Gone With the Wind

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Newt

Gone With the Wind

Post by Newt »

What has happened to all things beagling.
Some of the boards have died and the others are barely visited anymore.
A few years back many clubs had their on bulletin board and Trials were listed for anyone to see.
There were two or three beagle magazines, now it seems they are dead.
I realize many of the beaglers whose names I would recognize have passed or grown old and had to give up the sport but it appears the sport is dying.
Hopefully its still strong and the technology has passed me by.

main event`s beagles

Re: Gone With the Wind

Post by main event`s beagles »

facebook seems like everything is on there.
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

I've felt the same way Newt.
I'll go to this board to see what's been posted and sometimes it will go a week without anything new coming up. It wasn't that long ago that this board was a hub for beagle news,discussions,pedigree searches,hunt schedules and results and just some general yada yada. Now it's dead. Either the beaglers have gotten apathetic or a ton of them have gotten out of the sport.
I'm on Face Book and have maybe 10 beaglers that I'm in touch with from time to time. I'm not a trialer so don't really have an interest in "friending" a club or association and getting flooded with all their trialing news. Main Events Beagles when you say "everything is on Face Book" what are you referring to? Is there a site that has a forum for open discussions?

Newt, I know you and I are in somewhat of the same age bracket and I'm sad to say that yes, I think the sport of free casting hounds on wild game to a certain degree is dying. I've been following tree hounds and running hounds for 50+ years now and I can say with certainty that it is a whole lot less popular now than it was say through the 70's-90's.
In the mid 70's when I was keeping tree hounds the competition Nite Hunts actually had more grade dog entries then registered. Then the registered dogs took over.Back then I went to some big hunts in North Carolina,Ohio,Mississippi,Georgia and the New England states and there might be well over 100 dogs entered.Haven't been to a Nite Hunt in 25 years but hear that entries are way down.
When I moved to Tennessee 23 years ago and started attending A.R.H.A. Little Pack hunts you most times would have 50-60 Open dogs. Now I talk to guys and most of the clubs around here will have a dozen-15 open dogs entered.Used to be when I was judging a few times we finished the finals cast with flashlights. Now they're often done and heading for the house by noon.
I run dogs year round but the only time it seems I see other beaglers out is during gun season. The rest of the year I pretty much have the running grounds to myself.
A lot of times you'll see guys post on this board that they are getting out of beagling cause they have no where to turn their dogs lose.I'm thankful that I'm not dealing with that,YET. But it is a problem in some areas of the country and will only get worse as more places become urbanized and more people get "urbanized "too and adopt a no hunting / private land mentality and not open to hunters / houndsmen.
I'm too old now to quit running dogs. If I wasn't doing this I don't know what else I'd do.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

RiverBottom

Post by RiverBottom »

We ain't all dead yet :roll:
Facebook is killing these boards. Check out the group Jam Up Rabbit Dogs, more posts and videos in a slow day than this board has ever had. I also follow All Weather Hare Hounds and Hare Hunters Discussion. I'm sure there are lots more.

One facebook group I like is called tally ho! Mostly about hound hunting in England. Lots of very good pictures of hounds and hunting, lately there have been a few videos of otter hunting with hounds. Pretty cool to see a big pack of hounds swimming down a river hunting otter.
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Thanks for the info. Will have to check some of them out.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Newt

Post by Newt »

Thanks River Bottom. Good to here there are still more than three of us still enjoying the hounds.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I'll have to agree with you Shady. I am probably in the same age bracket as you and Newt. Yes, it is getting harder and harder to find places to run dogs much less hunt and I said long ago that if one doesn't have their own property in some years they will have no place to hunt. From that point to today what I have seen is not only a totally different mentality about hunting and hunters as the city folk move to the burbs but also that a lot of farmers now turn their land over to hunting lease companies to handle for them during the times they have no crops in the fields. Around here where I live nearly any hunting property worth tromping is under a hunting lease. I am close to a lot of state ground but beings a lot of the private properties are posted and leased they are hunted to death and SMALL game is hard to come by. The state manages the big game well but does little for the small game. I remember when a kid our entire extended family would load up on a Saturday with 6 or 8 of us and see so many rabbits the limit was gotten by many in the group other than me as I wasn't very good with that ole single shot, break down 410 at the time. The other problem I see is that farming has changed and they now cut down and clear off woods, brush clear to the road and plant it leaving little to no habitat. I quit coon hunting because of the fact that the big dogs are impossible to control and with so much property posted they always got onto ground that was. I learned several years ago how non hunting, many people were to the point of NOT allowing me to go onto their property to retrieve my treed dog as well as having a friend of mine's dog shot and killed when they treed in a man's barn. My days in the field hunting coon are long past gone and bunnies with dogs has gotten less and less. My time hunting deer has gotten more because of the amount of deer and places we do have to hunt them have game. A deer also puts a lot of burger in the freezer when a rabbit is but one meal. Of course back when I was a kid and they were plentiful we had several meals off them as we went nearly every weekend. Now days, around here, one would kill a piece of property off in a matter of no time. We still go but not nearly as much as we once did and we do NOT care if we kill a bunny or not and most of the time we don't. We are long past the age of thinking getting the limit proves you are a great hunter or filling the tailgate means anything at all other than what game was there to run is depleted even more. today there are many, many more predators to assist in depleting small game than there was back in the day as well because a lot of them have been protected to the point they are taking over. Coyotes is one that comes to mind because back when I was a kid they had a bounty on them and three bucks was more then enough to buy a box of shotgun shells. My hunting partner cousin, and I attended to a couple of beagle trials and just were not impressed as it was nothing like how we would rabbit hunt with beagles. In fact all that running around after the dogs seemed to us to be counter productive to putting meat on the table in the most efficient manner.

main event`s beagles

what I meant was everything that used to get discussed on this board has moved to FACEBOOK. this is the first website I get on and if nothing is discussed on here. I get on the different facebook groups and there is a bunch of them. like I said I am loyal to this board and I check here first but its a thing of the past I think. posting pictures of dogs and pedigrees and just other things in general is being done on a cell phone and its easy to do. so if you post here I definitely read it and thank you for it.
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO

Bowguy

Post by Bowguy »

In regards to the sport “dying”, I personally don’t think so. Seems everyone around me runs and I used to be the only one.
Now it’s pretty simple how to regrow it in your area. It’s good for the sport, good for the dogs and we have strength the more people we get on our side. So get off your butts and mentor some kids. Tell their dad to come, maybe he never went either.
Who on earth wouldn’t like hearing a pack turning towards them w a rabbit headed their way only to shoot him and get to do it all over.
Maybe don’t use your secret spot but save a decent one for just this sort of thing.
Guess what, that older dog just sitting in there whining to be let out as you work your young dogs? Ask that kid if he wants em and GIVE the dog to him he’s prob gonna run em w you anyway and he’ll get to feed em.
Either way a boy and his hound become a man w packs. Don’t let the sport die, make a difference

main event`s beagles

amen
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Helloo:

D.R. here, and enjoyed reading this, "Gone With the Wind" Article, I check this Old Sight several times a week, but there is a new web sight for us Old Gun Hunters,, it called The Beagle Hound. Fellow from Ark. that started it up about a year ago, think the old fart, Mr. Will Messer, in Ky. Banned this fellow and Mr. /Will likewise Banned myself from the web sight that is hung up on black creek hounds.

Welcome to check out the new web sight, The Beagle Hound, its found on the Top 100 Hunting Beagle web sight. Bunch of good old gun hunters talking there at times but this time of year, not much gong onl

Daddy Rabbit~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

kwolf

Post by kwolf »

I too miss the post on here , I like the ones that share videos such as Bud Deny and Marty from Wisconsin. I hope that our sport is not dying but you don't see too many young people interested in running hounds , they would rather play video games .

Newt

Post by Newt »

Speaking of Bud Denny, I heard that he is out of beagling. I hope it isn't so. I'm disappointed anytime I read of a good man quiting the sport.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Yes, sadly Budd is out of hounds, he is into training labs now.

I don’t do the facebook thing, I check this site as well as the Hunted Hare and Rabbitdogs daily. HH has very few posts anymore as well but rabbitdogs has several posts per day but mostly geared towards the slow blackcreek hounds.

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Hay, I was on the Rabbitdog web sight, for a long time, one day someone ask me what I Thought about the Black Creeks, I owned one, myself and he made a Field Champion, in the P.P. progressive Pack, division.. Then he had to run in the Champion Class, he never did get another First place?

So when I was ask what I thought, I said They, named them Black Creeks , wrong !! I was Calling them,, BACK Creeks, in other words, my Long Red Train,, left them Back there at the creek !!

They Banned me from that web sight? So there you go, have to tell it like it was !!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia