most desired trait

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

gfedor

Re: most desired trait

Post by gfedor »

bunnytracks wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:55 pm
where to find such?
I'm a firm believer of finding a long line of proven gundogs that are line bred. Depending on what style you like, I prefer med x med plus line. I like the flat creek , Mr bill line , kalagha. But would love to get some of the faster wiercreek line. The ones I've seen were awesome hunting machines, constantly in the thick stuff, never skirting, .

I also dabbled with the Branko x Northway line back in the 1990s, awesome meathounds, would run a rabbit til they caught it or till they dropped. Did many crosses breddings of the line, just couldn't tighten up the line to my likings.

What are you looking for

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

gfedor:

I Like what you have to say about, your breeding program, starting in the 1990's. Strange your program sounds exactly what I have been striving for in a Gun Dog!
The flat creek bloodline I never have seen or heard anything about that line? otherwise I went heavy on the Ol Weir Creeks, especially the Cotton Country Scout, the first Progressive Pack Gr.Fld.Ch. to pass certification. Too step them up on foot speed with lots of line control, I went with another P.P. Gr.Fld Ch. that came from out west Honey Springs Radar, He was one of a kind, made Gr. HOF, won thee Sunshine Mills Hound Of The Year, for two consecutive years. when Mr. George Blaine was his owner. I was fortunate enough to get Radar from George, and he was with me as my Stud to his passing away.
To pick up some foot speed, with good line control I went with a little male, got off Phil & Emily Roark, Indiana this was a God Sent Blessing to my breeding, Never owned another his equal he was Lilly Creek breed hound. I was out of the Field Trials, just Gun Dogs.
Still breeding gun dogs today, been line breeding these little hounds, now for 39 years, yep went hunting yesterday with my two Grand Sons had a ball. Got on some Big GA.Swampers. I was top of my old RTV 900 Kubota had my little 410 ready, but just couldn't shoot they were Sounding Oh! soo good!!
not them boys were firing away. The got three, two of them were the Big Swampers and they keep that pack of six (6) D.R.hounds in the swamp half day. They took a few photos when it got too hot for the old hounds, so maybe I can get them to post them here on this web sight later today.

Keep Looking Up
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Aubrey Holcombe wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:34 am
gfedor:

I Like what you have to say about, your breeding program, starting in the 1990's. Strange your program sounds exactly what I have been striving for in a Gun Dog!
The flat creek bloodline I never have seen or heard anything about that line? otherwise I went heavy on the Ol Weir Creeks, especially the Cotton Country Scout, the first Progressive Pack Gr.Fld.Ch. to pass certification. Too step them up on foot speed with lots of line control, I went with another P.P. Gr.Fld Ch. that came from out west Honey Springs Radar, He was one of a kind, made Gr. HOF, won thee Sunshine Mills Hound Of The Year, for two consecutive years. when Mr. George Blaine was his owner. I was fortunate enough to get Radar from George, and he was with me as my Stud to his passing away.
To pick up some foot speed, with good line control I went with a little male, got off Phil & Emily Roark, Indiana this was a God Sent Blessing to my breeding, Never owned another his equal he was Lilly Creek breed hound. I was out of the Field Trials, just Gun Dogs.
Still breeding gun dogs today, been line breeding these little hounds, now for 39 years, yep went hunting yesterday with my two Grand Sons had a ball. Got on some Big GA.Swampers. I was top of my old RTV 900 Kubota had my little 410 ready, but just couldn't shoot they were Sounding Oh! soo good!!
not them boys were firing away. The got three, two of them were the Big Swampers and they keep that pack of six (6) D.R.hounds in the swamp half day. They took a few photos when it got too hot for the old hounds, so maybe I can get them to post them here on this web sight later today.

Keep Looking Up
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
Mr Holcombe,

“It got too hot for the hounds”
That sounds funny this time of year where I’m from. ;)
I would like to meet you some day and run/talk hounds.

As for the original posters question, it all starts with brains.
I’ve been told by good friends that I expect too much from a hound, but if you’re going to breed hounds, I believe you better have high expectations to better the breed.
The following are all equally important to me:
Hunt
Snow nose
Line control
Close check work
Conformation
Biddability
Kennel manners
Trash free

RH

Aubrey Holcombe

Yep, I should have said it got too Hot for these boys and Myself, them Long sleeve Red Shirts Had to Come Off, once we had those Photo's made we were in T shirts on the drive back to 'Rabbit Town", USA

The youngest Grandson, had to drive back down South to ABAC Collage, where he is a Senior will be out soon. Been raining here all day and tonight, going to stop by day break, Doc an I going to Gun Hunt again today, was 70 degrees high Sat. going to be in the high 60's today and Dew Point 58% Hounds should Rock and Roll in the swamps today going to be running, my young hounds today some first time shooting over them.

Keep Looking Up !

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

Aubrey Holcombe

I would like to Apologize, for my Rude interference on this Mighty, interesting post. So sorry for my Red Neck manners. We could not get the Photo's to show up in this web Sight.

However there is four (4) of them on another web sight called The Beagle Hound, www.thebeaglehound.net/

D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<<>>

Aubrey Holcombe

Just one more time,, The Title on The Beagle Hound web sight is Swamp Rabbit Hunt

Enjoy we Pure Breed Ga. Red Necks,, so Proud of My Grandson's

D.R.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>