huntview questioned.

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mo. Beagler 5000

huntview questioned.

Post by Mo. Beagler 5000 »

thus far, I have resisted buying one because its 80.00 and because it doesnt come with updates.

for example, my garmin actual GPS unit for vehicle cost 90 dollars and has LIFETIME map updates and traffic updates that change often.

has anyone that's been using them had an issue with no updating or are they just things that dont change much and you dont care?

as always best person/place to buy then from?
God isn't real, Beer is good and people are crazy, there I fixed it.

pztrailman

Re: huntview questioned.

Post by pztrailman »

A friend of mine got one for Ohio. I wasn't that impressed by it. His card was a 2014 version. He purchased it last year. I wouldn't buy a map that far out of date.

Mo. Beagler 5000

right, that's my concern.... if it's just the garming birdseye oaded on a card for a whole state, that's pretty worthless because their maps are way older than say google earth by far already.

steve w

Post by steve w »

There on sale now here https://www.lcsupply.com/Garmin-Hunt-Vi ... /MISSOURI/
I guess you can look at it from the is the glass half full or half empty, no updates and the whole state in standard resolution is not the best. Yet having something is better then nothing and for the price even at full to get out of downloading all the spots I hunt it's more then worth the money to me. It's all I use and I find it adequate, with that said depending on terrain it might not be the best choice. If you run big pine woods it's all going to look the same, as opposed to farm fields broke up by woods and roads.The other factors to consider is the screen size and what your used to, the 2 or 3 inch on a Garmin unit does nothing any favors and some just may be more comfortable looking at a topo map or like in my buddy's case the compass screen and distance is as good as gets. Like I said earlier they work for me, I bought the Drive track when they were on sale, free Birdseye for a year and it didn't take me long to cough up another 79.00 for a Huntview card for it. I got a Onx card for the Alpha and didn't much care for it, but on the home computer or even the smart phone I find it quite use full, but that is a subscription and it does update. Hope all this helps.

steve w

Post by steve w »

Hey Mo.Beagler 5000 just got an email from Garmin and it appears they have a new version of Huntview, no wonder the old ones on sale
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/64669 ... MCJT-16218

Mo. Beagler 5000

son of a bitch!!! I knew it. every darn time I buy something a new model comes out.