Akc mid west

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Post Reply
BMBeagles
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:41 pm

Akc mid west

Post by BMBeagles » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Are the Akc mid west style beagles still the best for hunting ?

Aubrey Holcombe
Posts: 344
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:54 am
Location: Royston, Georgia
Contact:

Re: Akc mid west

Post by Aubrey Holcombe » Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:21 am

Not lf You Want To HAVE A Jump Dog ?

They can't beat the ARHA/NKC hounds, when it comes to finding a Rabbit.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

gunslinger
Posts: 160
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:22 pm

Re: Akc mid west

Post by gunslinger » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:36 pm

For a man so knowledgeable about rabbit dogs, that's the dumbest thing you could have said. I can show you jump dogs all day and all compete midwest or midsouth

mn_beagleboy
Posts: 485
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:05 am
Location: minnesota

Re: Akc mid west

Post by mn_beagleboy » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:08 am

Best way to find out is bring some dogs and go to one. Read the rules. Stay till it's over. No format is perfect. For a hunter who hunts with just couple dogs, spo Midwest is one of the best format. They look for close, clean, independent, med fast, good nose, honest mouth, hard hunting dog.
Minnesota Beagler

BCBeagles
Posts: 5532
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:27 am
Location: West Virginia

Re: Akc mid west

Post by BCBeagles » Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Well there it is an Insult and a perfect definition of what the rule books require, but not enforced in reality.......

Pretty much sums up what is left of what used to be a quality place to gather information.....the North American Beagle Board Forum....

Good running to all and take care!
Jim Hall
BUFFALO CREEK KENNELS

BREEDING HOUNDS FOR FIELD PERFORMANCE
GUN HUNTERS AND TRIALERS WELCOME ANYTIME! I WILL RUN ANY AND ALL HOUNDS IN MY KENNEL UPON REQUEST.

Newt
Posts: 5026
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:42 am

Re: Akc mid west

Post by Newt » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:27 pm

It depends on where you are hunting and the conditions. But most important it depends on the style that you most enjoy.
Beagling is supposed to be fun. If you like them, you feed them, run what you like

Hare Chaser
Posts: 306
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Akc mid west

Post by Hare Chaser » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:16 am

Newt wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:27 pm
It depends on where you are hunting and the conditions. But most important it depends on the style that you most enjoy.
Beagling is supposed to be fun. If you like them, you feed them, run what you like
:approve: :check:

allniter
Posts: 633
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:50 pm
Location: AUBURN IN

Re: Akc mid west

Post by allniter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:42 am

last one I attended 3 dogs were barking and running on logs and smelling up trees and the judge said that didn't mean anything
ALWAY GO BY THE RULES AND NEVER A PROBLEM

scockrell
Posts: 8
Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 am
Location: Rockwell, NC

Re: Akc mid west

Post by scockrell » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:30 pm

gunslinger wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:36 pm
For a man so knowledgeable about rabbit dogs, that's the dumbest thing you could have said. I can show you jump dogs all day and all compete midwest or midsouth
I’m not sure about how the Midwest and Midsouth score on hunt, jump and first strike but I do know that ARHA/NKC does score on those very things. That is a good format and competition for a beagle that is awarded for hunting and jumping.

Newt
Posts: 5026
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:42 am

Re: Akc mid west

Post by Newt » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:49 pm

allniter wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:42 am
last one I attended 3 dogs were barking and running on logs and smelling up trees and the judge said that didn't mean anything
Sounds like dual purpose hounds.
Squirrels and rabbits.

TRK
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:52 am

Re: Akc mid west

Post by TRK » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:05 am

I saw a judge give positive strike points to a dog opening on squirrel tracks in the snow one time at an ARHA event. Sometimes you get a judge that just doesn't really know what they are looking at.

sgc
Posts: 629
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:53 pm
Location: Lower Michigan

Re: Akc mid west

Post by sgc » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:28 pm

This post smells like a set up by bmbeagles. I can't believe anyone responded.

danny vansickle
Posts: 2866
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:12 pm
Location: WHEELERSBURG OHIO
Contact:

Re: Akc mid west

Post by danny vansickle » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:54 pm

That's just crazy talk.....
Aubrey Holcombe wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:21 am
Not lf You Want To HAVE A Jump Dog ?

They can't beat the ARHA/NKC hounds, when it comes to finding a Rabbit.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
DVS ink Kustom Tattoos and Body Piercings
"SOUTHERN OHIO'S ONLY ONE STOP TATTOOS AND PIERCINGS HEAD SHOP "
740-285-1911
FC HOWARDS BANDIT

Newt
Posts: 5026
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:42 am

Re: Akc mid west

Post by Newt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:58 pm

danny vansickle wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:54 pm
That's just crazy talk.....
Aubrey Holcombe wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:21 am
Not lf You Want To HAVE A Jump Dog ?

They can't beat the ARHA/NKC hounds, when it comes to finding a Rabbit.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
Have you ever owned Progressive Pack hound? I think bloodline/breeder has more to affect on hunt than Trial format. I've owned beagles from about every bloodline, some will and some won't.

mybeagles
Posts: 2166
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:35 pm
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Akc mid west

Post by mybeagles » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:26 pm

The question I always ask is......Are the hounds in my kennel full of desire, hunt hard, have a good nose and act sensible? Regardless of what association you run in there will be good and bad. Handle your own business and don't worry about what others run and it will serve you well.
Rose City Set 'Em Up Joe
Rose City I’ve got an Agenda
Rose City Juice Ain’t Worth the Squeeze

Post Reply