Dog Boots?

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Mike McPherson

Dog Boots?

Post by Mike McPherson »

Anyone have any experience with running dogs with dog boots? We have had so much ice/crust this past week. Real tuff on dogs feet, Anyone have an opinion or experience with any particular brand that has or has not worked?

Hunt-Em-Up
Mike
Hunt-Em-Up Kennels

Hare Chaser

Re: Dog Boots?

Post by Hare Chaser »

Don't know what your terrain is like where you hunt or if you hunt hare or cottontail. I am strictly running hare and would never try dog boots on my hounds. One, I would think they could easily become caught in brush piles, briars,old fence,etc. Two,there are times when in crust conditions the dogs break through. You can imagine the force that puts on a dog trying to pull their legs back up through the crusted snow while trying to pursue their game.

Here in the Northeast we've had a fair amount of crusted snow this year. To date we've had 81" of snow but seems like within 2 days of every snow storm it warms up and rains just enough to create a nasty crust. Last weekend was the best conditions in that regard I've had all year. Crust was strong enough that the dogs could motor around about anywhere they wanted to go with the plus of 1/2"-1" od new snow on top made for some enjoyable running"

Good luck and let us know if you try the boots how it works out for ya or more importantly..........the hounds!