MY FIRST HARE HUNT

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

kwolf

MY FIRST HARE HUNT

Post by kwolf »

I had the oportunity to go on my first hare hunt 10-20 thru 10-27 on Drummomd Island . What a great time we had . The hare at times were hard to come by because the island had been gunned pretty heavey . I have never heard hounds run with so much intensity , they pounded with run to catch speed! On Thursday we decided to go back across the bridge and stay at 2 cabins that some of the guys owned. Friday morning we went to a spot just to run hare , no guns, Gene Beyers of Lake Ogemaw Kennels was there with 6 hounds, all together we had 26 hounds on the ground, omg what a sound that was . Some dogs the first couple hours were running over 11 mph , one of mine was at 10.6, smoking for sure.At the end of the run over 25 miles and still at 9 mph. We made some new friends and had a great time that I will not ever forget! Thanks to all that made this possible , hope to do it again. Ron Preston

reddog1

Re: MY FIRST HARE HUNT

Post by reddog1 »

I also left the Island on that Thursday. I caught the 10:10 boat. There were 2 other trucks with hound trailers on the boat also. Could that hve been you.? I agree that the Island gets gunned pretty hard thats why we don't shoot we just run.
I'm not against shooting hare but shooting every hare one sees is a bit ridiculous.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Glad you enjoyed yourself. Those memories will stay with you for years!

I've only run cottontail with my hounds a couple days. I made a trip down to TN to my buddy Shady Grove's place to pick up a pup and stayed a week in 2012. The dogs I had at the time did OK I thought. If I lived where I only had cotton tails to run I'd still do it but my heart is definitely in the chase the snowshoe hare provides. The other thing I enjoy is running in big country. It sounds like many of you fellas in the mid-west and south have small tracts of land that you hunt. That would be hard to get use to for me. Many of the spots I run in here in NH and VT are places few will go either because it's to much work to get in to them or because they're nervous about putting hounds down in big country. Many days in the winter I will hike in on snowshoes for a 1/2 hr to an hour before cutting the dogs loose. Not to many people interested in doing that and truth be told my days are limited in how much longer I can do that. Age takes it's toll on the human body and snow shoes can work this 60 year olds body hard some days...........but it's still worth it to me in the end........... most days!

kwolf

Post by kwolf »

Hey Reddog , I think we caught the 2:10 ferry that day and there were 3 of us pulling trailers. I wanted to shoot a hare so I could say I killed one , I shot one on Monday and laid my gun down and ran in and douve on the hare and the dogs covered me up , another second later and I would not had one for my picture. Hare chaser you are right I will not forget that for a long time, I think I am hooked for sure. To me it is not about the kill , it’s all about the chase. We have some spots here in Ohio that the cottontail run big and long , we have put as high as 28 miles on dogs in a hunt several times but not at those speeds .

reddog1

Post by reddog1 »

I remember the excitement I felt when I shot my first hare. That was many years ago but I still get that feeling when I turn hounds loose on the Island. It's good you got to experience the thrill. It's an addiction that's hard to beat.

Reddog