Summer feed

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Casey Harner

Re: Summer feed

Post by Casey Harner »

Keeping fresh water is the key.
Isaiah 53:5
Philippians 3:13-14

RIP Harner's Briar Bashin' Blaze

Coal Run Jody
Harner’s Bush Whacker

Speed is fine, accuracy is final.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

[/quote]
I personally don't think hare beagles live as long as cottontail beagles. It's not genetic it is environmental. I'll leave it at that.
[/quote]

Guess from my experience I'd have to disagree with that statement. My experience says the majority of longevity depends on the environment the owner creates for the hound to live in and has nothing to do with "hare beagles" vs. "cottontail beagles" . That's my personal experience over the last 41 years. If you want hounds to live out a full life you learn to tend them and pay attention to their needs. They're not mechanical machines that get stored up when the gun season is off and payed attention to when the season starts up again. I live in hare country so speak only from that experience.

mybeagles

Post by mybeagles »

I feed Victor Nutra Pro. It’s a 38/18. Sometimes I get the Victor Ultra Pro that's 42/22. I supplement with raw meat and raw eggs that are straight protein.

My dogs always seem healthy and strong into old age.

I keep fresh water in front of them at all times including winter (heated water bowls). Plenty of exercise.

In 30 years owning hounds I’ve not had a hound with organ failure.

I guess we all come to our own conclusions based on our experiences. RAW diet is the best...70-80% protein. I feed the highest protein kibble I can find. If they made a 50% protein feed I would try it. If your feeding a grain based kibble you can cut the protein percentages in half because dogs only digest 30% of grain protein.
Rob’s Ranger Rabbit Hunter (Lefty)
Rose City Quad King’s
DogPatch Fly