Taking advantage of a rainy day

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kwolf

Taking advantage of a rainy day

Post by kwolf »

A good buddy of mine and myself had some real good running yesterday , it rained off and on and never got over 72 degrees . The rain kept the hounds and rabbits cool as they ran thru woods , weeds ,and soy beans. We put 13 to 14 miles on them which is pretty good for mid august. Getting them ready for a hare hunt in Michigan Oct. 20 thru 27 , can't wait this will be my first time to run hare. We were invited from a good friend of mine in Michigan so we will be up there with some guys that know the area , just hope my hounds can keep up !! I just retired this past April so I have been taking advantage of this rainy summer for sure . Take care my friends and get them hounds out and enjoy the sound of a good chase!!!

Aubrey Holcombe

Re: Taking advantage of a rainy day

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Hello:

I remember way back many years ago,when I retired from J & J Co, everyone was saying that I was going to the Golden years ? Now Don't let anyone be fooling you, There is No Such Thing?

Either I haven't go there, of Passed them already, getting close to 80, more like Rust Days, many Aches and Pains !!

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Aubrey Holcombe

Mr. Kwolf, where you located and I agree here in Ga. it was likewise, nice early day but did get warm about noon time.

I have two enclosure that I start and rum my young hound inside. the old doe's been jump inside and having their fawn, so I have to keep and eye on what that they running..

I put two old hound that will Not run anything but a rabbit in with the pups and they will tell on the younger hounds, so they can get that Ring Around the Collar, sensation if they run the long legged spotted things ??

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

kwolf

Post by kwolf »

Hi D.R. ,I live just east of Dayton Ohio. I'm 61 years old and diffently have more aches and pains than I had 20 years ago but am thankful that I can get out and run my hounds . This summer has been pretty wet for the most part so getting the dogs out has been real good . I ran dogs a couple weeks ago with a gentleman that was 85 years old , he still gets around real good , so I figure maybe I have at least 20 plus years to enjoy this sport of beagling. I don't know what I would do if I did'nt have hounds , like a lot of you I started with coon hounds and have been running beagles for almost 40 years, there is just something about the sound of hounds in pursuit of game that gets in you and you just can't wait for the next hunt.

TRK

Post by TRK »

If you are going to the UP of Michigan watch out for the wolves. I have been there several times and never had a problem, but I know several people who have had some issues with them.

Aubrey Holcombe

Hello:
Say I am a believer, in running my pack of gun dogs, with Bells. on their collars. to keep the Coyotes off my pack when running especially at Night! Just thought it might work on the big Wolves, not sure but worth trying it out, when in Wolves country?

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>