Dog bedding

A general forum for the discussion of hunting with beagles, guns, clothing and other equipment and just talking dawgs! (Tall tales on hunting allowed, but remember, first liar doesn't stand a chance)

Moderators: Pike Ridge Beagles, Aaron Bartlett

Dan R

Dog bedding

Post by Dan R »

Dog bedding has always been important for my hounds. I have tried several types and change with the season. In the summer I like to use cedar shavings. I have always been told of the natural pest deterent so I use it. Not as soft as pine shavings but ok for summer. In the winter I switch over to hay or straw. I have heard of straw causing problems so I mostly migrate to hay. I wanted to see what everyone else is using. Alot of good knowledge shared on this board. Thank in advance.
Dan

Newt

Re: Dog bedding

Post by Newt »

Its hot here in East Tennessee so I just put a piece of carpet in the box. In winter I use cedar chips.

warddog

Post by warddog »

I have used everything from carpet to straw, hay, cedar and pine chips. They ALL seem to get wet and in the winter they ALL freeze after they get wet. I now use nothing and make sure the plastic barrel dog houses have door flaps to keep out the wind. Never had a problem with this in years even when below zero for a few days. I just make sure I feed them warm meals in the winter.

Swampman

Post by Swampman »

Pine shavings year-round, change out to new bedding every month.

My Vet warned me years ago to stay away from cedar shavings due to the oil in cedar.
Bill Bredemeier warned me as well years ago about the strong cedar smell affecting their nose.

beagler86

Post by beagler86 »

Not sure if its right but its what I do. Nothing in the warmer months and pine shavings in the colder months. I do kennel dogs together, the ones I cant Ill throw an old blanket or shirt in the house for them in the winter.

gfedor

Post by gfedor »

Summer months just a layer of cedar shavings, come winter I mix the cedar shavings with hay, also have the hound heater setup in dog house for when it gets in the single digits.
As far as cedar effecting their nose, I have know idea, all I can say been doing this cedar shaving for 30 yrs, dogs run fine, have small video of dogs running on solid ice, minus 15 degrees with windchill with no problem, go figure.

LR Patch

Post by LR Patch »

I LIKE AND USE PINE STRAW IN THE SUMMER AND USE AND PREFER WHEAT STRAW IN THE WINTER , I PREFER THE STRAW OVER HAY AS HAY GENERALLY VERY A LOT MORE DUSTY THAN STRAW
Randy Vanosdale
LOUDON RIDGE PATCH
KL Vanosdale

http://www.loudonridgepache.com

Home of the tried and true Patch Hound! "Where honesty and
good hounds are a family tradition"

sgc

Post by sgc »

Swamp grass.