best time to raise a litter

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: best time to raise a litter

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Thanks Dan
I was just sitting here and got to thinking. We've been doing this hound dog thing together for a long time haven't we? I think we must have met and started doing some hunting together and with Frank about 1978? You've got a better memory for those things than I do.
Very much looking forward to turning em loose on some hare up to your camp come October !
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Rabbithoundjb

Re: best time to raise a litter

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

March/April, September/October. Not so hot, not so cold. Sometimes that doesn't work out though because your female doesn't cooperate. I think Shady and I start, break and run our dogs similar except for the soloing. I just don't make time for that. I do run 2,3,4 dogs a lot but no soloing. I have experienced over the last 45 years that sooner or later they will get the chance to run a bunny by themselves and I'll see what they got but like Dana said at 1 year old I expect to hear them get jumps, checks and see them on the front some or again like he said they aren't what I'M looking for.