Gone With the Wind

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Shady Grove Beagles

Re: Gone With the Wind

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Amen Daddy Rabbit. There's a group of trialers around here that refer to their hounds as "medium speed".
I've seen em run and there's no other way to say it--they are just plain slow.If the shoe fits................
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Rabbithoundjb

Post by Rabbithoundjb »

I hear ya, Daddy Rabbit. I have a buddy that bought 3 Black creeks a few months ago and he said the same thing basically. He told me that they ran real good but didn't have the hunt he was hoping for and where just too slow. He runs a 13" what I would call a medium speed dog. He is definitely a dog man so he knows what a dog is.

warddog

Post by warddog »

Aubrey Holcombe wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:08 am
Hay, I was on the Rabbitdog web sight, for a long time, one day someone ask me what I Thought about the Black Creeks, I owned one, myself and he made a Field Champion, in the P.P. progressive Pack, division.. Then he had to run in the Champion Class, he never did get another First place?

So when I was ask what I thought, I said They, named them Black Creeks , wrong !! I was Calling them,, BACK Creeks, in other words, my Long Red Train,, left them Back there at the creek !!

They Banned me from that web sight? So there you go, have to tell it like it was !!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
[/quote

YEP, when E.F. Hutton speaks folks stop and listen. Why? EXPERIANCE which comes from years of actual hunting field time.

Newt

Post by Newt »

It appears when a person has a lot of experience and a lot of knowledge it makes some people nervous and insecure. There once was a beagler from North Carolina, Old Kickapoo, that had a wealth of knowledge of beagles, who was also banned. I never read anything written "Daddy Rabbit" or Old Kickapoo that was offensive. They just gave their opinion and experience usually with a bit of humor.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

A lot of folks don't want to hear the truth , most have their opinion of things and are to closed minded to listen to anothers thoughts or they know it all already . Ole DR would never say it if he hadn't lived it ! We would all learn something by soaking up some of these ole timers knowledge .
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Thanks Folks, and Friends for your King Words. I am near 80, and still running and breeding my old Stock of Gun Dogs, can't walk very well any more but have two Kuboto's 4x4's a 900 ATV and a 1100 RTV with cab heating and Air. use these two for Gun Hunting. Have Solid Rubber Mud Grips on the 900 those things weigh 150 pounds each, so that extra, will get you stuck in a Swamp !! Did that first time out after putting them on.

Have a Mule 4x4 that I sue to go back and forth to my Kennels, they way down on a big creek where it's cool, for the young pups and mothers

Live and Lurn, think I have lurn something everyday, of my live !

keep Looking Up!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Bowguy

Post by Bowguy »

Guys we can all feed what we like but to say medium speed type dogs are slow, maybe you’re right if you run a faster type dog.
Now here’s the question and don’t fabricate fairy tales nor bring up one great day.
Many really fast dogs can’t possibly run a cottontail. The foot race a slower dog would lose. No question. Who’s smart enough to run only as fast as their nose? Some overcompetitive fast dog or the slower type dog that was third back in the pack til the first turn. The fast dogs ran straight a bit, let’s be honest it’s more than a bit, but the scent hound turned w the rabbit.
Who’s in first now? The ones on the track or the ones who went so fast they gotta make some big lazy s or stupid loop trying to refind the rabbit? Are you sure they’re barking the same one now cause it was below us and now some meathead is barking above us.
No pride in being a sloppy, inaccurate, scent hound. They should run as fast as their nose and conditions allow.
Talk about pressure for the “run to catch” super dogs. The term is great but unless English is your second language it’s kinda misleading.
What would possibly catch a rabbit? Well a few things. One a bunch of dogs running all over and lucking into one, maybe a sight chase but let’s talk about overtaking a rabbit w pressure. How would you pressure him when you’re going the wrong way? If the rabbit went southeast and you’re barking like an idiot running northwest wearing some run to catch insignia, you need real comprehension classes cause that’s not pressure.
No superiority in fast over runners. If I ever get any you guys could have em.
On hares it’s a dif story.
No brains at all running faster than you can imo and I never saw a fast dog that didn’t.

No intentions btw of any arguement so don’t assume that. Just honest opinion and food for thought. Lots of guys think like I do. Lots of guys think dif. I can respect that but this is why fellas from another forum run cleaner dogs

BMBeagles

Post by BMBeagles »

Good post bowguy. I ran a fast dogs years ago and realy thought i had something until the snow started flying and it froze up for the winter. Them dogs that looked like a million bucks in good scenting conditions were a complete train wreck in bad conditions and i couldnt stand hunting over them. I cleaned house and slowed things down . It made hunting more enjoyable for me
Kill more game to when i want too.

Bowguy

Post by Bowguy »

This is what the majority of guys seem to do, it seems, BM.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

A good medium to upper medium speed dog that can run the line with minimal losses while staying focused will wear out a lot of "fast" dogs. Often from the middle of the pack. That being said if you've ever owned one that can run the line with speed and accuracy with minimal losses you will never forget it and will always be hoping you're blessed with another some day. You'll also find it is extremely difficult to make up a pack of that kind.

It took awhile but I have come to the realization that a smooth running medium to upper medium speed dog can make me very happy!

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Bowguy wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:33 pm
Talk about pressure for the “run to catch” super dogs. The term is great but unless English is your second language it’s kinda misleading.
What would possibly catch a rabbit?
I will start with different speed hounds can “run to catch”, medium, medium plus, and so on. Any hound that runs with the intention to overtake its game is a run to catch type hound. Does not have to be a high flying swinging skirting type hound to be run to catch. On my speed scale I’ve owned medium speed hounds that in my opinion would “run to catch”. Then there are track hounds, that are so intent on smelling the track the rabbit could be 10 feet in front of it and it would be oblivious to the fact because it’s sole purpose is to run the track.

Also when Mr Holcombe (Daddy Rabbit) mentioned his hounds could leave them Blackcreek hounds back at the creek it isn’t because he has those high flying swinging skirting race horses. He has good medium plus speed hounds that run with the line between their legs, making the turns with the intent to “run to catch” and he’s been breeding that line for over 50years, and very successfully.

Not trying to start a pissing match, just clarifying.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Thanks, Bruce You Took the Words out Of My Mouth, and by the way, Mr. Holcombe was My Daddy !! I am D.R. and will soon be 80, run everyday but Sunday, and you fine me in the House If the Lord, so about time for me to get off here, get ready for church.

Keep Looking up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :angel:

P.S. Bruce (Likemfast) That a good Ol Boy !!
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Bowguy

Post by Bowguy »

Guys be clear, I’m cursing no mans dogs. Daddy rabbit I don’t know but know of his dogs. I’m also not defending blackcteek. Never even had one. Just showing other points of view

mud

Post by mud »

I have really enjoyed post from u all. After over 45 years owning beagles I don’t have a beagle now. I gave my 2 young dogs to my son and my 2 older dogs to a friend.. I plan to still hunt with my son when I can. I bought 2 Laika squirrel dogs gonna give it a try if I am not to old. LoL.. I finished up on a good note.. we took a Kansas trip last year. That was some kind of fun. I enjoyed it for sure.. Time spent with my son and a good friend. Weather was great and the dogs ran non stop. Some of my very best times in my life centered around beagles and the love of the outdoors. I must of passed it on to my son. He is a fish wildlife conservation officer...Thank u all for providing this site and others a wealth of knowledge..

likeemfast

Post by likeemfast »

Bowguy wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:46 am
I’m also not defending blackcteek.
Nobody can defend Back creek hounds, not even the owners. That’s why they get their shorts in a bunch when you talk about them.
Home of

HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Kickin Up Dust
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Ugly Sister
HOF GRHBCH Dizzy D's Top Notch Lacy
(aka UKC HBCH Red Oak Top Notch Lacy)