Latest reproducing rabbit hounds

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

bunnytracks

Latest reproducing rabbit hounds

Post by bunnytracks »

just curious what are the reproducing studs today that produce the aggressive hunt, good line control; nose,and handleing?

sgc

Re: Latest reproducing rabbit hounds

Post by sgc »

Good qualities to look for. I wonder if you might want to be more specific on the "line control". There is probably a whole spectrum on what people view as line control.

Hare Chaser

Post by Hare Chaser »

...............also, why does the stud get all the interest/credit for "producing" these "qualities"? Give me a good reproducing bitch and I can take her to the stud of my choosing that I feel compliments her strengths and weaknesses. A good bitch line is as valuable or more so in my book. Ideally you want both but if I have to choose I'll take a top bitch.

Newt

Post by Newt »

bunnytracks wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:33 pm
just curious what are the reproducing studs today that produce the aggressive hunt, good line control; nose,and handleing?
What is the breeding on your bitch, what area of the country,and which game are you hunting?
If you own a good bitch that satisfies you, you need to stay with the style, speed of your bitch.

bunnytracks

Post by bunnytracks »

I will try to be more specific What I mean by line control, is a dog that hangs with the track not cut sworp, or barks when it is not where the rabbit just left its scent, I have tried different,blood lines and have liked what Reggie and switch a gear has thrown in my kennel. I agree that the bitch must be good enough to breed to or don't breed at all. but I like a dog that can run the rabbit as fast as his nose and brain can handle, and not overrun both... oh by the way I now have aitls dirt road zipper female top and bottom, and two pups from scrougham's kennel

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Good post, always trying to breed forward, but I'm a firm believer into looking for a solid line breeding program, not just the "flash in the pan" recent field champ. If you look at Branko line a lot of field Champs year after year etc, same with daddy rabbit beagles constant line breeding or close to it throughout the decades will almost always produce great rabbit dogs.
Just my opinion,

tdog

Post by tdog »

I have some line bred jigs that does well for me.. I agree that a line bred hound tends to produce more consistently. Nose, hunt, and control are all important.. Breed for the best rabbit dog and you will do fine.. For me it is Jiggs..

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

I find that Location is mighty important,, Cotton Tail hounds and the Big Ga.Swamp Hare run lots differently, than the rabbits of the North, west and even in the state of Ga.

What I breed for is HUNT, No Trash, and that is the Must Have in my Breeding Program !! The Females are Just as Important as the Fld.Ch,Males, to my way and Experience.

Now when it comes to Mouth I am still working on that ! Everyone has their preference on what color they are, I prefer my Long Red Train to be RED, but that don't get the job done when it comes to Line control and true mouth-ll

I am still working on the Perfect Gun Dog, but to date never seen one?

Where you live and run has a lots to do with how they run.. I wish everyone could experience trying to run them those little Blue Bellies that is located in South, Ga. they tough;;

Keep Looking Up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia