July pups

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

rick denny

July pups

Post by rick denny »

I have some pops due on July 14 or 15th their runs are outside and their house is inside my garage I have a big fan circulating in the garage temperatures have been in the 90s is there anything else that you can think of I could do besides taking the females in the house any suggestions would help These are my first crosses would like everything to turn out good thanks

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: July pups

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Get some empty 2 liter soda bottles.Fill them with water and freeze them.Put the frozen bottles in with them.If you have a half dozen or so you can just rotate them as they melt.This will help some. Have put bags of ice in my dog boxes when hauling in hot weather. Makes a difference.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

rick denny

Post by rick denny »

Thanks for the reply I’m sure there’s guys on here that had pups in July and August when it is this hot did any of you guys have any issues or problems thanks

westbreeze

Post by westbreeze »

I just had a litter the 1st part of June. The frozen soda bottles work well on those 90 degree days. Dog house is big enough they can crawl away if they want or lay up against in heat of day. Good luck with yours.

HatterasBob

Post by HatterasBob »

The issue is not the temp outside, but the temp inside the dog house, but you knew that. Get a thermometer with an outside sensor. Drill a hole and place the sensor inside the house. This works until the mother sees it and chews the head off the snake (sensor). I believe the dogs normal temp is in the very low 100s. Pups can not make their own heat for the first 3 days (yea, it not important here). In this case it's overheating. Cut vents in your box, the first solution. Years ago I was trialing with a Saturn sedan with a home made wooden (an insulator) dog box in the trunk. Of course I could fold the back seat down and AC the trunk, but I purchased a couple of 12 volts fans like the back of PCs and cut a 4" hole to increase the circulation in the box. They were cheap and worked great. I have a window AC unit and heater in my garage, that's what I use. Piece of cake, winter or summer.

S.R.Patch

Post by S.R.Patch »

Here is link to when my Lucy bitch had her puppies on a hot June day. It's a lot of old fashion logic that my not be applicable today, but those puppies as a whole turned out some of the best I've had.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69686&p=435315&hil ... ox#p435315

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Rick,
As other have stated, letting the heat out of the box and air circulation are key.
If your boxes have hinged lids, I would suggest opening them and placing a steel grate or a framed fence so to speak over the opening to let the heat inside the box escape (heat rises) yet keep the female in. Open all windows in the garage and run a fan in one of the windows to draw the heat out which will cause cross ventilation pulling fresh air in through the other windows.
Good luck with your litter.