she ever do that! Ran her first one to the gun at the age of 4 months, finished her first season with 19 total to the gun at the ripe old age of 8 months. At the completion of her second season she had tallied 31 rabbits ran to the gun for a 2 season total of 50

John Way

Post by John Way »

Nice going JD. I’m excited for you. Be careful , it can become addictive.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Say, Mr. John Way has just given you some very Good Free Advise!

Boy did I ever get that ARHA/NKC Bug! I was young back there in the mid-1990's when the Progressive Pack was just started up, my gun dogs was not Fast or Rougher enough for the L.P. trials but I had no choice, but run them and finally did make just one (1) l.P.Field Champion. It was at the Georgia State L.P. Trial when my little female, D.R.'s Cry Baby in the Winners Pack, managed to get those Big Fast hounds in a huge Ga. Brier patch! She got the Jump and the rabbit managed to stay in-side this 5 Acer patch, resulting in her first Win ! No Certification with the L.P.Hounds, was required, so I got my First Field Champion, boy was I Hooked so be careful, it may just happen to you also!

Here is wishing you continued Good Luck!

Keep Looking Up!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

ericwaddle3

Post by ericwaddle3 »

Keep us posted on how she does this summer.
Waddle’s Crankin Ada
Waddle’s Crankin Ratchet
Waddle’s Crankin Bella
R.I.P
FCGD GRPCH WOLDPCH PPRCH Show Me's Crank
PCH Waddle’s Jazzmanian Devil
Waddle's Blooming Pixie

warddog

Post by warddog »

Welcome to the board. There are some pretty knowledgeable people on this board with years of beagling experience. Many have years of hunting experience where it is actually what beagling is about. Trialing of them is usually secondary rather than the primary reason for them to have beagles. Some of us grew up with beagles being part of our families means of putting meat on the table and that was the judge of whether we kept one and not a score card. We didn't have the money to buy and feed anything that didn't pay for itself so trailing was not even known to most back then. Good luck with your new beagle.

Bowguy

Post by Bowguy »

Glad the dog suits ya. Op I sent you a pm