Cruz Control X Strange Daze Bella

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

TRK

Cruz Control X Strange Daze Bella

Post by TRK »

I am curious if anyone has anything out of this cross. I had a pup that I got from Greg Wells out of this in 2015. He was one of the best I have had. I have never had a dog with that much speed that worked a check so close. He had good speed but was not competitive for the front. When I ran him with faster dogs he would slot and turn the corners when they over ran the track. Ran solo with very few checks. He contracted lyme disease and after treatment did not get better and died tonight. I am just curious how the others from that litter turned out. If anyone knows of any of them please let me know and take this lyme disease serious I just learned the hard way.

Hare Chaser

Re: Cruz Control X Strange Daze Bella

Post by Hare Chaser »

My condolences on your loss of a nice young hound. The Lymes disease and other tick bourne diseases can be devastating to our 4 legged canine partners. The cost for prevention can be ridiculous as well but as you stated it needs to be taken seriously. Hope you're able to find another of his caliber. I must say this is the 1st instance I've heard of a dog actually dieing from Lymes Disease though.

TRK

Post by TRK »

I had noticed he seemed to be losing stamina. I took him to the vet and he tested positive for Lyme Disease. They put him on Doxycycline for a month. I noticed he started losing muscle and his abdomen looked swollen and he was drinking a lot of water. I took him back to the vet and they said the Lyme Disease was affecting his internal organs. They drew off some fluid from his abdomen and it looked like water. They said there was nothing they could do at that point. The vet told me they have seen the Lyme Disease effect dogs differently. He said some will never show any symptoms while this was a severe reaction.

JacksonBoys

Post by JacksonBoys »

Sorry to hear of your loss. There is a lot of Lyme disease popping up in eastern Ohio. Had a couple of buddies last week and between two of them 5 of their dogs tested positive for it. It is almost mandatory now a days to get your hound vaccinated as far as I'm concerned.
Jackson Boys Kennel and Starting Pen

PCH HBCH GRCH LPRCH and PKC $ winner Matt Dillon
HBCH GRCH Jacksons Jack on the Bone
FCGD PCH HBCH Jackson Boys Slick Willie (RIP Champ)
Bill's (614)965-2219

TRK

Post by TRK »

I have started to have some of mine vaccinated for Lymes. One vet told a friend of mine the vaccine is not very effective. I am really going to try to keep the ticks off of them.

JacksonBoys

Post by JacksonBoys »

We have had good luck with the purple cow tags. We don't feel this is a substitute for getting them vaccinated but in our experience they definitely help with ticks. We know some guys don't like them. Just our opinion. Once again sorry for your loss. We hate to lose any hound but it always seems like the extra special ones go too early.
Jackson Boys Kennel and Starting Pen

PCH HBCH GRCH LPRCH and PKC $ winner Matt Dillon
HBCH GRCH Jacksons Jack on the Bone
FCGD PCH HBCH Jackson Boys Slick Willie (RIP Champ)
Bill's (614)965-2219

steve w

Post by steve w »

Simparica is a pill,and Seresto collar's are what I am using after several of mine came up positive for tick born diseases. Buy the collars on eBay in large and cut them in half and zip tie to the regular collar. Simparica is not cheap but after the emergency vet bill I was willing to do anything and since I started using the two I have not pulled a tick off that attached all summer.