Brinsky's Run-em Over Tank

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

LR Patch

Re: Brinsky's Run-em Over Tank

Post by LR Patch »

My 1st Day-Glo collars came from Bill Boatmans .... they had just hit the market !!
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

Aubrey Holcombe

Post by Aubrey Holcombe »

Randy:

Better be careful goanna, mess around and tell your age if you not careful, them old lights was the things back in the Day !

Good to hear from you, friend.

D.R.~~~~~~~~~>> :check:
ARHA Hall Of Fame, own "The Daddy Rabbit Kennels", Royston, Georgia

JacksonBoys

Post by JacksonBoys »

I remember when the Tank dog was doing all kinds of winning. He was a champ and grand champ in many formats . ARAH Progressive Pack , AKC Champ, and finished in UKC Hunting Beagle ,,,line dog that could flat run a rabbit and knew how to work a check....made a lot fast hounds look foolish from what I understand
Jackson Boys Kennel and Starting Pen

PCH HBCH GRCH LPRCH and PKC $ winner Matt Dillon
HBCH GRCH Jacksons Jack on the Bone
FCGD PCH HBCH Jackson Boys Slick Willie (RIP Champ)
Bill's (614)965-2219

JHayes

Post by JHayes »

I judged Tank in the ARHA US CHAMPIONSHIP in 1999.
It was in the grand class over a foot of snow on the ground that Sunday morning.
Dogwood kennels has Mainman and I believe Lucy in the finals as well as George Blaine Honey Springs Radar.
Tank jumped the only rabbit we ran in the cast. He pushed the rabbit fairly well for the conditions and put the rabbit in a hole. He was the only dog to run the rabbit the other dogs never barked.
Very impressive to watch

Aubrey Holcombe

I was at the same P.P. hunt either the year before, and it was No snow, I ran my little Red Female D.R's Squeal's the OPEN class That year. been so long ago, I can't remember the Year, if you say it was 1999, it was. I remember the boys that was Tenn. Dogwood boys Jimmy Wenton & Billy Fielder. big boy was Billy and the little talker was Jimmy, I call them "Mutt & Jeff" !!

The Honey Springs Radar was a Mighty Fine hound he was owned by A young kid from Oklahoma. by the name of Rocky Smith, Mr. George Blaine from Oak Grove La. Bought Radar. and he made a Gr.Fld Ch, He let me have Radar the next year and he won the Sunshine Mill HOT Year in that class for two (2) years in a row. I won it in the Open Class with my Little Red D.R.'s Squeal ! They Payed $1,000 & 1000 pounds of Sunshine Mill's Sportsman Pride Dog Feed!!

That was the Only Thing that Tank, Never did win the Big Money $$ and I seen him run against Mr. Georg's Ch. Cookie I think it was the year before The Big Snow, I woke up in the middle of the night and it was showing so hard that myself and my son got out of bed and took of coming back to Ga. Mr. George called me the next day said it was a mess that none of the hound's could Smell, just like you said!! You had to hand it to Tank he and Mr.

Blaine's Ch.Cookie ran for a Tie the year before and there was an over time run when Tank did beat her by just one check. She did Win the Big Money in the Ch. Class, and Honey Spring Radar won the $ in the Gr.Fld.Ch. Class. I won the $ in the Open class. My little female was small So I Did Not Certify her the next year let her stay in the Open class. and I had a Big Male, I called him D.R.'s King he was the Winner of the Big $ that year, in the Ch.class there was No Grands, First year of the Sportsman Pride Contest.. I think Tank was being ran on the AKC about that time was many years ago.

That Run off that I seen them run with Tank and Cookie was the best Race I ever witnessed. he definitely lived up to his name!!

I hate it snowed that night, but glad We got out of there when we did!

Daddy Rabbit
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :dance:

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Jackson Boys
Don't mean any disrespect. But when did Tank ever run against any "fast" dogs? Not in the formats he was trialed in.
Not taking anything away from Tank's ability. For the style of dog he was, he was at the top of his game.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

JacksonBoys

Post by JacksonBoys »

Shady Grove ,Well If you do some research on Tank he was a UKC Hunting Beagle Champ.....he finished in 3 or 4 hunts if im not mistaking. UKC Hunting beagle run some fast hounds, I joke with my son Jamey that his Jack on the Bone dog is the slowest UKC Hunting Beagle Champ in history then I think of Tank so maybe not. What im saying is when you get a good hound that runs a medium speed and know how to run a rabbit he can make a fast hound look foolish.....a lot of these fast hounds of today over run the track and don't know how to snap back....well you put a competitive medium speed hound in that mix and he will keep up just fine when they drive,.. but you will find he also does all the fixing.....I like a fast hound myself but seen it to many times when a slower hound gets the best of em…….. Food for thought on a UKC Hunting beagle: The UKC scores speed and drive and the ability to jump a rabbit.
Last edited by JacksonBoys on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jackson Boys Kennel and Starting Pen

PCH HBCH GRCH LPRCH and PKC $ winner Matt Dillon
HBCH GRCH Jacksons Jack on the Bone
FCGD PCH HBCH Jackson Boys Slick Willie (RIP Champ)
Bill's (614)965-2219

Aubrey Holcombe

Dana:

The Tank hound was Not a Run To Catch hound, I SEEN him run a good many times, he was tough in the med, speed, the Run OFF P.P.. CHAMPIONSHIP that I was talking about against Mr. George's P.P.Champion Cookie, she was a Black Creek breed female, so that should say a lots about these two hounds speed, somewhere about a 6 speed , at best.

The Honey Springs Radar, hound that Rocky Smith once owned and made a Gr.Fld.Ch. when Mr.George bought him from Rocky was good bit quicker than, his Cookie, so he ran her in Ch, class for the $, bought Radar and road him all year in the Gr.Chp. and won the $ with Radar. He did that for two years, and Tank was around all year, but never won against Radar, except the one occasion when it Snowed all night and was still snowing next day when the young man that posted he was the judge and No hound could smell a rabbit that day except Tank. I got my little Red Open class female and got out of that part of the country, I can't drive well in the snow and our Red neck hounds can't run a rabbit, so it's time for me to depart the scene.

D.R.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>>

Shady Grove Beagles

Post by Shady Grove Beagles »

Hey Guys
I am by NO means any expert on Tank.Never saw him run. Maybe I shouldn't have even commented on this post as the guy originating it [now that I look back on his post ] asked for"first hand " info. and I sure don't have that.Being a "forum" I figured when few were responding to his initial request that I'd put in what I knew from other houndsmen.
The fellow I mentioned in my first post handled dogs for others in U.B.G.F. trials.He lived right off the Interstate in Manchester,Tn. For the life of me I can't recall his name.I ran with him and some of the dogs he was trialing and they were pretty conservative and ran about a 5 speed.He said he'd run against Tank and beat him with a dog he was handling for someone else.He commented that at one point his hound "wheel barrowed" Tank.That gave me some idea of what the dog may run like.This was U.b.G.F. 20 years ago and maybe they've stepped it up since then but the ones I saw here in Tn. back then were VERY conservative.
Daddy Rabbit mentioned the Dogwood Kennel that was owned by Jimmy Winton and Billy Fielder. I knew both those guys and have been to Billy's house and run against and judged some of their hounds when I was active in Little Pack.Their hounds were good dogs but did not have the foot and drive to be successful in Little Pack.They tried it but soon quit coming to those trials.Don't know what Progressive Pack is like now but back then guys with hounds that couldn't compete in the Little Pack format were going to Progressive Pack.
Daddy Rabbit mentioned Tank running against a Black Creek dog.Black Creek has always been known as pretty conservative medium speed hounds and in fact some have kiddingly referred to them as "Back Creek".In the 23 years I've lived here in the south I've had the opportunity to see many of the Black Creek,Skull Fork,Shorts,Crank's Chicken,etc. dogs run. I find them to be too conservative / careful for my taste in a running hound and medium speed at best.Over the past 50 years I've run bear,coon,bobcat,fox,hare,swampers,cottontails and coyotes and i like a hound a bit more edgy than others may.
I can appreciate a hound that gets his work done and does it right and by all accounts Tank was at the top of his game for the type of hound he was.
As always JMHO.
Home of a true hunting beagle that run to catch

Aubrey Holcombe

Dana:

I am going to send you an E-mail, mught want to ask you about some little ones?

Keep Looking Up!
D.R.~~~~~~~~~~~~~>> :check: