Maine

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Swampman

Maine

Post by Swampman »

Drove to Maine to run/hunt hare for a week with Dennis (RI), Dan (NH) and Brandon (ME).

Woke up Sunday morning to some beautiful snow falling on top of approx. 1-2 feet already on the ground, thought I was in a dream.
We ate breakfast, loaded up and drove to our first spot but didn't see much for hare sign. We moved to another spot and just after releasing the hounds, I realized I was in a nightmare, the snow turned to rain(ughh)!

It rained most of the day Sunday through Monday night, we continued to run both Sunday and Monday in the rain and the hounds did a fair job considering the conditions (who would think we'd need rain gear in Dec.).
Tuesday we wake to single digits and hard crusty snow, it was tough tracking but again, the hounds geared down and did a fairly good job. This is how the rest of the week went and really tore up the hounds feet.
Friday was our best day, we found a new honey hole and the hounds put on a show and we even gunned a few (I need to buy stock in the ammo that Dennis buys)! :D

I was pleased with how the hounds geared down for the conditions and really ran well as a pack even though most of the hounds had never ran with each other before.

We have some great stories from the week, (Dan will never be called quick draw McGraw)! :D
All 3 can't speak English worth a lick, they leave out r's in words that have them and add r's to words that don't, I lost count how many times I said, WTH did you say??? :lol:

I've talked with all three on the phone, texts, pm's and emails but this is the first time I've met them in person. I had a great time and feel like I've made life long friends.

I can't thank Dennis enough for his hospitality, he truly is second to none!

gfedor

Re: Maine

Post by gfedor »

Very cool, on my bucket list

steve w

Post by steve w »

Only in the beagle world can people that have never met get along like old friends when they do. Glad you had a good time and the weather just "spiced up" your trip :D

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

Sometimes these kinds of gatherings can go south.........for men and hounds, Guys who have never met in person, gathering to put down a bunch of dogs that have never run together and in the midst of tough conditions can sometimes spell disaster all the way around. What a wonderful surprise to watch these hounds seemingly figure it out and run together as a pack. Perhaps our best pack the 5 days I was involved was made up of dogs ranging from 18-1/2" to 12". Ordinarily I'd think that was a recipe for disaster but they figured it out in about the 1st hour of the 1st day they ran. There wasn't much high flying flat out races but to me they demonstrated exceptional patience, given the conditions, with literally every hound contributing. This will definitely be a trip to remember for me.