Rabbit recipes

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

BMBeagles

Rabbit recipes

Post by BMBeagles »

Whats y'all's favorite recipes for rabbit ? With hunting season right around the corner ive been looking at some
New recipies . Found one for Hopper Poppers ! Im gonna try . Lets here about some more !

main event`s beagles

Re: Rabbit recipes

Post by main event`s beagles »

nothing fancy for me, I like taters carrots and cream of mushroom soup in mine
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S SAMMIE TO ME
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S ROXIE
LP RCH GRBCH MAIN EVENT'S JOE
LP BCH MAIN EVENT'S COCO
LP RCH LPBCH BIG CITY'S CREEK
LP RCH LPBCH MAIN EVENT'S KILLA MASON

willow creek beagle

Post by willow creek beagle »

Tenderizing and making country fried hopper and gravy tonight kids love it.
During Hawkeye games (go hawks) a crowd favorite is 2-3 rabbits marinade in lipton onion soap mixed with chicken broth over night. Them season with your likings put in crock pot with can of cream celery and can of cream chicken on high for 4 hours or so until done about to fall off the bone.

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Rabbit catachori, couple loafs of Italian bread, bottle or 2 of red wine, over angel hair pasta. Sit back, eat,drink, replay the hunt in your mind

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

Flour,and Joe's stuff, (Joe's stuff is only available from the New Orleans School of cooking) brown in oil until crispy. Add water and simmer for 2-3 hours turning occasionally so as not to burn pieces on the bottom of the pan.
The meat will be falling off the bone and there will be a little gravy from the flour and water.
My mother made it when I was a kid and it's been my favorite way of cooking rabbit.

beagler86

Post by beagler86 »

One of my favorite and simplest ways to cook... deboned rabbits chunked up, soak in salt water for acouple hours to tenderize. Mix flour, yellow corn meal and season salt, dredge rabbit in mix, drop in deep fryer for acouple minutes... fried rabbit nuggets I call them.

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

One of my favorites and everyone seems to like it.

Rabbit Bruschetta Casserole

2lbs. rabbit meat
2 cups water
2 chicken flavored bullion cubes
salt and pepper
15 oz. can diced tomatoes,undrained
1 cup rabbit broth
1 clove minced garlic
1 table spoon Italian seasoning
1 box dry stuffing mix
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Salt and pepper rabbit generously and place in crock pot with 2 cups water and bullion cubes for 3-4 hours.
Remove rabbit from crock pot and reserve 1 cup rabbit broth and set aside
Dice rabbit meat
Preheat oven to 400
Place rabbit meat in a greased 9x12 baking dish
In a seperate mixing bowl,stir the diced tomato,1 cup broth and dry stuffing mix and set aside
Sprinkle rabbit meat with 2 cups cheese then top with stuffing mixture
Bake 30 minutes
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

warddog

Post by warddog »

reddog1 wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:49 pm
Flour,and Joe's stuff, (Joe's stuff is only available from the New Orleans School of cooking) brown in oil until crispy. Add water and simmer for 2-3 hours turning occasionally so as not to burn pieces on the bottom of the pan.
The meat will be falling off the bone and there will be a little gravy from the flour and water.
My mother made it when I was a kid and it's been my favorite way of cooking rabbit.
That is about the same as my grandmother used to make both rabbit and squirrel for us when we ALL got together at their place for hunting seasons. She didn't have the Joes stuff but she used her own seasonings and fried them up. then she made gravey, mashed taters and biscuits. I liked them fried crispy BUT my uncle liked them steamed in a little water so tender. She would fry some and then also put some in an ole cast iron dutrch oven she put on the wood stove to simmer. My uncle always complained because she made more of it fired for me and he liked it more tender steamed. Never seemed to be any left over regardless of how she fixed them.

Dan R

Post by Dan R »

gfedor wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:18 pm
Rabbit catachori, couple loafs of Italian bread, bottle or 2 of red wine, over angel hair pasta. Sit back, eat,drink, replay the hunt in your mind
I have heard this is a great recipe. My local butcher trades me rabbits for discount on my deer processing. His wife is from Itally and makes him catachori. He described using whiskey at some point but will not share the recipe. It's one of those family secrets. Could you share yours?
Thank you,
Dan