Indiana Coal Mines-SAD

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

MasonsBeagles

Indiana Coal Mines-SAD

Post by MasonsBeagles »

Went to the World Hunt last weekend. Took the time to tour the coal mines, I havent been in about 10 yrs. It was sad to think of the way it use to be. Rabbit Running Heaven!!!! I use to run my dogs there about every weekend and you could just cut loose anywhere. That has all changed!!! Now every thing is POSTED and even the remote running areas I use to use is posted, landscape has changed as well. I was told by a local that all of it was shutdown to Public Hunting due to a Deer Hunter that went to climb into a tree stand and fell out. The deer hunter ended up suing the Coal Company and they shut it down. If that is true that one man ruined it that is a absolute shame. Dang sue happy country and idiot that probably had no business hunting to begin with. PROGRESS I GUESS!!!! just a sad sight so many great memories over their with Wayne Waitts, Jay Painter, David Schlaug, Jimmy, Bobby and RIP Danny Padgett.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.

warddog

Re: Indiana Coal Mines-SAD

Post by warddog »

I'll also add that the mines have taken back a lot of the property even from the Indiana State DNR. Most of the old Minnihaha property is now posted to the hilt. I live right out near it and the property is either under private ownership OR under a lease. That is the other thing here, hunting lease companies get involved with this type of property. If one wants to hunt they will have to pay 30+ dollars per acre to lease. with little to no rabbits held on the property BUT plenty of deer and turkeys. I've been saying it for awhile now but what used to be in Indiana for small game hunting is long past gone and if one does not own their own they are soon going to have to draw a number to get in Public ground as every hunter in the state will be there tryin to jump a rabbit.

randy hicks

Post by randy hicks »

I remember the mines in the early 90`s place was amazing huge running plenty of space to hold A World hunt-we seem to run every place we wanted to without any problems- now all the changes is sad to see- the same thing is happening here in Ohio also- just no place to run or work a hound left- the state dirt well it seems like everyone has to kill every rabbit the hound runs- I know men cant kill them all but they sure do put a huge dent in the population. private dirt most wont let you run on it for its a lease for deer or turkey-the hunters say no dogs- one day blue tongue will run thru the herd then maybe the leases will die also and the small game guys may get a place to run again.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

I have fond memories running the strip mines in the early-mid 90's running hounds with Bill Bredemeier.
I use to make 3 to 4 trips/year down there, the area was so big, the cottontails ran like hare.
We never gunned, just ran hounds, truly is sad to hear that is no longer possible.

MasonsBeagles

Post by MasonsBeagles »

yep the ole races we use to have were unreal. I could run 2-3 days a week at home and go their on the weekends and really blow a dog out. Races out of hearing and back youd swear it was a deer or fox. Glad got the memories but boy does it make it sad driving those ole gravel roads.
Please visit
http://www.LiveStockSeller.com NEW LIVESTOCK SITE. Totally Free Listings
http://www.NeededPrayers.com we have just relaunched.